P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
6 million per is just too much to pay at this point in his career. We have a cap to manage remember? If you want to attract FA's then you need cap space to operate. MDZ understands that and it seems PK does not.:help:

MDZ wasn't the NYR's top Dman for the past year and a half, or top 2 before that.
The season previous to last, he was actually the 5th Dman in terms of avg ice time at ES. He was having a rather average year (to be nice) that was shortened due to injury.
In his rookie year, he was 5th again in ES TOI, not even averaging 15min a game in that situation. PK was averaging about 2min more of ice time at ES alone, and by the mid point of the season, he had surpassed Hamrlik as the #1 Dman of this team.
Now, that's only speaking of ice time.
When you look at negotiation power, in NYC, they have Girardi, Staal, McDo, if MDZ plays hard ball, they can be patient and be just fine thanks to their depth.
In Mtl, if Markov doesn't perform as he once did, without PK, we'd be in huge trouble. Heck, even with Markov, every other Dman have to perform well in order for us to even think of handling the loss of PK. We would need Emelin, Diaz and Kaberle to really step up.

Needless to say, the situation is not at all comparable, I don't understand why people use MDZ's contract as some sort of measurable point. I actually feel Tyler Myers is the best comparable, very very similar up bringing and performances over their two first years. Myers signed 7year deal avg 5.5M, PK could very well get something similar, and he deserves it.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Just take a 2 year deal Subban!!

Wtv i'm not really worried, expect, why is he still in Toronto, why not come and stay in Mtl so once the deal is signed at night or something, he'll be set to be a pratice the next morning, by staying in T.O 1 day wasted for travel.

PunkinDrublic*

Wtv i'm not really worried, expect, why is he still in Toronto, why not come and stay in Mtl so once the deal is signed at night or something, he'll be set to be a pratice the next morning, by staying in T.O 1 day wasted for travel.

Huh ? The plane to MTL is 1 hour hahaha

Habtchum*

1- his agent is in TO

2- there is a plane every half hour from TO to MTL (at least)

But..

PK must have an apt already in MTL...

Puzzling a bit but not surprising. He follows his agent's advices.

Habtchum*

MDZ wasn't the NYR's top Dman for the past year and a half, or top 2 before that.
The season previous to last, he was actually the 5th Dman in terms of avg ice time at ES. He was having a rather average year (to be nice) that was shortened due to injury.
In his rookie year, he was 5th again in ES TOI, not even averaging 15min a game in that situation. PK was averaging about 2min more of ice time at ES alone, and by the mid point of the season, he had surpassed Hamrlik as the #1 Dman of this team.
Now, that's only speaking of ice time.
When you look at negotiation power, in NYC, they have Girardi, Staal, McDo, if MDZ plays hard ball, they can be patient and be just fine thanks to their depth.
In Mtl, if Markov doesn't perform as he once did, without PK, we'd be in huge trouble. Heck, even with Markov, every other Dman have to perform well in order for us to even think of handling the loss of PK. We would need Emelin, Diaz and Kaberle to really step up.

Needless to say, the situation is not at all comparable, I don't understand why people use MDZ's contract as some sort of measurable point. I actually feel Tyler Myers is the best comparable, very very similar up bringing and performances over their two first years. Myers signed 7year deal avg 5.5M, PK could very well get something similar, and he deserves it.

The Myers deal is crazy... But not surprising considering the Sabres' owner behaviour.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If for no other reason than getting rid of all these ridiculous trade Subban threads he needs to sign asap.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Huh ? The plane to MTL is 1 hour hahaha

practices are usually from 10 to 12, if a deal is signed early in the morning, pk is missing that day of practice. Ex if he was in Mtl and he signs a deal at 9AM, he is at practice for 10. That aint happening if he is still in Toronto.

Wtv its not an issue, I was just curious.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
PK Subban continue de s'entraîner intensément.Sa condition physique ne causera aucun prob lorsqu'il trouvera un terrain d'entente avec le CH

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
practices are usually from 10 to 12, if a deal is signed early in the morning, pk is missing that day of practice. Ex if he was in Mtl and he signs a deal at 9AM, he is at practice for 10. That aint happening if he is still in Toronto.

Wtv its not an issue, I was just curious.

Who cares, if he signs on game day, he'll have missed all of the other practices. Missing a game day skate won't change anything and you pair him up with Gorges, the same partner he had all of last year.

He's still in Toronto because that's his home. What if they don't agree on a deal for another 4 weeks, or 6, or 10?. He'll be in Mtl waiting for nothing. His training coach is in TO, as well as his life. I'm guessing all his gear and equipment are there too.
It only makes sense for him to be there. It will take him no more than a couple of hours to get here. Non issue.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I would do a 7yr/38.5m deal for PK without batting an eye.

Some peoples expectations here are silly.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I would also go big. PK is only 23 years old and brings nearly everything you can ask for on the ice. All that is holding him back from being a true #1D is consistency, discipline and increased offensive production, at not even 25.

He also brings a lot to the table off the ice in terms of marketing, and he definitely knows it.

I would have no problem signing PK to something like 6 yrs. 5.5M per, or even 6 if its backweighted.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
i wonder if Bergevin would of traded PK if it wasnt for hes popularity in MTL,im sure some GM's would overpay for him.Hes young,great on the ice and good for marketing

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
i wonder if Bergevin would of traded PK if it wasnt for hes popularity in MTL,im sure some GM's would overpay for him.Hes young,great on the ice and good for marketing

In order to get PK you would need to give up a lot. You don't trade a 23yo potential superstar for picks. That's Pejorative Slured, even if it meant getting the 1st overall next year. That pick is in no way guaranteed to become better than PK. So, you would have to include more picks and even a prospect in there and a good one.
Not sure who would want to actually give up all that much.

Because what's the down side to this PK deal? Let's say he does ask for 6M over a long term deal. What's the issue? Does anybody here think PK will not be worth 6M in a couple of years at the most?? PK is not going to be a flop. He is already part of some of the best young Dman in the game. With his work ethic, drive, ambition and attitude, there's no reason to think he will simply go Pejorative Slured, stop improving and take steps backward. He will only get better and better, and now that we have a Defensive Coach, it'll only speed up the process. So again, what's really the risk in giving him a bigger contract? Injuries? I can live with that risk.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
probably both,Bergevin wants a 2years deal and Subban wants Doughty money

That's speculation. Never heard anybody suggest that PK wants 55-60M in contracts.
I heard 6M for about 6 years, which would amount to 36M. That's like 60% of what Doughty got. A 6M cap hit is very bearable for PK, and if that's what he really wants, then I'm sure you can play around with the numbers in order to get it down to about 5.25-5.5M.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
In order to get PK you would need to give up a lot. You don't trade a 23yo potential superstar for picks. That's Pejorative Slured, even if it meant getting the 1st overall next year. That pick is in no way guaranteed to become better than PK. So, you would have to include more picks and even a prospect in there and a good one.
Not sure who would want to actually give up all that much.

Because what's the down side to this PK deal? Let's say he does ask for 6M over a long term deal. What's the issue? Does anybody here think PK will not be worth 6M in a couple of years at the most?? PK is not going to be a flop. He is already part of some of the best young Dman in the game. With his work ethic, drive, ambition and attitude, there's no reason to think he will simply go Pejorative Slured, stop improving and take steps backward. He will only get better and better, and now that we have a Defensive Coach, it'll only speed up the process. So again, what's really the risk in giving him a bigger contract? Injuries? I can live with that risk.
wasnt talking about picks, if PHX called and offered OEL + for Subban for example i would jump all over it,dont get me wrong i agree with everything u say but hes not untouchable

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
i love how we nickle and dime on franchise like players yet we don't give much of a 2nd thought if we overpay on 3rd and 4th liners.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
That's speculation. Never heard anybody suggest that PK wants 55-60M in contracts.
I heard 6M for about 6 years, which would amount to 36M. That's like 60% of what Doughty got. A 6M cap hit is very bearable for PK, and if that's what he really wants, then I'm sure you can play around with the numbers in order to get it down to about 5.25-5.5M.
its what they said on L'Anti-Chambre yesterday but could be speculation im not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad