Rumor: Oz back to the KHL

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He would make more money in the K than he would here. Depends on what he wants. I'm sure he's happy that he tried it. Maybe he'll re-sign or sign on with another NHL squad. Who knows.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He would make more money in the K than he would here. Depends on what he wants. I'm sure he's happy that he tried it. Maybe he'll re-sign or sign on with another NHL squad. Who knows.

I don't know the specific money differential but he didn't perform in a way that forces the Leafs to give him a significant raise.

What about if another NHL organization were willing to pay him more? Might he have some modest trade value? He is a RHD.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Was a serviceable 6th D, not ideal, but not a hinderance in any way. More often than not I didn't notice him at all, which is never a bad thing for a 3rd pairing d-man. Would be a good 7th next year (ideally we have 6 better than him), but would understand if he left for more playing time, wherever that may be.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would be great to be able to retain the RHD depth, but it might be a tough sell considering he lost his top six spot and is close to UFA.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I wasn't overly thrilled with Ozhiganov. I'd rather Andreas Borgman takes his place as the #7 D, that would bring some grit to the team internally. He's also the more proficient offensive player. If no changes are made and no one is brought back it would look like this.

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - XXX
ex. Borgman

Call-up #1 - Sandin
Call-up #2 - Liljegren

Ozhiganov may have taken that spot, but I'm sure the Leafs will try to upgrade in FA. I'd prefer they bring someone in than use Ozhiganov there.

Who do you guys like in the FA pool under the premise that the top-7 appears as listed above?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I have the Leafs trading him elsewhere for a conditional pick based on him playing and maybe getting the added bonus of dumping a contract with him.

If he is given an opportunity elsewhere in the NHL, I think he takes it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He’s probably our 2nd or 3rd best RHD but he’s not really game roster quality. More of an injury replacement. We need better so not that disappointed.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He's a guy that shouldn't really see the ice for the Leafs ever moving forward, hope he has success wherever his hockey journey takes him however.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Wouldn't mind resigning him but he definitely doesn't deserve a raise and he'd probably make more coinage in the KHL. With some improvement upon his first year in North America he would likely be a serviceable 6th/7th D and the right shot is a plus, but it wouldn't exactly be a disaster if he left.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Engelland, Chiarot, Benn, Coburn, Girardi and Orpik could be options for a 750K-1.5M 1 year deal for pairing #3 to replace Oz. All gritty options.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Negotiation tactic. It's been done before.

He's a rookie so he could improve too.

Indifferent either way.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not much of a difference between him and Holl tbh. Only one of them can be the 4 RD. I'm fine if he goes.

Always good to keep depth just in case but he'll never really be an impact guy.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Happy trails if that is the case. At best was an extra body and seventh guy. Not going to be overly missed and can have a better career in the KHL anyways. So a win/win there.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
We need to find gold in the KHL
Because it is one place the Leafs can spend their money to buy a player outright
Leafs have tons of cash but they cannot spend it in this salary cap hell
Dubas needs to get the analytics going on the KHL and bring in a serviceable piece without having to develop them, then the Leafs will really be in flight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad