Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdfitz12

Oct 11, 2008
Who are the for sure NAY votes besides Alvarez....

Martinez is on the fence
Chavira --- stadium is in his district
Hugh -- who knows

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Seems like Knaack and Sherwood want the rest of the gang to be accountable for this thing going south. Force it to a vote, so they have a nay on record. No claiming you did the best you could. They don't have the yays to pass this, even if it survives public scrutiny.

So is this the final blow? Glendale doesn't want to budge and Renaissance won't move anymore either. Is there anything that can save us here?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We need 4 votes right? Who do we to anticipate to say yes/no?

Knaack and Sherwood are the only two firm yes votes, which is why they are having to force this to a vote. The league should just pull the plug now if they have a good read on the situation. Even if there's a yes vote, that does not mean the deal will be completed. Far from it. It's too late in the game for this brinksmanship crap. Sherwood, you lost. Thank you for your efforts.

If the deal isn't posted tonight they pull the plug. If they were that close last night (Bettman literally was on a plane to Seattle) I can't imagine them sitting around for this crap.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
As an 8 year Yotes season ticket holder, I for one will never spend another dollar in the city of Glendale if the Yotes end up leaving. What a ****ing joke.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Knaack and Sherwood are the only two firm yes votes, which is why they are having to force this to a vote. The league should just pull the plug now if they have a good read on the situation. Even if there's a yes vote, that does not mean the deal will be completed. Far from it. It's too late in the game for this brinksmanship crap. Sherwood, you lost. Thank you for your efforts.

If the deal isn't posted tonight they pull the plug. If they were that close last night (Bettman literally was on a plane to Seattle) I can't imagine them sitting around for this crap.

Is the bolded opinion or fact? If fact, do you have two independent sources confirming it?

I occasionally get info on the Yotes mess, but I never get it from more than one source, so I don't bother spreading what I can't confirm. So un-twitter-like of me. I'm not even a pretend journalist. To come close to Don Rumsfeld territory, I know what I know but sometimes what I know is just what I've been told, and sometimes what I've been told is what the other person knows, and sometimes it's what the other person thinks he knows, and sometimes it's just what the other person has been told (most often), and sometimes, it's just what the other person thinks but is presented as if it is something he knows. So most often, I don't bother disclosing what I think I know.

The bolded part, is that something you KNOW or just your best guess?
And if you're right, kudos should be bestowed upon you... but if you're wrong, you should sulk in a corner... :)

Again, most often, I don't bother disclosing what I think I know; but here is what I think:

I like World War ZoG as a title...

:coyotes:jets

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is the bolded opinion or fact? If fact, do you have two independent sources confirming it?

I'm not going to claim inside information here. It's connect the dots with what different sources have said. There was the 'if a deal framework isn't in place by Friday, they are done' source. Then we have Morgan saying that they pulled the plug or were about to last night, because 'there was no deal.' The way this works is that the deal has to be posted in a relatively timely fashion to get a vote.

courtesy of CF:

Perhaps but as of now there is no meeting scheduled for July 2, 2013. The council is on recess. There was no motion for a special meeting during last night's council session. To put a meeting on calendar for Tuesday, there must be a request from three members of the council.

Sherwood and Knaack can demand whatever they want but unless they pick up a 3rd, there will not be a vote because there will not be a meeting.

Having said that, I would have to think the probability of having a meeting is around 100%. The question, to me, is will it be the Mayor exercising his unique power to call a Special Meeting with an agenda including only the RFP selection or will it be three council members calling to put the RSE bid on the agenda.

Good times.

They still need to award the RFP so expect a meeting, but don't expect a vote on the Coyotes. At this point, it's political shaming. If you have to force something so contentious onto the agenda, it's over. Barring a last second revelation of millions of dollars, this looks like it is over.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'll also add that the Board of Governors meeting is tomorrow. Gary Bettman will likely go before the owners without any assurance that a deal will be passed, or even a deal reached (posted by Glendale). He will then be forced to seek direction/approval on what to do next. "Stuffs gonna happen" remember? The team technically doesn't have a lease for next year, and the current one expires July 1st.

I applaud anyone holding out hope that the Coyotes can come out the other side of such a situation alive and well, but I'm not seeing it. There is finality here in the coming days. This will not drag on forever. We can be thankful for that, but it may not end like we had all hoped. It's been a bizarre journey to say the least. I'm not going to lock horns with anyone here, so don't bother trying to provoke me with passive aggressive posts. The answers we all want will come soon.

@danbickley: In a worst-case scenario, Coyotes GM Don Maloney said he'd have no issues working under Jeremy Roenick in Seattle

Last edited:

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
I know what I know but sometimes what I know is just what I've been told, and sometimes what I've been told is what the other person knows, and sometimes it's what the other person thinks he knows, and sometimes it's just what the other person has been told (most often), and sometimes, it's just what the other person thinks but is presented as if it is something he knows. So most often, I don't bother disclosing what I think I know.

:handclap:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Seems like Knaack and Sherwood want the rest of the gang to be accountable for this thing going south. Force it to a vote, so they have a nay on record. No claiming you did the best you could. They don't have the yays to pass this, even if it survives public scrutiny.
I can certainly understand why. If you're of the mind that Westgate will ultimately collapse in the absence of this deal, you certainly wouldn't want your name tied to it as if you were complicit. They want the record to show they supported the deal.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
As an 8 year Yotes season ticket holder, I for one will never spend another dollar in the city of Glendale if the Yotes end up leaving. What a ****ing joke.
I imagine I won't either but only because I'd no longer have a reason to. I'll wait for the details to be posted though before I assume the city is the one being foolish. I am in the camp that doesn't see Westgate ultimately surviving without the Coyotes but at the same time if the deal is so heavily skewed towards RSE that it'd just mean death from a different hand then I can't fault the city for telling them to piss off.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I can certainly understand why. If you're of the mind that Westgate will ultimately collapse in the absence of this deal, you certainly wouldn't want your name tied to it as if you were complicit. They want the record to show they supported the deal.

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 6m
It's 5:05 p.m. in #Glendale, and a notice for special City Council meeting on July 2 for the #Coyotes has not been posted. Hmmm...

IIRC the significance here is that 5PM is usually the deadline.

How do you know this is Bettman's/NHL's plane?

This is borderline stalkerish:laugh::laugh:

Canadians hoping to get a team have nothing better to do than track his plane. It's 100% a plane that the NHL uses on a regular basis. Whether or not he, Daly, league officials were on it is up for debate.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

By forcing a vote, they might get the required votes. Some COG members can chirp all they want about the deal not being good for the COG. Voting it down and being responsible for the coyotes leaving is not something some of the members will want to do. The political repercussions might be worse if they vote no. It is human nature, which is why I they might get the votes needed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why would the NHL do it on Thursday or Friday (1-2 business days before the draft) instead of Monday or Tuesday next week? Why overrun the story line of the draft with controversy?

I can see Don Maloney at the draft podium now...

"The Seattle Unknowns would like to congratulate the Chicago Blackhawks on their Stanley Cup win. We'd like to thank the New Jersey Devils for their hospitality. We'd like to thank the zero Seattle fans watching this draft at our draft party taking place absolutely nowhere on earth. With the twelf overall pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft, The Seattle To Be Determineds are honored to select from London of the OHL, Max Domi"

Domi walks up and they slip a Seattle Seahawks jersey and cap on him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why would the NHL do it on Thursday or Friday (1-2 business days before the draft) instead of Monday or Tuesday next week? Why overrun the story line of the draft with controversy?

You raise a valid point, but there's nothing stopping them from moving behind the scenes. Also no reason the Seattle team can't just be the Coyotes for one year and take their time with a re-brand. In the grand scheme of things, a little awkwardness at the draft is a drop in the bucket. The lease is officially up July 1st so they may wait. I don't expect anything definitive before Tuesday but once the go ahead is given, it will be leak city.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

"The Seattle Unknowns would like to congratulate the Chicago Blackhawks on their Stanley Cup win. We'd like to thank the New Jersey Devils for their hospitality. We'd like to thank the zero Seattle fans watching this draft at our draft party taking place absolutely nowhere on earth. With the twelf overall pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft, The Seattle To Be Determineds are honored to select from London of the OHL, Max Domi"

:laugh: :handclap::(

lockstock

Dec 16, 2007
Kauai

Well, shoot. I'm convinced. I was hoping they'd stay in Glendale and Seattle would get an expansion, but this sounds hilarious. To any Seattle lurkers, Seattle To Be Determineds Draft Party at FUEL on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad