Ownership involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
How involved is Daryl Katz in running this team?

Some here are saying that nothing has happened to Lowe and MacT because Katz doesn't care. What if thats not the case? What if Katz cares so much that he is making some of the final calls on what happens and what does NOT happen.

We don't see or hear from him much or often. Katz is front in centre at the draft but isn't scene much day to day. However, we then hear "rumours" that he overruled management and scouts on the Yakupov pick.

Has he given instructions to Lowe and MacTavish? It wouldn't be unreasonable if he wanted veto power over any trades involving say the 3 #1 picks but is he controlling more than just that.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Katz is the guy on the right, Lowe is the guy on the left.

GRIMA_~1.jpg

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I can't say I personally know him, but I have some family and friends who are very close to him.

His management M.O. is "hire an excellent and competent staff, and then hands completely off" as long as they are getting the job done.

...now, that said I recognize how god awful this franchise is and has been, so I'm not really sure what to say. But that IS what he's known to manage his affairs like.

DareDoiler

Jan 29, 2010
I can't say I personally know him, but I have some family and friends who are very close to him.

His management M.O. is "hire an excellent and competent staff, and then hands completely off" as long as they are getting the job done.

...now, that said I recognize how god awful this franchise is and has been, so I'm not really sure what to say. But that IS what he's known to manage his affairs like.

I think that is the ideal situation with most busniesses. The owner is smart "enough" to hire people who know "X" (in this case, hockey) better than he does and once those people are hired, the "boss" doesnt interfere with the ...uhhh....*shudder*....process.

And that's perfect. Exactly what I would want in an owner, if (IF!!!!!) the business was operating within the realm of "good". There will be ups and downs, for sure, and the leniency on those downward trends differs with each boss, but most bosses/businesses expect an overall upward trend.

With the Oilers however, its an absolute, unmitigated, Titanic level - violinists playing their way to a watery grave - disaster. You would have to think that Katz is overall a smart guy so it's mind boggling that he hasnt recognized that Lowe (and MacT) arent the right men for the job. I do believe the "boys on the bus" have provided these fellas more leniency/time/rope than they deserve, but the friend-code has to have it's limits....right?

And I dont believe that Katz doesnt care. It is for sure a business first for the guy, and the Oilers sell very well. But a) the guy by all accounts really does love hockey, b) he has to have SOME pride you would think, and c) no successful businessman thinks the gravy train lasts forever. He has to be able to forecast that revenue goes down as the product quality goes down. I mean you would think if he didnt care at all that he wouldnt be willing to spend to the cap. If your going to be a cap team, and give pretty solid contracts to multiple coaches, you must care a little?

Which makes it even more mind-boggling. DO SOMETHING YOU SACK OF ****! (sorry, i tried to be civil...almost made it).

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
I think that is the ideal situation with most busniesses. The owner is smart "enough" to hire people who know "X" (in this case, hockey) better than he does and once those people are hired, the "boss" doesnt interfere with the ...uhhh....*shudder*....process.

And that's perfect. Exactly what I would want in an owner, if (IF!!!!!) the business was operating within the realm of "good". There will be ups and downs, for sure, and the leniency on those downward trends differs with each boss, but most bosses/businesses expect an overall upward trend.

With the Oilers however, its an absolute, unmitigated, Titanic level - violinists playing their way to a watery grave - disaster. You would have to think that Katz is overall a smart guy so it's mind boggling that he hasnt recognized that Lowe (and MacT) arent the right men for the job. I do believe the "boys on the bus" have provided these fellas more leniency/time/rope than they deserve, but the friend-code has to have it's limits....right?

And I dont believe that Katz doesnt care. It is for sure a business first for the guy, and the Oilers sell very well. But a) the guy by all accounts really does love hockey, b) he has to have SOME pride you would think, and c) no successful businessman thinks the gravy train lasts forever. He has to be able to forecast that revenue goes down as the product quality goes down. I mean you would think if he didnt care at all that he wouldnt be willing to spend to the cap. If your going to be a cap team, and give pretty solid contracts to multiple coaches, you must care a little?

Which makes it even more mind-boggling. DO SOMETHING YOU SACK OF ****! (sorry, i tried to be civil...almost made it).

Couple things:

a) Keep in mind the things Katz has done to the fans since taking ownership (making us foot the bill for the arena that he'll earn money off of, threatening to move the team to Seattle, etc.) We see what he's willing to do to make us plebs bend to his will. Ethically, he's a *******.

b) Sports owners don't really tend to be too focused on making/losing money on their sports teams. They're multi-billionaires. Any losses this team does face (which is a moot point anyway in Edmonton) is absolutely DWARFED by the revenue he gets from Rexall (the drug company), the arena, his real estate, securities, hedge funds, etc. He's filthy rich and his great-great-great-great-great-grandkids will be too.

c) If he had pride in this, he would've held the team in a higher esteem than he does with Kevin Lowe (the true catalyst of this abortion). He clearly does not. He's one of the richest people in the country and that's good enough for most people.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

pretty much this

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
There is an admirable amount of loyalty given to the current administration.

Such a thing is a rare beast, it seems.

Nothing but due respect for sticking with the game plan, having faith in your brethren.

However... there comes a time when you need to swallow your pride, admit that there has been colossal, slow moving, mis-direction of the organization.

That time is now, trim the fat, and realize that your sole existence is to cater to your neglected fan-base.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Katz needs to watch "Old Yeller". This is reaching an epic level of failure. Like Chicago cubs or Cleveland browns level, if not worse. This abomination they have built could only be successful 50 years from now when hitting and slap shots are outlawed from the game. What makes it even more sad is that we are a cap team.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Katz needs to watch "Old Yeller". This is reaching an epic level of failure. Like Chicago cubs or Cleveland browns level, if not worse. This abomination they have built could only be successful 50 years from now when hitting and slap shots are outlawed from the game. What makes it even more sad is that we are a cap team.

Hey I'm a Browns and Oilers fan! No need for that.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Didn't other teams go through uncaring oousy owners for a long time too? Ballard in Toronto and Wirtz in Chicago come in mind. The teams were still drawing sellouts and making gobs of money despite losing like forever.

Things go in cycles wether long or short, eventually things wil change, maybe someone up there has to die for example lol.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Katz is too busy trying to purchase McDavid's team, instead of focusing on his current NHL team. What a moron.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Didn't other teams go through uncaring oousy owners for a long time too? Ballard in Toronto and Wirtz in Chicago come in mind. The teams were still drawing sellouts and making gobs of money despite losing like forever.

Things go in cycles wether long or short, eventually things wil change, maybe someone up there has to die for example lol.

Chances are, with technology, we will have this along with Katz and Lowe:

B3_XCfrCMAA5lJp.jpg:large

And they will be able to run the team into the ground indefinitely.

And we will all kick the bucket (aside from the super rich fans that can afford head jars) before the Oilers are ever successful again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My assumption is that he has Nichols there now and is waiting to see what he has to say. The problem is you can't just fire everyone and have no one left to run the show. Quietly use Nichols connections and see who you can hire. The only issue here is I don't know that we can get the best GM possible at this time of year.

Really is it that bad if the Oilers continue like this for say the next 2 months and then house is cleaned? Even if you hire the best management and coaching group possible, it will be impossible to take the team out of the basement.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
It sounds like my fears had some basis. Im wondering if more info will come out as people leave the organization and talk.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I guess it comes down to how much you hope he's involved for what purpose. If it's to try to portray him as a Daniel Snider type, the go with a lot, if you want to portray him as some rich guy with something he can show off, go with very little.

Eitherway, it doesn't matter.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Unless you are a shareholder in any of the businesses, it doesn't really matter much. No matter how curious you may be, I'm not sure what you gain by knowing how much or how little he micromanages his enterprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad