Speculation: Ownership demands trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014
I am wondering if ownership demands Eichel traded and the best offer are spare parts...I am wondering what would Kevin Adam’s do...I would hope he would have enough self respect to resign.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If I were Adams, I wouldn't make the Botterill mistake. I'd just get fired.

If your owners are that stupid, you're getting fired sooner rather than later anyways. So don't torpedo the team on your watch too.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
There are 32 general manager positions in the NHL and only a small handful of openings each year. Kevyn Adams hasn't exactly established himself as a name teams would be lining up for to fill their vacated GM positions (though I am confident he could be some day).

If his boss demands he trade Jack Eichel, he's going to trade Jack Eichel -- and I won't respect him any less because of it.

The Pegulas, on the other hand...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Maybe Adams would gain respect around the league if he refused to make a horrendous deal

Reactions: Gabrielor

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If I were Adams, I wouldn't make the Botterill mistake. I'd just get fired.

If your owners are that stupid, you're getting fired sooner rather than later anyways. So don't torpedo the team on your watch too.

The debate for a Pegula GM is the salary (usually inflated and still collectible for a few years) versus your own reputation damage. Botterill's reputation was severely damaged by O'Reilly trade. He looked like a fool but did the owner put him in that spot.

Adams already faced a trade deadline where he was obviously handcuffed on eating more salary or he would have got more for Montour. Sabres only used two of three of opportunities.

On Hall, it's a mystery. For all we know he said let's rattle Boston's chain and say a second is not good enough and we will just let him sit if he doesn't give us more teams. Hall had everything to lose too staying in Buffalo and trying to resurrect his career before free agency -- he has somewhat. Terrible negotiation on Sabres part but impossible to know who in organization blinked.

It's easy to see why Kevyn agreed to be a GM/yes man. He jumped several pegs in NHL management world. Even if he gets fired, he'll get an AGM job somewhere now.

Botterill, he's back to where he was with his pockets loaded with cash. He now needs to work himself back to a GM position and that's because of Buffalo situation he landed in.

All things equal, and they rarely in, I would choose almost any NHL team other than Buffalo if I was offered a GM job on the same day. The money would have to be WAY WAY MORE to work with the Pegulas who will ruin my reputation.

But as another person said, there are 32 GM jobs. Someone will alway grab the Buffalo if it's all that's out there.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Maybe Adams would gain respect around the league if he refused to make a horrendous deal

Sometimes it's just about doing the right thing too.

(29:55)

Kay Stephenson did that for the Bills in 1984, and they ended up being critical pieces for the 1990s run, like Bruce Smith.

It isn't sexy. Guys here will say "take the money!". f*** that. Do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad