Owners of Leafs practice facility run out of money

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
In a hockey-mad city where battles over ice time make national headlines, a new four-pad arena with blue-chip tenants that include the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Marlies and the Hockey Hall of Fame has managed to run out of money, leaving Toronto taxpayers on the hook.

$3.7-million in annual revenues isn’t enough to keep the lights on... The rink, built and operated by the local Lions Club, is on the brink of insolvency, and the City of Toronto, which backstopped more than $35.5-million in loans for the west-end complex, is planning a bailout.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...eshore-arena-runs-out-of-cash/article2058581/

Would be nice for the Leafs to cover the costs, but I guess that would be too difficult for one of the most wealthy hockey franchises on the planet.:shakehead

Last edited:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Why should the Leafs do that? I need some money too, but I don't expect the Leafs to pay my bills. They are a only a tenant of the building.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Is this a joke? It's not the Leafs fault that the owners planned and ran the facility poorly. I'm sure rental payments were all made on time.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Expected, when I went to a private fundraiser (with wendel Clark among others in attendance) the Lions guy was telling me they didn't even have enough to cover the costs of building the place

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Inc., owners of the Leafs and Marlies, has a 20-year lease at the rink and invested $5.5-million in training facilities at the arena, which includes three NHL-sized rinks and one of only two Olympic-sized ice surfaces in the city.

They have a long term commitment and have invested a decent chunk of money in upgrading the building for their needs.

It's not their fault that the managers of the building can't run their own finances.

The city will cover the debt payments this summer, get a new management team in there and the rink will be back on it's feet by this time next year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Expected, when I went to a private fundraiser (with wendel Clark among others in attendance) the Lions guy was telling me they didn't even have enough to cover the costs of building the place

The article stated that it was built entirely from borrowed money. That's never a good option unless you have significant other capital to cover for payments should interest rates rise (which is what doomed this building)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Why should the Leafs do that? I need some money too, but I don't expect the Leafs to pay my bills. They are a only a tenant of the building.

They were also one of the main forces to get the arena built, along with one of the main benefactors. The fact that Toronto, a city that is saddled with a large debt load and struggles to run surpluses, needs to subsidize their practice arena is pathetic.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The Leafs have no reason to foot the bill.

Why doesn't anyone mention that the Leafs undertake quite a few arena revitalization projects with their own money to improve the arenas in the city? They do more than their fair share in helping out.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
With all due respect, you'd think the Leafs would build their own practice facility. Why anyone much less a not for profit organization would build one for them. Is mind boggling.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
With all due respect, you'd think the Leafs would build their own practice facility. Why anyone much less a not for profit organization would build one for them. Is mind boggling.

I know this is hard for people to understand, but the Maple Leafs are a business. There are zero good reasons for them to spend more money than they need to on a practice rink.

They get the same facilities at this place as they would at their own one and it's millions of dollars cheaper for them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's a not for profit rink for the community the Leafs rent out to make economically feasible. I'm pretty sure they didn't built it for the Leafs...

mooseOAK*

Maybe they had the plan to build the facility all along and asked MLSE to join.

Somethings wrong when it was the first ice arena built in Toronto since the '80's and they can't make a go of it. Mismanagement, most likely.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Maybe they had the plan to build the facility all along and asked MLSE to join.

Somethings wrong when it was the first ice arena built in Toronto since the '80's and they can't make a go of it. Mismanagement, most likely.

It was built on 100% borrowed money with about half of that at a floating rate. Even with higher than expected revenue, they couldn't keep up with rising interest rates.

Classic over commitment. Seeing a market with high demand and figuring that it means you can over-extend yourself to reach it.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
What a horrible hockey market. the Leafs should move to Birmingham.

what makes this funny is the old leafs practice facility was on... birmingham street... they moved one block north :P

now in regards to the initial funding... it was originally going to be lakeshore lions arena, they were desperately trying to build it based on their own money and money from the community. Afterwards.. the Leafs decided to take over the money problems and the name of the building was going to be Leafs Nation Hockey Headquarters. I think somewhere in the whole struggle to purchase/swap the land with the TDSB ended up dooming the Leafs desire to fund it... because the Lions eventually got back control, did their gold/silver puck fundraiser (with Griffin? it's been awhile) and eventually sold the naming rights to MasterCard.

the whole ordeal is quite funny, because the old lakeshore lions arena was supposed to be LCIs hockey rink, then it was supposed to become a community center. Now it's part of Humber Lakeshore Campus. oops. Anyways as the article notes they were pushing for a restaurant... the Lions guy was so amped because he was sure Boston Pizza was going to be it... would have worked so well for them because of the high school next door and the fact that there is no boston pizza restaurants even remotely close by. It's just been one disaster of a project behind the scenes.

vezna*

because the leafs is already giving welfare money to the american teams

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
It's a not for profit rink for the community the Leafs rent out to make economically feasible. I'm pretty sure they didn't built it for the Leafs...

It's the Lions, who are an old school community service frat. Peeps in charge are essentially volunteers. Results vary, and much demands on the commitment and skill of a greying membership.

Something similar is happening in Casa Loma, which is run by the Kiwanis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad