Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
oh no doubt. ill readily admit that its a crapshoot with prospects so all we have are the leading indicators such as their performances pre and post draft. im not overly hyped on tippetts projections, but i could easily end up wrong and he could even be a 40 goal scorer if the stars align for him. i just think its a longshot and my concern is for the cup window which was all i was trying to explain here. i just dont see how he'll be a part of it. he might catch the tail end of it in the 4th year, but i think we'd have better value adding star scorers now so they can contribute to the entirety of the window.

Malgin is on pace for around 15 goals in his 1st/2nd full year, probably 20 if he was in top 6 all year and injury free so why is it so hard to see the skill and speed in Tippett to not be good for 20-25 within 2 years and possibly 30 in his 3rd year?

If you're holding out for that 40 goals then I'd agree and say you're right the odds are against him but that goes for like ~90% of the league.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Funny how much a negative attitude of a one person can cause in the thread. It's just one belief, it's not based on facts or anything, the future will tell how it is. I have an opposite belief to that. To me nothing points out that he will not be a player up here at this point.

Cause when Tippet only can score more then 15 Goals the next Season the Chances fro Greco getting smaller and smaller.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
tippett definitely has the tools to become a 25+ goal scorer, perhaps a 30+ goal scorer someday. there are still areas i want him to improve in, and im also in the camp of rather having an immediate asset for next season and beyond rather than waiting for him to develop several more years. im in the same line of thinking as far as the optimal window are these next 4 years, borgstrom id keep for sure, but tippett has some value and is a nice trade chip, not to mention you also have mascherin and hepo if we're that concerned with our prospect depth. we have room to trade at least 1 of them. to get a player like pacioretty or hoffman, etc, im all for it.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Oh for sure. No one expected Yakupov to bust and no models would predict someone so good in the CHL to bust like that.

On Virtanen: Jake Virtanen Is Good. So Don’t Draft Him
It's a lenghty article, but the gist of it is that you should draft the forward that score the most points per game (with a certain minimum of game) and not worry so much about tools like shoot. So they say to take Ehlers, because comparable players are elite and the low end of Ehlers is Derrick Brassard. Whereas Virtanen's ceilling is Landeskog but he's very close to Kyle Beach and many other busts.

That's why I would have preffered Suzuki over Tippett. Because the probability of Suzuki of busting and not be, at the very least, a productive middle 6 forwards are lower than Tippett's. Suzuki has less risk and higher upside, so it was a weird pick imo. But I really do hope Tippett succeed, no reason not to root for the guy once he's in the boat.
Suzuki certainly has less risk but higher upside is just wrong.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
tippett definitely has the tools to become a 25+ goal scorer, perhaps a 30+ goal scorer someday. there are still areas i want him to improve in, and im also in the camp of rather having an immediate asset for next season and beyond rather than waiting for him to develop several more years. im in the same line of thinking as far as the optimal window are these next 4 years, borgstrom id keep for sure, but tippett has some value and is a nice trade chip, not to mention you also have mascherin and hepo if we're that concerned with our prospect depth. we have room to trade at least 1 of them. to get a player like pacioretty or hoffman, etc, im all for it.
Your opinions change quick. You were a big Tippett fan before we drafted him and clearly stated how much you wanted him.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Once a player is drafted I think the best way to predict their future success is to analyze their name and phenotype.

Oh-wen Tip-it, a nice duosyllabic pairing, stress on the second syllables is a nice touch. Not to mention "Tippet" reminds one of a hockey player tipping in a goal. The name fires on all cylinders, it's easily his best characteristics.

Here's where he loses me though...

getty_owentippett_2018-01-25.jpg

I must say he doesn't look the part. We've seen gingers succeed before but it's definitely an obstacle to overcome.
This is not to say he is unattractive, he simply just does not have the hockey look, I would know.

All in all, I think Tip's ceiling is a 20 goal winger, floor is out of the league in 5 years.

I have a lot of experience with this type of analysis and it's been pretty accurate. I think we'd be smart to trade him while he still has value.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Your opinions change quick. You were a big Tippett fan before we drafted him and clearly stated how much you wanted him.
its changed because i said he has the potential to be a 25+ to a possible 30+ goal scorer? or simply because i said there are still some areas i want him to improve on? just because id rather trade him for an established winger does not mean i changed my tune on him. just because id rather use someone as a trade chip because they have value doesnt mean i dont like them, i realize he has value, and we have borgstrom not to mention mascherin and hepo, im willing to trade him for someone who can contribute at the level i hope he eventually contributes at, yes. i dont see what the big deal about that is? im not a hoarder when it comes to every single nice prospect we have. i wouldve been completely fine with trading the pick at the draft to accomplish the same exact thing, im sure i even mentioned that back then, but since we kept the pick yea, he along with necas and suzuki were all in my desired picks at #10, vilardi as well once he dropped there.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Once a player is drafted I think the best way to predict their future success is to analyze their name and phenotype.

Oh-wen Tip-it, a nice duosyllabic pairing, stress on the second syllables is a nice touch. Not to mention "Tippet" reminds one of a hockey player tipping in a goal. The name fires on all cylinders, it's easily his best characteristics.

Here's where he loses me though...

View attachment 102863

I must say he doesn't look the part. We've seen gingers succeed before but it's definitely an obstacle to overcome.
This is not to say he is unattractive, he simply just does not have the hockey look, I would know.

All in all, I think Tip's ceiling is a 20 goal winger, floor is out of the league in 5 years.

I have a lot of experience with this type of analysis and it's been pretty accurate. I think we'd be smart to trade him while he still has value.

I agree with this analysis.

Gretzky.
Lemieux.
Jagr.
Bure.

All these names scream greatness. You know from the moment they don the uniform that simply from the sound of their names that fear is struck in the hearts of opponents everwhere. There's just something so - I don't know - "je ne sais quoi," about them.

At the same time you can just tell when a guy is going to bust by listening to his name.

Daigle.
Stefan.
Crouse.

Whoever was in charge of selecting these kids should be fired. It was clear as day that long and illustrious NHL careers just wasn't in the cards for them. Their names might as well translate from their native tongue to "soft," "weak," and "derpy."

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
No it's not. It's just that some people wrongly think that Tippett is comparable to Kessell or something when he is not.
Tippett has better hands than Kessel for sure. Kessel is a better playmaker and has better IQ. Suzuki is very vanilla to me. He’s not exceptional at anything. He screams Reinhart to me.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
2 goals last night
Goal and assist today
Has 1 game left tomorrow to match last year's 75pt total in 9 fewer games.

Would have paced a 49 goal season if he had played 68 games. Safe to say he is Mississaugas 1st or 2nd most important player along with Hague.

If he makes the team next year, the PP should get a big boost with him and Borgstrom having wicked wristers.

Screenshot_20180317-182415.png

Reactions: Ghoste

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
2 goals last night
Goal and assist today
Has 1 game left tomorrow to match last year's 75pt total in 9 fewer games.

Would have paced a 49 goal season if he had played 68 games. Safe to say he is Mississaugas 1st or 2nd most important player along with Hague.

If he makes the team next year, the PP should get a big boost with him and Borgstrom having wicked wristers.

View attachment 105363

But what’s their character like?

Reactions: 5 Hole

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

his highlights from this season. theres been like nothing on youtube of him from this year pretty much all season long so im glad they finally put one of these up. had a good season, adjusting for games played he'd be top-5 in ohl goal scoring, possibly 4th or pretty much tied for 4th. he was voted as having the best shot in the east with mascherin the best shot in the west. curious if he makes it next year with borg most likely making our roster. theres going to be a lot of players trying to get into our top-9 next season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's either NHL or OHL since he doesn't turn 20 till February. Would like to see him get into some AHL games this season, to give him a head start on next season, but we'll see.
It's the NHL as this is a Tallon pick and he wants Yutes in the line-up. Hope he does well but I think it will be a struggle for him on Barkov or Tro's line. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->