Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Was my top pick of the realistic guys who'd be at ten, didn't think we'd have a shot at Vilardi but oh well...Tippett is the best goal scorer of the draft, can't be upset with that. Feel bad for wings fans though!!!

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bob McKenzie said on the broadcast that Panthers management showed a lot of interest in Tippett leading to the draft, which makes me think that they didn't care that Vilardi fell.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Corey Pronman of ESPN had him ranked 6th overall, his scouting report sounds exactly what we need.

The cousin of the No. 33 overall pick in 2015, Mitchell Stephens (Tampa Bay Lightning), Tippett is a very exciting winger to watch. He was a dominant goal scorer this season, due to both the quality and quantity of shots on goal. Tippett is one of the best speedsters in the draft class. His ability to go from 0 to 60 -- metaphorically speaking, though he's darn quick -- is very impressive, and he can gain the offensive blue line with ease. He has a high skill level and can make some open-ice plays, but he's much more comfortable going north-south than east-west. He can kill penalties due to his speed and IQ, and can be a shorthanded scoring threat while doing so. Tippett's game is more about playing in straight lines, but don't let his very tilted goal-to-assist ratio fool you, as he can make plays to his teammates too, a facet of his game that improved as the season went on.

Ranking explanation: In Tippett and Eeli Tolvanen, we have two of the best shot generators and goal scorers in the class. Despite similar types of output, they get it done in different ways. Tippett is an elite skater, and miles better than Tolvanen. However, Tolvanen is a much smarter player. While both are great goal scorers, I do like Tolvanen's shot a little more. Given how close they are, I am persuaded by Tippett getting his production done in the OHL as opposed to the slightly inferior USHL. Then again, it's not easy to forget that Tippett was riding the pine in the IIHF under-18 championship a year ago while Tolvanen was dominating, although Tippett was about as good at the under-17 championship a few months earlier. The skating gap is notable, and I'm not convinced Tolvanen's other advantages close it. Combined with the statistical argument, Tippett gets the edge.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Considering he has the physical tools already and our lack of RW depth (as of now) I wouldn't be shocked if he sticks around this year.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
An explosive skater with a dynamic shot that will put the puck in the net and butts in the seats. Exactly what this franchise needed. Slots in perfectly on the 1st line at RW in a few years. Barkov and Huberdeau are gonna feed this kid a silly amount of goals.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
sounds like just what we need, hope he works out. I'd rather take a shot at an elite sniper at 10th than go for the safe route.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Seems like a solid pick to me at the intersection of BPA and addressing roster needs.

Surprised we haven't been involved in any trades yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad