Owen Tippett (10th OA) Faller or Riser in a Re-draft?

Where would Owen Tippett go in a 2017 Re-Draft today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Owen Tippett was selected 10th overall in the 2017 NHL draft. Has his stock risen or fallen since then, in your eyes?

Current stats (Draft+3 year):
15GP 6G 5A 11P (0.73 P/GP) in the AHL

Last year (Draft+2 year):
54GP 33G 41A 74P (1.37 P/GP) in the OHL

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Tippett goes no earlier than the #26-31 range in a re-draft, IMO.

I want to start off by saying that I like Tippett, and think he could be a useful NHL player one day if things turn out just right for him.

That said, several things make me think he would fall significantly in a 2017 re-draft.

First, Tippett's AHL numbers (0.73 PPG) this season are less impressive than some other 2017 1st rounders like #21OA Chytil (1.00 PPG) and #17OA Liljegren (0.62 PPG as a defenceman).

Tippett's stats are more in line with lower tier 1st rounders like #19OA Norris (0.67 PPG), who I would also consider a faller.

Second, his OHL production in his draft+2 year actually decreased from his draft+1 season, which is usually a considerable red flag.

Third is the eye test. I saw him last year at the WJC and again this season on AHL.tv. He looks like his shot is coming along well but other aspects of his game (board play, vision, positioning in the D zone) are still lacking.

With a lot of hard work he can carve out a significant role for himself in the future, he has the size and the hand-eye coordination, but as of right now I would say he has fallen considerably.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
My current redraft
1. Pettersson
2. Heiskanen
3. Hischier
4. Makar
5. Patrick
6. Necas
7. Glass
8. Mittelstadt
9. Thomas
10. Brannstrom
11. Suzuki
12. Valimaki
13. Chytil
14. Comtois
15. Rasmussen
---------
He's likely in the 20s....

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
My current redraft
1. Pettersson
2. Heiskanen
3. Hischier
4. Makar
5. Patrick
6. Necas
7. Glass
8. Mittelstadt
9. Thomas
10. Brannstrom
11. Suzuki
12. Valimaki
13. Chytil
14. Comtois
15. Rasmussen
---------

Valimaki tore his ACL back in August, and is basically done for the year. If there’s anyone in the top 20 that has fallen farther than Tippett, it’s him (and Vilardi).

Reactions: Wings4Life

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He might not even have been a first round pick if we could draft in hindsight. Lots of second rounders that year look great (UPL, Boqvist, Texier, Comtois etc). Some future rounders made good jumps too (DiPietro).

Starting to realize that draft had great depth

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
My current redraft
1. Pettersson
2. Heiskanen
3. Hischier
4. Makar
5. Patrick
6. Necas
7. Glass
8. Mittelstadt
9. Thomas
10. Brannstrom
11. Suzuki
12. Valimaki
13. Chytil
14. Comtois
15. Rasmussen
---------
Frost goes near 10th, certainly before Suzuki

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Nothing certain about that
Frost has been better than Suzuki at every level IMO. Much better in the OHL and is tearing the AHL up and the only reason he's not in the NHL is because there's a log jam up the middle in Philly.

I'm very confident Frost is better and will be better in the future. We'll see though, they're both very young.

OHL stats since draft:

Frost +1 = 67GP 42G 70A 112P
+2 = 58GP 37G 72A 109P
Total: 125GP 79G 142A 221P (1.77 PPG)

Suzuki +1= 64GP 42G 58A 100P
+2= 59GP 34G 60A 94P
Total: 123 GP 76G 118A 194P (1.57 PPG)

These numbers also don't factor in the team each player played for. I'd be surprised if any of the players from the Greyhounds stick in the NHL or even make it outside of a very young at the time Barrett Hayton.. while the Storm was stacked and the teams he's played on before that were also better insulated.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He has played 7 NHL games all from the 2017-18 season totaling 1 goal 1 point. He doesn't come close to top 10 at this point.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Frost has been better than Suzuki at every level IMO. Much better in the OHL and is tearing the AHL up and the only reason he's not in the NHL is because there's a log jam up the middle in Philly.

I'm very confident Frost is better and will be better in the future. We'll see though, they're both very young.

OHL stats since draft:

Frost +1 = 67GP 42G 70A 112P
+2 = 58GP 37G 72A 109P
Total: 125GP 79G 142A 221P (1.77 PPG)

Suzuki +1= 64GP 42G 58A 100P
+2= 59GP 34G 60A 94P
Total: 123 GP 76G 118A 194P (1.57 PPG)

These numbers also don't factor in the team each player played for. I'd be surprised if any of the players from the Greyhounds stick in the NHL or even make it outside of a very young at the time Barrett Hayton.. while the Storm was stacked and the teams he's played on before that were also better insulated.
Frost is definitely doing very well in the AHL but I don’t think 12 pts in 13 games constitutes “tearing the AHL up”.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Then maybe you're not watching the games? He's been dominant regardless of the points.

At least "Sick Suzuki " liked your comment ;)
So you’re sure that the majority of partial people watching his AHL games would use that phrase add to describe his season. “Tearing up the AHL”. You’re sure? Is he an early lock for the league MVP?

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
So you’re sure that the majority of partial people watching his AHL games would use that phrase add to describe his season. “Tearing up the AHL”. You’re sure? Is he an early lock for the league MVP?
I mean, he's 20 in his first pro year experience and he's leading his team in points and only Elvenes has a higher PPG of players his age. I've seen more than one "Drake Batherson" is dominating the AHL posts on here with no one attacking it. Hes putting up the same numbers while a year older.

In any case I think it's weird to take issue with the comment "frost is tearing up the AHL" because it's semantics honestly.

And no, he has no chance of winning the AHL MVP because he will be in the NHL shortly

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I mean, he's 20 in his first pro year experience and he's leading his team in points and only Elvenes has a higher PPG of players his age. I've seen more than one "Drake Batherson" is dominating the AHL posts on here with no one attacking it. Hes putting up the same numbers while a year older.

In any case I think it's weird to take issue with the comment "frost is tearing up the AHL" because it's semantics honestly.

And no, he has no chance of winning the AHL MVP because he will be in the NHL shortly
No one attacked anything. I said he’s doing very well. And that’s taking his age and pro experience into consideration. It’s no big deal but I think “he’s doing very well” is more accurate and more the consensus thought than “tearing the AHL up”. No big deal.

If I had seen a Batherson thread in a similar situation I’d make the same comment. More people here need to separate themselves from emotional thought when it comes to their team or players and try to rely more on neutral logical thought.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
1. Heiskanen
2. Pettersson
3. Makar
4. Hischier
5. Patrick
6. Necas
7. Jokiharju
8. Middlestadt
9. Brännström
10. Välimäki

Most likely 2nd rounder.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
No one attacked anything. I said he’s doing very well. And that’s taking his age and pro experience into consideration. It’s no big deal but I think “he’s doing very well” is more accurate and more the consensus thought than “tearing the AHL up”. No big deal.

If I had seen a Batherson thread in a similar situation I’d make the same comment. More people here need to separate themselves from emotional thought when it comes to their team or players and try to rely more on neutral logical thought.
Again, Semantics. I would certainly say he's "tearing the AHL up" either way let's agree to disagree. Not sure why he initially targeted Suzuki because there's other players on that list that stick out even more to me but that's a different topic.

On topic... I'd slot him high 1st, 28-30 maybe without really writing a list out.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Tippett drops but there is no way this guy drops out of the first round lol. Guy has an elite shot and has played well in the AHL for a 20 year old.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
There's a very good chance imo. You can definitely at least make a case for 31 players over him.
I just don’t see it. He will probably be in the NHL this year but if not definitely next year without Hoffman. I used to be a little nervous with him but he’s tracking along well. No doubt he’d drop because this draft was pretty good but he won’t stop to the second IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad