Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Isn’t that what fans do, cheer their team on and have irrational hope. Fan is sort for fanatic, which means ‘a person filled with excessive and single minded zeal’. What’s wrong with that?
absolutely nothing

Thanks for the positive vibes......

Any guesses what I not going to miss on this board next year.....
Truth? What will be different about OS next year. Hopefully another new coach and possibly a new GM? And a tough year missing those 3 OA's. Good luck tonight and the rest of the series. I do love an upset

Last edited:

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
alot of inspirational optimists, I hope for your and the boys sake that they can do it
That's the whole idea optimism. Leaf fans are the most optimistic fans in the world and someday it may pay off. I fully realize my Attack face an extremely steep climb to crawl over the Spirit and that's the whole excitement about it. Upsets can and do happen as Stellar29 said on another post "That's why they play the games" I choose to cheer on my team until there eliminated thats just who I am.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
absolutely nothing

Truth? What will be different about OS next year. Hopefully another new coach and possibly a new GM? And a tough year missing those 3 OA's. Good luck tonight and the rest of the series. I do love an upset
Next year is a reset year, they sell, finish low and restart. Watch a bunch of kids grow together and develop. Watch Barlow play at the WJC, maybe Carter as well. Watch Nansi and Crawford take the next step. Watch a few 08s come in and do what those guys did this year.

That’s fun, what’s wrong with that?

That's the whole idea optimism. Leaf fans are the most optimistic fans in the world and someday it may pay off. I fully realize my Attack face an extremely steep climb to crawl over the Spirit and that's the whole excitement about it. Upsets can and do happen as Stellar29 said on another post "That's why they play the games" I choose to cheer on my team until there eliminated thats just who I am.
I dont get why he rips anyone with optimism, who cares if we have hope, that’s what we do

Reactions: KFawcett

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This is a true fan. Only one team wins the championship. Not an easy thing to accomplish. We all hope it's the team we cheer for every year. Regardless you come back and support your local squad again and again. This is how it's suppose to be in hockey. Never say die!

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
This is a true fan. Only one team wins the championship. Not an easy thing to accomplish. We all hope it's the team we cheer for every year. Regardless you come back and support your local squad again and again. This is how it's suppose to be in hockey. Never say die!
Exactly, thank you. I didn’t see anything wrong with that either.

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Happy Playoff Gameday! 2nd Seeded & Memorial Cup Hosts Saginaw Spirit take on the 7th Seeded Owen Sound attack. Saginaw is heavily favored in this matchup. Saginaw is 2-0-0 For the season series while Owen Sound is 1-0-1 - With both games of the season series being played in the 2nd Half of the season. First game was played at the Dow Event Center on February 9th. Saginaw took this one 5-4 in Overtime. Carter George was excellent in goal making 47 Saves to secure the point for the road team. As well as Guindon who had 2 goals for the Bears. While Owen Beck had 2 goals including the game tying goal as well as an assist on the OT winner. Meanwhile the OT winner was scored by Parekh (PP) who also had one earlier in the game and a helper on Becks tying goal.

If Owen Sound is wanting to pull of the upset- They are going to need to get into a streak of well played games similar to what they were able to put together for a stretch of time in November, when they won 5 in a row and outscored opponents 27-5 in that stretch. Largely going to require consistent excellent play from George. Barlow, Guindon, Goure, Sedley going to be looked at as the leaders. Points of concern for Owen Sound- As of Late George' play has been average has a heavy workload in the back half of the season may have put him on fumes during the last little stretch for Owen Sound.

For the Saginaw Spirit- They have to continue to rely on their big dogs. Lead by draft eligible defenseman Zayne Parekh with 96 Points. Owen Beck who is looking to repeat as an OHL Champion. As well as 1st overall selection in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection Michael Misa who is coming off a 75 Point season. In goal a bit of a 2 Headed Monster- Andrew Oke played 41 games this season with a record of 29-10-1-0 .889 Sv% 2089 GAA- In counter CBJ Draft Pick and former Erie Otter Nolan Lalonde has played 36 Games with a record of 21-8-1-1 - Both goalies numbers are not eye popping both behind the ideal target of .900 Save%. However both have been solid all season for Saginaw and when the puck drops at 7:05 @ the Dow for Game 1- I would expect much of the same to continue.

My prediction for this series is Saginaw takes it in 5 games. (Owen Sound Wins one on the road)

Good luck to both teams and both fan bases!

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I thought the Attack looked good through the opening 40 mins. Not scoring on the 5-3 PP advantage was a killer and Saginaw scored shortly after providing the back breaker. Saginaw locked it down in the third and Owen Sound didn't really have an answer.

I liked George's game. Don't think that's his best but certainly better than the version that ended the regular season in my opinion. Positive sign from him.

Also liked the line up decisions to go with Nansi over Tersigni as well as G. Smith over Ethier with Rogers out. Nansi brings a little more skill and adds size. The G Smith move was particularly smart in my opinion as his size, reach and simple game is more of a fit for playoff hockey. I didn't expect him to play much but I thought he looked solid out there.

The second line generated some looks tonight which was great to see. Loved the response goal from Guindon after falling behind in the opening minute. The team played hard and physical. Overall, a pretty entertaining hockey game. We'll see how they respond on Saturday but I thought it was a good showing in Game 1.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
That game was certainly a lot closer then the final score showed tonight.

The Spirit did a good job shutting down our powerplays (0/3) tonight. I don't think this is any type of failure by the boys in any sense. The Spirit limited our shots including only allowing 4 in the final frame.

Boys just have to build off the little things that worked tonight and get some momentum they played a very disciplined game which was good to see. Would've been nice to click on those chances though. Bring on game 2.

Last edited:

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I thought the Attack looked good through the opening 40 mins. Not scoring on the 5-3 PP advantage was a killer and Saginaw scored shortly after providing the back breaker. Saginaw locked it down in the third and Owen Sound didn't really have an answer.

I liked George's game. Don't think that's his best but certainly better than the version that ended the regular season in my opinion. Positive sign from him.

Also liked the line up decisions to go with Nansi over Tersigni as well as G. Smith over Ethier with Rogers out. Nansi brings a little more skill and adds size. The G Smith move was particularly smart in my opinion as his size, reach and simple game is more of a fit for playoff hockey. I didn't expect him to play much but I thought he looked solid out there.

The second line generated some looks tonight which was great to see. Loved the response goal from Guindon after falling behind in the opening minute. The team played hard and physical. Overall, a pretty entertaining hockey game. We'll see how they respond on Saturday but I thought it was a good showing in Game 1.
I'm proud of the guys for there showing in gm 1. There's a couple things to tighten up and an adjustment or 2 to be made but that's typical for playoff hockey. Keep fighting hard and see what happens.

Reactions: Spills

Spills

Oct 16, 2021

I liked the new Guidon line, looked tough to play against last night.

Reactions: KFawcett

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I wouldn't be a true fan if I wasn't very disappointed to date .

I hope the boys have enough fortitude to give us two solid performances on home ice .

Reactions: Noofgoof

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Lack of an aggressive defense that's able to get pucks out and make breakout passes has been the story of this team. We can score but we can't get out of our end, allow too many shots and end up tired when we do get the zone exit. I hope there is more a focus on defense with the next iteration of the team. We will be there Monday night to cheer the boys on. Our U9 girls will be playing the mini game.

Reactions: Spills and Millpond

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Attack fans have been pretty loyal and patient this year. In some places this team would have been booed off the ice. Hope the boys realize this and give the fans an honest effort in game 3.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Two games down in the best of 7 thus far, and the Spirit have very much picked apart the weaknesses in our game. (0/3) on special teams in game 1 and (0/4) in game 2.

Can't blame the boys on either of those losses, the Spirit have read the book on our team and capitalized on this teams weaknesses in our game. That is plain and simple a team that has done their homework and it shows in the the final results of games 1 & 2 with 6-4 and 5-2 games. The playoffs are all about adjustments and Saginaw made theirs very fast between games 1 and 2. Hopefully coming home for games 3 and 4 we can make ours and swing the momentum back in our favor with home crowd energy.

Spills

Oct 16, 2021
Two games down in the best of 7 thus far, and the Spirit have very much picked apart the weaknesses in our game. (0/3) on special teams in game 1 and (0/4) in game 2.

Can't blame the boys on either of those losses, the Spirit have read the book on our team and capitalized on this teams weaknesses in our game. That is plain and simple a team that has done their homework and it shows in the the final results of games 1 & 2 with 6-4 and 5-2 games. The playoffs are all about adjustments and Saginaw made theirs very fast between games 1 and 2. Hopefully coming home for games 3 and 4 we can make ours and swing the momentum back in our favor with home crowd energy.
OS hasn’t adjusted much all year and very exposed now.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022

Absolutely nothing wrong with being realistic about your team while also continuing to cheer them on until the last buzzer of the year.

Be a fan the way you see fit. I tend to say that your way is the right way to fan but right or wrong, do it as you see fit.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
I agree that the OS fans are very supportive of the players but not impressed by the work of the coaching staff and GM.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I'd love to see them tweak the D pairs for game 3. The Smith-Steen pairing is two defensive D meant to be a shutdown pair but all they do is defend because they can't get out of the D-zone. I'd like to see something like:

Jordan-Sedley
K.Smith-Petrovski
G.Smith-Rogers

Ride your top four and play the third pair ~12mins. Petrovski playing his offside isn't ideal but he moves better than Steen and moves pucks. His length helps fill lanes as well. I'd seriously consider playing G.Smith over Steen as I think he moves better and just plays a harder game than Steen on net front and along the wall. Saginaw's speed and pressure on the forecheck means there's less time and space. The D need to get to pucks quicker and move it quicker. Better mobility on the back end allows them to better manage gap control as Saginaw has done a good job finding and exploiting some of the loose gaps the Attack have allowed, likely trying to avoid been burnt by speed.

The K.Smith-Steen pairing have essentially been glued together since the trade deadline and it just doesn't work for me. I just feel like there needs to be a puck mover on that second pair and neither Steen or Smith are particularly great at that.

Saginaw has made adjustments and with the Attack coming back to home ice, they need make some of their own. It's certainly easier when you have last change to get the matchups you want. They should be able to better deploy their top forward groups in better situations and better manage defensive assignments. A strong start in the first period would be a good place to start as it would build some energy in the crowd. There's no better environment for a hockey game than a loud and engaged Bayshore.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Good comments, I think the Bayshore crowd will step up if the team gets off to a good start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad