Owen Sound Attack 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Can anyone guess Projected lineup for opening night?

Very hard to predict as of yet with any accuracy a rough prediction would look a little something like this.

Guzda
Chenard

Chibrikov
Seed
Sedley
Woolley
Steen

Goure
Burroughs
Lawrence
Guindon
Bryant
Barlow
Chafe
Petrovsky
Tiatinkin
Uens
Machacek

Plus/minus any additional signings from the U18 draft or past priority selection drafts the past 2 years that maybe fly under the radar types who deserve a crack at the OHL level.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
If any attack fans want to get a first look at Petrovsky, he will be playing in HGC in few days. Most likely second line Center. All the games he will play will be streamed on the HockeySlovakia YouTube channel

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
If any attack fans want to get a first look at Petrovsky, he will be playing in HGC in few days. Most likely second line Center. All the games he will play will be streamed on the HockeySlovakia YouTube channel

I would think he would be the Attack's second line centre this year behind Deni Goure, him or Guindon anyways.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Petrovsky finished off a solid HGC with 5 points in 5 games. His line was more of the third line, 2 way line, but was very good none the less. There is likely to be a potential spot in bottom 6 of the WjC squad if he hasn’t good season. Looking forward to the start of it

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Anyone who was able to watch rookie camp have any initial thoughts or impressions?

Figure there are spots for all three age groups at camp, but can't watch at work.

PuckTalk1122

Sep 3, 2013
Anyone who was able to watch rookie camp have any initial thoughts or impressions?

Figure there are spots for all three age groups at camp, but can't watch at work.

Guindon has looked great, a guy who can step right in and make an impact on scoreboard.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Attack Add Four Players to Roster on Final Day of Training Camp – Owen Sound Attack

Fantino, Bonaiuto, Votary, and Okitundu look to be the survivors of training camp. That gives the Attack 8(!!) 2004 born players on the roster if my math is correct, so I'm expecting growing pains this year. Very happy to see Okitundu signed as he got a lot of praise at the time the team drafted him in 2020.

Also still a goalie and/or overager to be moved out (a Guzda trade would solve both, even if it's not the move I'd make).

Surprised honestly the team didn't sign any more 2003 born players, but I'm counting only 12 forwards signed so maybe still more to come.

Here's a quick roster breakdown by position, sorted by age:

Forwards:
LeSage (02)
Machachek (02)(EU)
Goure (03)
Burroughs (03)
Lawrence (03)
Guidon (04)
Bryant (04)
Petrovsky (04)(EU)
Bonaiuto (04)
Fantino (04)
Barlow (05)
Chafe (05)

Defence:
Perrott (01)(OA)
Wolley (01)(OA)
Chibrikov (01)(OA)
Seed (02)
Sedley (03)
Steen (04)
Okitundu (04)
Uens (05)

Goaltenders:
Gouzda (01)(OA)
Chenard (02)
Votary (04)

The Attack's website still has Samanski listed on the roster but he's not coming back - though his inclusion underscores what a big loss he is, our forward group is very young and there will be tons of opportunity.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I was thinking about the 1000 attendance rule this season. I was at London's first exhibition game with 1000 fans in a 9000 plus seat arena, and the atmosphere was terrible. That led me to think of the Bayshore and I was wondering if your arena, always fun to watch a game at, might provide the best atmosphere this season given that it will be roughly 1/3 capacity. 1000 fans in a 3000 seat arena should make for a more exciting atmosphere than the rest of the league. You guys give any thought to that or maybe I just have too much time on my hands?

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I was thinking about the 1000 attendance rule this season. I was at London's first exhibition game with 1000 fans in a 9000 plus seat arena, and the atmosphere was terrible. That led me to think of the Bayshore and I was wondering if your arena, always fun to watch a game at, might provide the best atmosphere this season given that it will be roughly 1/3 capacity. 1000 fans in a 3000 seat arena should make for a more exciting atmosphere than the rest of the league. You guys give any thought to that or maybe I just have too much time on my hands?

The Bayshore is a different animal. This discussion has been spun for years now.

I've always stood by my belief that bigger isn't always better. London may have a 9,000 seat building but fans are all over the building.

In Owen Sound the building might be the smallest for capacity but can be intimidating to visitors from an atmosphere point. What creates the biggest optical illusion is the scoreclock as it is standard HD video board sitting on a low-hung supports. 3,800 fans with standing room leaves no place to hide during games for visiting teams as the fans are right close to the action.

For decades we Attack fans have heard all the views of the building is too small, the ice is too small. These are optical illusions to the non-regular fan.

Plain and simple our ice surface is 200×85 (standard rink size)

Our ceiling is low

Our seating capacity is lower than other buildings at 3,100 and standing 700 to make 3,800.

We may not have a 4 lane highway or university either but what we do have is a fan base that bleeds red, white and black on a nightly basis, and after 2 years of missing that the fans of the Attack will be there loud and intimidating again this season even with Covid-19 restrictions in the building.

I have stayed friends with a former Attack alumni for a number of years and when I met him he stated that in his time playing for the Petes the Petes players would cringe to have to play at the Bayshore. This identity has stood true for nearly 3 decades and has no plans on changing this year or any other.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team falls 4-2 to Colts in pre-season action.

Lines from today's game

Forwards

Barlow - Goure - Chàfe
Guindon - Lawrence - Fantino
LeSage - Bryant - Bonaiuto

Woolley - Sedley
Seed - Perrott
Okitundu - Uens
Steen

Guzda
Votary

×Chibrikov, Samanski, Petrovsky, Machacek, Burroughs, Chenard.

10 new faces dressed after such a long lay-off from not playing is something that to be expected. Especially with the simple fact that the new HC too trying new lines getting to know his players and coach systems and expectations is something that doesn't always show on the game summary.

This team has over a week of practice and training as well as getting systems down with GW behind the bench. Additional fact keeping in mind the majority of players haven't played a meaningful game of hockey in nearly 2 years the final score really isn’t something that I as a fan take into consideration right now nor do I really ever do.

These are pre-season and these games are to be used as a measuring stick for teams to see what they have in their development chart and see what kids have worked on for the coming season.

October 8th is still a fair way away and lots of things will happen and between now and then.

Including practices and team building. Step forward.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Samanski,

Still bizarre that the team has Samanski listed as a scratch, and even on the roster page, when he's clearly signed for Straubing. He's even in the team's official photo on their website and has a player profile. Attack management has been notorious for this kind of behind the curtain roster stuff for years so I'm not surprised, but frustrated as a fan when we basically get nothing from the team.

Projected lineup for the season?

A couple of major roster decisions yet to play out (ie. which of Guzda or Chenard gets moved, and if Guzda stays, which of the overage defenders are out), but roster looks something like this (more as a rough visual than how lines will actually look):

Lawrence - Goure - Burroughs
Petrovsky - Guindon - Machachek
LeSage-Barlow-Fantino
Bonaiuto-Bryant-Chafe

Woolley-Perrott
Chibrikov-Sedley
Seed-Steen
Okitundu-Uens

Guzda
Chenard
Votary

Super young forward group with Burroughs and Goure being the only guys with any real OHL scoring experience and even then they were underagers. Only 2 2002 forwards and no overage forwards. Neither LeSage or Machachek profile as scorers, but the opportunity is there.

The defence will likely change with one of the overagers being dealt and Seed playing in the Top 4.

It's a team that will live and die by the strength of its (admittedly quite good, quite deep) defensive strength and Guzda hopefully emerging as a top OHL goalie.

Reactions: LDN

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Sorry for the double post, but in case there was any doubt as to Samanski's status this year, he scored the game-winner in his DEL debut for Straubing tonight. So the group in my last post is the entirety of signed Attack forwards, barring any trades or other signings.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..Fantilli fans in NB super excited to have his rights....suppose Attack fans were too, at one time....not this year but NB asst. GM has coached him and Tyler Nelson..#1 pick that year..... is a friend.......hard to turn down powerhouse Michigan!!!

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
..Fantilli fans in NB super excited to have his rights....suppose Attack fans were too, at one time....not this year but NB asst. GM has coached him and Tyler Nelson..#1 pick that year..... is a friend.......hard to turn down powerhouse Michigan!!!

Sorry, what does this have to do with the Attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad