Owen Sound Attack 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadof4boys

Nov 20, 2019
Any word on any more of the 03's signing for next season? Rumor has it they are working on Catalano.

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
Certainly a fair question. I would have to think that they would be ok to start, I believe I read in the sun times that they were credited the rent on the arena for the games missed, and while I'm not sure, I think that they are fairly lean with regards to staffing and efficiency. Plus, to be honest, the only thing holding back the league from starting up at limited capacity is the US. As long as people are good with wearing masks indoors groups at 1/3 capacity (kind of like church now) should be ok in 2/3 months, I mean look how far we've come in the last month (cases cut in half), imagine how well things are going to go in the next 2 months.

The wild card will be people willing to get into the rink, but I think so many in the area seem ready to get back to normal, and while there will be some trepidation, but also a willingness to get back into that 'normal' that will allow the franchise to be viable for the short term. Perhaps not profitable, but certainly viable.

Fingers crossed.
Another significant factor will be peoples personal financial situation. There are so many people that have been (and still are) laid off due to Covid19. Will Attack tickets be in their budget?

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Another significant factor will be peoples personal financial situation. There are so many people that have been (and still are) laid off due to Covid19. Will Attack tickets be in their budget?

100 percent correct. I know many that have had that issue in Grey Bruce, which is sad. I see that the jobs report for the Provence was a positive one this past month, hopefully that applies to our area, but the first thing that will go if families or individuals are struggling will be entertainment. There's no great answers for any of it right now.

Reactions: FanAttack6

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hearing a December 1st start date being thrown around for start date for the season.

Offical announcement set for tomorrow at some point after OHL conference call although unconfirmed information would indicate a 64 game sched. According to Sportsnet's Jeff Marek.

Hopefully there will be a better more firm answer tomorrow on timeline or expected timeline for the OHL 2020/21 season and what the scheduling will look like, would expect geopolitical rivalries would be considered in the league's final decision on what the schedule would look like.

The Attack would see a steady dose of Barrie, Guelph, Kitchener, London like usual if not more in creased games ahead of the usually (×6,×8,×8,×6) format the team usually plays during a season. We will see however what the league's final decision is going to be or at least plan will be.

Reactions: FanAttack6

FanAttack6

Mar 4, 2019
I’d be very surprised to see a start date before January 2021. And even then who knows?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Lots of wheels in pre-planning stage, according to DD very few or limited extended road trips will be in play. Which is not a surprise to anyone really.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack have a return date but plenty of unknowns remain

The article really paints the obvious challenges of what the Attack and the CHL will have to overcome. Even with the best laid plans theres massive hurdles that will need to be in place and knowing the fact that the majority of the league staff in buildings are voluntarily this will create challenges within itself.

The unknowns are going to be huge and the results will be like playing with a 30 year old stick of dynamite on a mass scale for all involved players, billets, building staff, fans etc. Are all going to be in a giant chess match with time and safety for all.

The 64 game schedule for return to play is something that I still believe isn't anywhere close to be set in stone number of games that will be played. I still believe that we will see another reduction of games before ice is in OHL buildings and game dates are set.

Not because I believe that a 64 game wouldn't work but with the time parameters of what the CHL assumes would be responsible measures still have high risks even with that best laid plans in theory. Owen Sound is in now way a bigger building like Hamilton or Ottawa where the capacity is better suited for social distancing.

We shall see where this all goes but in no way will we see dates for games announced anytime soon.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
is Adam McMaster going to be one of your overagers?

Like every team in the OHL there's no way to tell who the OA class will be this season. AM started to really find his groove just before the OHL season shut down last season to the pandemic. AM could be a good OA candidate for the Bears next season lots of things are still up in the air in the OHL's plan for 2020-21.

Heard talks are possible that the CHL could extend the OHL OA limit or adjust the number for the coming season from 3 to whatever number the league could come up with lots of things could happen and will need to happen before the OHL's December 1st start date. Once the OHL gets the ball rolling on the 2020-21 season we will see what happens with the OHL's OA situations for all the teams.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I'm pretty sure everyone here would think along the same lines as I do, but holy smokes, how about that Nick Suzuki?
What a player! We were very lucky to watch this young man develop his star quality skills here in Owen Sound.
He may have finished his OHL career with Guelph but to me he will always be an Attack super star!

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hearing that players were at the Rec Centre in town.

This really only indicates what DD reinforced that players are training for the wrong start times, with the Bayshore still from what my knowledge setup as a field hospital and was just given the pre-green light to start removing additional Covid beds in the coming weeks would think that they want to pre-sanitize the building before players use the building.

The Rec Centre would be the best and closest option for any form of training camp sessions as the team will probably have no public training camp sessions this year. The other situation is simply that teams and especially teams like Owen Sound who have American players like Guzda, Perrott will have to be here pre-camp for quarantine protocols.

With guys like Perrott who have a local connection to the team and the city it's quite possible that they stayed put in town to avoid any un necessary travel or health issues during the pandemic. I remember hearing that 2-3 players stayed put after the OHL shut down the season. As the weeks and months tick down to the OHL season potential start date will see how much sooner guys will be in town before camp would not be surprised to see guys start arriving in mid to late October for camp in late November. If the season schedule is announced by the start time that the league believes it will be which is roughly etched for December 1st any non Ontario born guys will have to quarantine prior to the start of camp.

There still a lot more questions about schooling for the younger guys and billets that DD did mention to FW a few weeks back that will need to be sorted out in the coming months still but things look to be slowly starting to be put in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad