Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Yes, saw Kaleb Lawrence taking faceoffs late in the 3rd, in his first OHL game.

Not an excuse, merely an observation .
The roster included 8 skaters with a combined 12 OHL games experience.

It would be nice to see Chenard get in tonight's game.

Reactions: Attackfan72

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Honestly surprised the team didn't start Chenard last night. Get your first one on the road, keep Guzda fresh for Saturday. Odd decision.

Then again, Friday nights in Guelph are rarely wins for any Attack team historically.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I wonder about starting Guz on back-to-back nights. He played awesome on Thursday and posted the shutout, so maybe the thought was to ride the hot goalie. But we've got a 3-in-3, and I wonder if a night off last night would have been better for him, to give him some rest and let him dwell on the Barrie shutout longer, let the confidence brew longer and ride that into a home start tonight.

I'm also thinking they want to make sure Chenard's first OHL action is on home ice (most of McLean's early starts last year were at home), hence giving Guz back-to-back road starts to start the 3-in-3.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
New day new game.

The team played a decent game last night versus the Storm, just going through growing pains last night in Guelph. Watching how the team played last night and how this team is coached tonight will be a bounce back game and the team have the up tempo and line matchups against the Storm.

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
New day new game.

The team played a decent game last night versus the Storm, just going through growing pains last night in Guelph. Watching how the team played last night and how this team is coached tonight will be a bounce back game and the team have the up tempo and line matchups against the Storm.
Hope you are right!

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Honestly surprised the team didn't start Chenard last night. Get your first one on the road, keep Guzda fresh for Saturday. Odd decision.

Then again, Friday nights in Guelph are rarely wins for any Attack team historically.
I agree. Give your starter a night off in between starts and position yourself for 2 out of 3 wins in a 3-in-3.

I have to think the team's rationale is to insulate Chenard by letting him make his first game action on home ice. But I think the focus needs to be on insulating Guz and setting him up to succeed. He's the guy they chose to be the #1 (dealt McLean), so strategize how to best set him up for success.

Reactions: PensFan101

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I don't think the issue with Guzda is back to back games. (To paraphrase, "it's only a problem when you lose")

I think it's mental. He gives up an iffy goal, then quickly another, it gets in his head and he gives up another.

Then, his head was likely already in the dressing room when Storm scored in the dying seconds of the 2nd .

When he's on, and zoned in, he's as good as anyone in the league.

This is something the coaches will need to continue to work with him .

In the meantime, this is clearly a rebuild, so Chenard needs his reps.
I hope to see him every 3 or 4 games all year.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hope you are right!

This team will be alright tonight, 2 games on the road before playing tonight at home against the Storm showed the guys several things. One being that to win you have to play for a full 60 minute game.

The team didn't play a bad game last night from Guelph, this is the development part of the game. The team will come out and play that same up temp game they did in Barrie Thursday night, this is simply because the coaching staff won't let the team slide backwards.

The coaches demand the players play up tempo type game and I'm sure the crowd support will play a factor in the rematch this evening at the Bayshore. Everyone has to remember that this team has 10 guys who weren't in the lineup at this point last season.

Which is a major turnover of personal.

The big things that stood out last night versus the Storm were common things that would naturally happen in a rivalry game. One being line matchups the Storm line matched us and got there top 6 forwards out against our 1st year guys. Flipping the situation around to tonight where we get the line matchups against the Storm and we should see a difference in the outcome.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I don't think the issue with Guzda is back to back games. (To paraphrase, "it's only a problem when you lose")

I think it's mental. He gives up an iffy goal, then quickly another, it gets in his head and he gives up another.

Then, his head was likely already in the dressing room when Storm scored in the dying seconds of the 2nd .

When he's on, and zoned in, he's as good as anyone in the league.

This is something the coaches will need to continue to work with him .

In the meantime, this is clearly a rebuild, so Chenard needs his reps.
I hope to see him every 3 or 4 games all year.
I agree completely that it's 100% a mental thing with Guz, and that he's as good as anyone in the league when he's on his game.

I'm thinking it may be too much to ask of him mentally to start back-to-back games (especially road games) at this point in his development. For a 3-in-3, give him a night off in between starts to rest--physically and mentally--and prepare for the next game. Put him in the best position possible to succeed.

Reactions: Millpond

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I agree completely that it's 100% a mental thing with Guz, and that he's as good as anyone in the league when he's on his game.

I'm thinking it may be too much to ask of him mentally to start back-to-back games (especially road games) at this point in his development. For a 3-in-3, give him a night off in between starts to rest--physically and mentally--and prepare for the next game. Put him in the best position possible to succeed.

That would be a fair assessment at this point in the season

Reactions: Pond Hockey

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tight game tonight versus the Storm NC had a great game in the crease made some big time saves when needed too. Great to see Nic get 1st star honours tonight with a great confidence booster.

The team really push back against the Storm and created space to get the workhorse type goals. All in all a tight 3-2 win.

Reactions: OHL insideout

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
First game I watched where I paid a bit of attention. I am pleased with what I see. Although rebuilding I think we have a decent core and are going to be exciting and competitive. Dale continues to impress with the teams he brings to the table each year. Coaching staff looks to have the kids working hard as per the Owen Sound identity. Go Attack Go!

Edit - IMHO steal of the sell off is Popov..

Last edited:

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
First game I watched where I paid a bit of attention. I am pleased with what I see. Although rebuilding I think we have a decent core and are going to be exciting and competitive. Dale continues to impress with the teams he brings to the table each year. Coaching staff looks to have the kids working hard as per the Owen Sound identity. Go Attack Go!

Edit - IMHO steal of the sell off is Popov..
Mike you nailed it there are people who still don't like the Hancock trade but if you look at the big picture we gave up Hanner and a 6th got back Perrot,Popov and a 3rd. Iloved Hanner like everyone else but that deal favours the Attack pretty heavily IMHO.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
4 GMS is very early for an assesment but here goes. 2 very hard fought character gms a shootout loss against one of the top teams in the country and a last min victory in a tough game against a very well coached defending champion team with a lot of very positive signs from to many players to list so I'll just say everyone. I trouncing with our PP getting tons of practice and thats the bright side of that game. The down side when a game gets that stupid it does nothing for the team winning big makes them think it's going to be an easy ride. Plus the team getting stupid ends up hurting guy's, we came out of that game with 2 injuries not sure of the severity. Also the next game after a trouncing the team on the plus side comes out flat so I'm going to not even assess gms 2 and 3. Overall I give this team a very good grade to start off if they can keep positive builing in place this team is going to be very tough to play against.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Trades last year set the Attack up for a decent season. Hard to imagine what it would look like without the guys acquired in the deadline deals. Power play is fun to watch so far. Groulx needs to stop yapping at the refs, he can't be sitting in the box for 10 min chunks. Chenard looked really good in his debut.

Reactions: Attack Fan

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
All in all the weekend was for sure a huge success with 4 out of 6 points! Great to see young #31 Chenard have a very solid first game and first win in the OHL! A week of good practices and team building before another big early test on the road in Kitchener on Friday night. Things early on are looking positive and bright for this Attack team, keep it rolling now boys. -Go Attack Go-

Reactions: KFawcett

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Trades last year set the Attack up for a decent son. Hard to imagine what it would look like without the guys acquired in the deadline deals. Power play is fun to watch so far. Groulx needs to stop yapping at the refs, he can't be sitting in the box for 10 min chunks. Chenard looked really good in his debut.
I agree 100% without last years moves this team would not be pretty to watch. As far as Daylon we get what we get. He plays with Heart and right on that line,when he puts his foot across the line he gets himself in trouble. Hopefully with maturity and being looked to in a more offensive role he will stay just on the line and not cross it to often.

Reactions: Noofgoof

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Latest on Moritz Seider is that he's been assigned to Grand Rapids of the AHL: Detroit Red Wings assign 1st-rounder Moritz Seider, Michael Rasmussen to minors

So that's where he'll be playing unless he does not make the cut. The Red Wings have a decent group down there so it's not a sure thing just yet, eliteprospects has seven other defenders listed on their roster (all at least three years older).

In the realm of reality, I still find it weird that the Attack are only carrying 7 defenders, with no Junior B cards as injury insurance. Still 15 forwards on the roster, and already injury problems where Samanski, Seed, and Woolley are on the mend.

Feels like they're accepting a thin margin on the blue line... But another injury (although Woolley should be back shortly) puts the team in deep trouble.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Latest on Moritz Seider is that he's been assigned to Grand Rapids of the AHL: Detroit Red Wings assign 1st-rounder Moritz Seider, Michael Rasmussen to minors

So that's where he'll be playing unless he does not make the cut. The Red Wings have a decent group down there so it's not a sure thing just yet, eliteprospects has seven other defenders listed on their roster (all at least three years older).

In the realm of reality, I still find it weird that the Attack are only carrying 7 defenders, with no Junior B cards as injury insurance. Still 15 forwards on the roster, and already injury problems where Samanski, Seed, and Woolley are on the mend.

Feels like they're accepting a thin margin on the blue line... But another injury (although Woolley should be back shortly) puts the team in deep trouble.

This team is far from being in trouble, carrying 7 defenders isn't weird. With the team being where they are currently in the standings this is the time where if the guys are going to go through growing pains to take them as a learning curve.

Yes injuries in the season aren't ideal at any point in time, however this gives guys a chance to step in roles early on and get experience in key situations that they typically wouldn't get if the roster was healthy.

When it comes to Seider it anyone's guess what Detroit will do and whether he will ever report to OS at any point of the season, it would be great if he was sent however I'm not holding my hopes too high but more looking forward to what is currently here on the roster and watching the team build on there early successes from the past two weeks heading into week 3 and the remainder of the season ahead.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Saw it mentioned a couple weeks ago that Groulx might be on the trade block. Is that still the case?

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014

This is for the old Electric Ice users, are we on the yellow practice jersey watch again?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad