Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Just checking in after the trade deadline and seeing that activity on most team threads has definitely slowed. After the moves that were made last year here in OS, I was disappointed that there wasn't more activity this year as well. I really think that if we would have traded #27 Dudas and #33 Lyle the return would have potentially positioned this team very well moving into next year and beyond. We will now have to live through another year or two of uncertainty and minimal progress towards being a contending team because of it.
Trading away one of our 00's I guess was a good move, wishing though it wasn't #11 Groulx. He plays a gritty game with heart and sticks up for his teammates when needed, good for him to be dealt to the 67's, he will be a great addition there.
Let's hope our younger guys can develop into the impact players we will need them to be and then hopefully we will see a team with relevance once again in the Western Conference.
Still 28 games to play, some work to do to climb into a playoff spot!

Reactions: Bear in the Woods

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Just checking in after the trade deadline and seeing that activity on most team threads has definitely slowed. After the moves that were made last year here in OS, I was disappointed that there wasn't more activity this year as well. I really think that if we would have traded #27 Dudas and #33 Lyle the return would have potentially positioned this team very well moving into next year and beyond. We will now have to live through another year or two of uncertainty and minimal progress towards being a contending team because of it.
Trading away one of our 00's I guess was a good move, wishing though it wasn't #11 Groulx. He plays a gritty game with heart and sticks up for his teammates when needed, good for him to be dealt to the 67's, he will be a great addition there.
Let's hope our younger guys can develop into the impact players we will need them to be and then hopefully we will see a team with relevance once again in the Western Conference.
Still 28 games to play, some work to do to climb into a playoff spot!

Agree or disagree with it but DD stated he wouldn't move BL or AD at the dead-line. Plain and simple

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I can only assume he kept the vets to help keep the streak of 30 W's and playoffs alive. For whatever reason, that's the gold standard in OS. No way we make the playoffs or hit 30 W's without Dudas and Lyle. Keeping those guys is not helping the team for the future, but whatever, it is what it is. Looking at the projected roster for next year (namely the forward group), I don't see how the streak stays alive next year, and for that reason I think we may as well have dealt our vets this year to make a run in 2-3 years' time. But that's clearly not the thinking in OS, there's no concept of having down years in order to have contending years, everything is just win 30 games and make the playoffs and that's all that matters.

As someone else posted, they don't hang banners for 30 win seasons.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I can only assume he kept the vets to help keep the streak of 30 W's and playoffs alive. For whatever reason, that's the gold standard in OS. No way we make the playoffs or hit 30 W's without Dudas and Lyle. Keeping those guys is not helping the team for the future, but whatever, it is what it is. Looking at the projected roster for next year (namely the forward group), I don't see how the streak stays alive next year, and for that reason I think we may as well have dealt our vets this year to make a run in 2-3 years' time. But that's clearly not the thinking in OS, there's no concept of having down years in order to have contending years, everything is just win 30 games and make the playoffs and that's all that matters.

With hindsight now in our favour in terms of the deadline, keeping Lyle makes more sense, as the Overage market was extremely weak. Sarnia for example is stuck with a couple Lyle-quality Overagers who in all likelihood are done at the end of the regular season. The Sudbury/North Bay captain swap is Patient 0 for how weird the market was for them.

Dudas, plain and simple, makes 0 sense. He would've been the second most valuable 2000 forward moved after Thomas. Moving just him and nobody else likely returns the 2020 second that Dale had to throw in a future 3rd to acquire, and the 02 or 01 forward that makes the team a little more balanced, a little more dangerous this year.

What will be crazy is that - given we have statistically a Top 3 or 4 goaltending tandem in the league right now - is that we'll finally have the goaltending the team so desperately wanted beforehand, but no firepower up front to help them out.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Keeping those guys is not helping the team for the future
See, I don't always prescribe to this train of thought. As a young player, would you rather play on a team that gets pummeled every night with no chance of making playoffs, or one that has a chance to win every game, and is in a tight battle for a playoff spot right until the end of the season. In which scenario do you think you are more likely to learn more, give your all, and ultimately take the biggest developmental strides?

Sometimes keeping your vets actually facilitates a faster developmental cycle for your young players.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team had a good bounce back game tonight after a rough weekend on the eastern swing. Yes the Colts sold off some big pieces at the deadline time, and that could have small part to play into tonight's win.

Still a win is a win no matter how the final score is. If the team can get their groove going then this team will be in good footing moving forward hopefully now the trade-deadline is behind the team that will have a smoother rest of the schedule now that everyone knows that everyone who's here won't be going anywhere.

Sometimes we forget as fans these are still kids and when the deadline comes it can put players nerves on eggshells now that's behind the team and the coaching staff back in place that will truly see this team for what this team can be. With the Storm and Generals coming up this weekend there certainly won't be a whole lot of time to admire the win tonight before the guys have go get there game faces back on. The puzzling thing this season has truly been that hit and miss success this team has had this year hopefully the team can build on the win tonight versus the Colts and get on a roll before seasons end.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

I'll play Devils Advocate here but does D.D look like genius if L.A returns Dudas? Let me finish smoking what I'm smoking and now FF to next season where we have our whole d corp back except C.R we have a very solid goaltending tandem and O/A's Kirwin Poppy and Dudas. With the way our rookies are coming along maybe it's not doom and gloom. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it wouldn't be the first freight train I've been run over by but who knows. L.A has a few high end prospects not all can play in the minors.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I'll play Devils Advocate here but does D.D look like genius if L.A returns Dudas? Let me finish smoking what I'm smoking and now FF to next season where we have our whole d corp back except C.R we have a very solid goaltending tandem and O/A's Kirwin Poppy and Dudas. With the way our rookies are coming along maybe it's not doom and gloom. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course it wouldn't be the first freight train I've been run over by but who knows. L.A has a few high end prospects not all can play in the minors.
That's a fair point, you really never know, look what happened with Markus Phillips being returned to the OHL. So there is some precedent, and Dudas is another LA prospect. Still a longshot I'd say, but I suppose you never know.

I agree that the goaltending and defense will be good next season, likely the strength areas of the team. I think we'll struggle to score goals, which is mainly why I think the streak is in jeopardy. I do not think it will be "doom and gloom" in the sense that the team will look like, say, North Bay does this year in the W column. We could still make the playoffs without winning 30 games. And the roster can always change, of course, we could perhaps pick up some offensive pieces.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
That's a fair point, you really never know, look what happened with Markus Phillips being returned to the OHL. So there is some precedent, and Dudas is another LA prospect. Still a longshot I'd say, but I suppose you never know.

I agree that the goaltending and defense will be good next season, likely the strength areas of the team. I think we'll struggle to score goals, which is mainly why I think the streak is in jeopardy. I do not think it will be "doom and gloom" in the sense that the team will look like, say, North Bay does this year in the W column. We could still make the playoffs without winning 30 games. And the roster can always change, of course, we could perhaps pick up some offensive pieces.

I done the math many times over the years, and I'll be honest 30 W's gets you into the playoffs in the western conference most years and 40+ wins gets you a championship. That's just how the cards fall in this league, yes a lot of things have to right at the most opportune time to win but the stats don't lie. Look at last season when Guelph won the league they only had 40 wins and won all the marbles in the OHL and the year Owen Sound did it we won 46 and won the league.

To be successful in this league the strive should always be 40 wins not 30 especially if we the fans hope to see another championship banner raising in the Bayshore, those are just the obvious facts and unless something crazy changes those odds that's just the way the season are going these days.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Him making the World Junior team and already being signed by LA puts his chances of returning at a very, very low number. But as you said, that number isn't 0 so can always hang out hope

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Woolley got a 4 game suspension for the check on Barrie player. Will be back in line up for Erie trip. Didn't think it was that bad considering some of the other hits going both ways during that game.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Woolley got a 4 game suspension for the check on Barrie player. Will be back in line up for Erie trip. Didn't think it was that bad considering some of the other hits going both ways during that game.

100% suspensions are based off 3 simple things, angle of the hit, injury on the play, and positioning of the contact after that it's all based on post-hit medical reports and if the player who made contact is a repeat hitter. Unfortunately now that there's in game video review which yes is a good thing it can also work against you as well when it comes to borderline hits as the on-ice official and opposing team coach can call for video review of hits, this also comes with a price of losing a timeout and assested a delay of game call for 2 minutes as per the OHL's new video rule if the ruling stands on the ice. This also plays big in disciplinary actions post-game as they can now use in house video as a means to determining the length of a suspension. Unfortunately that's how the game is played now in the league.

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
100% suspensions are based off 3 simple things, angle of the hit, injury on the play, and positioning of the contact after that it's all based on post-hit medical reports and if the player who made contact is a repeat hitter. Unfortunately now that there's in game video review which yes is a good thing it can also work against you as well when it comes to borderline hits as the on-ice official and opposing team coach can call for video review of hits, this also comes with a price of losing a timeout and assested a delay of game call for 2 minutes as per the OHL's new video rule if the ruling stands on the ice. This also plays big in disciplinary actions post-game as they can now use in house video as a means to determining the length of a suspension. Unfortunately that's how the game is played now in the league.
Spoken like a true OHL Official.

Hit was from a less than 30 degree angle........player wasn't injured........no need for a post hit medical.

The league is trying to remove big hits from the game. Wolley is one of the last remaining "big hitters".

Case closed.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Spoken like a true OHL Official.

Hit was from a less than 30 degree angle........player wasn't injured........no need for a post hit medical.

The league is trying to remove big hits from the game. Wolley is one of the last remaining "big hitters".

Case closed.

I'm not an official in the league but someone who has seen his fair share of games in this league over 20+ years and this the way the league operates plain and simple. Agreed the league is trying to get a handle on "Big Hit" as you mention but you have to accept that suspensions are solely based on the post-game medical reports and not the incident itself. A good example of this was Garret Wilson's 15 game slew-foot suspension the year we won the league then suspension was solely based on the length of time the injury rehab was to be taken not the indecent itself.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The boys took advantage of missing players the last couple games.
Tonight their best players played the best.

Western conf, top4 teams separated by 3 pts.
5 thru 8 separated by 4 pts.
Saturday we host Oshawa, whoisone put ahead.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team played a good road game tonight. Limited the Storm's chances in the first and second frames, if you take out the letting the foot off the intensity in the final frame with 3 and half minutes left the team played about as picture perfect of a road game as is to be expected especially in tight games versus divisional opponents.

Onward to tomorrow and the Oshawa Generals, this won't be an easy task against one of the eastern conference's top clubs but with fairly close season records between the two clubs match-up. This will be very much where home-ice advantage maybe the difference maker in game. It's always interesting comparing conferences statistically throughout a week by week view standings wise as the Attack sit 7th in a 3-way tie for 6th in the west by same token of fate the Generals who are one point up on the Attack in the league sit 4th in the eastern conference. Yes this is what the league wanted and yes it's easy to point out how obviously the parity is showing in the league this season standings wise but looking from a wider frame of mind if you placed the Attack in the east instead of the west they'd be sitting one point back of home-ice in the open round of the playoffs with a chance to lock down the 4th spot before the season ends.

Sure makes you wonder what would happen if the team was playing in the central division then the mid-west some seasons.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
After watching Attack Rap, I'm comforted in knowing now, the Attacks upcoming draft picks.
Rd 1
3 -two picks
4- two picks
5 -two picks
6-two picks

Thats a lot of picks in round one thru six. Any could make the roster down the road.

Things looking far rosier than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad