Status
Not open for further replies.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
F423A0A8-A181-4605-A353-2EFF41C786B7.png

Reactions: Noofgoof

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I'm thinking the loss of Dudas for an extended period made a move for a C necessary.

Otherwise, why would we be adding.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I'm thinking the loss of Dudas for an extended period made a move for a C necessary.

Maybe dd and company believe this team is better then the big losing streak they recently came off of.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
And if nothing else why not fill the remaining vacant OA spot with a guy that is well known to the team and been a heck of a player and leader . Hes a good add no matter what and if things go totally sideways between now and January then you can always re trade him or trade Dudas and Lyle and still be left with a dependable leadership group. He had 81 points last year and I dont think it was a coincedence

Reactions: Millpond

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

The devil you know or the devil you don't. The team really needed a guy like Struts to carry the workload with Dudes away right now, and the price was fairly low for an OA. Plus it gives the forward group a bit more dimension up front for special teams.

The Battalion were certainly not going to make noise in the east being dead last in that conference especially nearing the halfway point of the season.

With Struts being added back to the roster this will certainly create a bit more forward depth up front for the team.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
The devil you know or the devil you don't. The team really needed a guy like Struts to carry the workload with Dudes away right now, and the price was fairly low for an OA. Plus it gives the forward group a bit more dimension up front for special teams.

The Battalion were certainly not going to make noise in the east being dead last in that conference especially nearing the halfway point of the season.

With Struts being added back to the roster this will certainly create a bit more forward depth up front for the team.
Yes, I agree management most likely realized we need a veteran C to shoulder the load with Dudas gone. We've already slid a ways down the standings, they probably felt there's no room to slid down further. Hence the trade.

I also agree this move adds more F depth. But we were told we had too much depth up front when we got rid of Nizhnikov. I'm wondering if we move another F after Dudas comes back.

Reactions: OHL insideout

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Nice move for this Attack team. Struthers will add scoring, size and some grit to the forward group. With Dudas being out of the line up for up to 6 weeks adding a player like this should only help both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Maybe dd and company believe this team is better then the big losing streak they recently came off of.
For sure, I would agree, but how much better? If management thinks we have the foundation to make a run for a MC, then add pieces for sure. But if we're not going to win anything this year, there's no sense in giving up more assets IMO.

And if nothing else why not fill the remaining vacant OA spot with a guy that is well known to the team and been a heck of a player and leader . Hes a good add no matter what and if things go totally sideways between now and January then you can always re trade him or trade Dudas and Lyle and still be left with a dependable leadership group. He had 81 points last year and I dont think it was a coincedence
He's a great player for sure, there's no questioning that. I agree with your point about possibly trading him again (and other vets as you mentioned) if things keep going sideways between now and the trade deadline. Acquiring Struthers for sure gives us more flexibility now, and also helps to stop the bleeding in the standings with Dudas gone. I'm less concerned with filling the third OA spot; if we're not going to contend, I don't see the point in giving up assets just to fill the last OA spot and I'd be fine with the two we had.

Reactions: Bear in the Woods

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
For sure, I would agree, but how much better? If management thinks we have the foundation to make a run for a MC, then add pieces for sure. But if we're not going to win anything this year, there's no sense in giving up more assets IMO.

He's a great player for sure, there's no questioning that. I agree with your point about possibly trading him again (and other vets as you mentioned) if things keep going sideways between now and the trade deadline. Acquiring Struthers for sure gives us more flexibility now, and also helps to stop the bleeding in the standings with Dudas gone. I'm less concerned with filling the third OA spot; if we're not going to contend, I don't see the point in giving up assets just to fill the last OA spot and I'd be fine with the two we had.

Lets also acknowledge the assets are years away (2022 is the earliest pick) and with the amount of 2000s they have on the roster, they will get that back and more over the summer.

Just as your never as good as you are at the top, your never as bad as you are at the bottom. I think its fair given the team that we are icing to suggest they are a team that should win 3 of every 5, not win 8 of 10 at the start and lose 7 straight like they did early.

The standard for the past 10 years in Owen Sound has been 30 wins and the playoffs, that's what the ownership group talks about and takes pride in from talking to them at games and in the city. This is a simple way at a good price to push the team into that area.

The forward group is now pretty solid and if Guzda continues to play like he has this year, they shouldn't struggle with wins. I'm glad they did it now and not in January.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
There are 15 forwards now .

That's a complicated juggling act for management.
They've got to find enough playing time for youngsters to justify their existence here, and evaluate thrm going forward.

There got way too many OO's. Typically a good thing in a go for it year, but this year, are they taking away ice from the kids ?

I feel something is going to give. Maybe before Dudas is back .

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Millpond; "are they taking away ice time from the kids"? This group of 16-17 year olds have been given more ice time than any other group of youngsters in quite some time. A month back it looked like the coaches had spread out the 16-17 year olds throughout the line up making 3/4 more even lines. With this trade today it would seem that DD and Co. were looking at the need for more veteran experience and scoring punch up front.
Still not overwhelming evidence of a "let's go for it" year or a "let's trade away some valuable assets" year.
Just over a month away from the trade deadline!

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Lets also acknowledge the assets are years away (2022 is the earliest pick) and with the amount of 2000s they have on the roster, they will get that back and more over the summer.

Just as your never as good as you are at the top, your never as bad as you are at the bottom. I think its fair given the team that we are icing to suggest they are a team that should win 3 of every 5, not win 8 of 10 at the start and lose 7 straight like they did early.

The standard for the past 10 years in Owen Sound has been 30 wins and the playoffs, that's what the ownership group talks about and takes pride in from talking to them at games and in the city. This is a simple way at a good price to push the team into that area.

The forward group is now pretty solid and if Guzda continues to play like he has this year, they shouldn't struggle with wins. I'm glad they did it now and not in January.
I think it depends which 2000's we keep as OA's next season. The ones that could get us 2nd or 3rd round picks are the ones I think we'd keep. Kirwin and Robertson I'd like to keep, not sure on the others yet at this point. Popov I think would have some value. Not sure on McMaster or Groulx. If Pearson plays the way he did on Saturday against the Spirit, I'd love to have him back for an OA year. I don't see Dudas returning for an OA year, so I don't think he'd have any value in the summer.

I think you nailed it with the 'Owen Sound standard'...30 W's + playoffs. I think that's what management/ownership wants to see again this year. With the slide in the standings and now Dudas's injury, the Struthers trade is the cost to keep the 'standard' going. Otherwise, if they were OK to go through an actual rebuild and break the 30 W + playoffs streak, I think we just weather the storm without Dudas regardless of the outcome, and keep our assets.

I agree too, if this is the road DD is going, I'm glad he made the move for help now. I remember two years ago when we lost Hancock to injury in London in late November, we had an abysmal December, DD picked up Daniil Vertiy (that guy didn't last very long here) and didn't get any real help until McKenzie at the deadline, 1.5 months after Hancock's injury. IIRC, we ended up 6 pts back of Kitchener for the Division win, and it meant we faced Soo in Round 2 and not Round 3. So, yeah, good on DD for getting help now.

And of course we have the Sportsnet game in London this Friday. Timely to get Struthers for that.

Top 3 centers of Struthers, Dudas, and Kirwin...not bad at all.

plowman

Nov 24, 2014
I think Struthers moves to wing and plays with Dudas. Big strong body with some skill, would make more room for Dudas and himself. Popov, guroix and Macmaster are skilled, but not big power forwards

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
I think Struthers moves to wing and plays with Dudas. Big strong body with some skill, would make more room for Dudas and himself. Popov, guroix and Macmaster are skilled, but not big power forwards
Sadly in almost 2 seasons I think I only saw him use his big body about 5 times.
He will put up the points with a much stronger to team, like yours.

Reactions: Uncle

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
He won’t play the body much at all. Definitely leaving a better player than when he came

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Interesting how the roster shakes out at the end of the day.

Looking back of how this team was now assembled, 16 members of this roster including DD re-recent addition.

(Original Draft Team)

Guzda (Draft 2017)
Chenard (Draft 2018)

Robertson (Attack Pick drafted by Ottawa 2016)
Chibrikov (Draft 2017)
Seed (Draft 2018)
Perrott (London) (Draft 2017)
Sedley (Draft 2019)
Woolley (Guelph) (Draft 2017)
Lyle (North Bay) (Draft 2015)

Goure (Draft 2019)
Samanski (Free Agent 2019)
Groulx (Draft 2016)
Le Sage (Draft 2019)
Philip (Niagara) (Draft 2015)
Kirwin (Guelph) (Draft 2016)
Wilson (Draft 2018)
Machacek (Draft 2019)
McMaster (North Bay) (Draft 2016)
Lawrence Draft 2019)
Pearson (Flint) (Draft 2017)
Dudas (Draft 2016)
Burroughs (Draft 2019)
Popov (Kingston) (Draft 2016)
Struthers (Draft 2015)

plowman

Nov 24, 2014
Sadly in almost 2 seasons I think I only saw him use his big body about 5 times.
He will put up the points with a much stronger to team, like yours.
He doesn't need to play the body, but we all know that a bigger body is harder to stop going to the net, cycling the puck, or trying to get by in the defensive zone. We will see where he plays, center for sure while Dudas is out. Maybe center with Dudas on wing? or a combination of the two depending on the situation.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I think it depends which 2000's we keep as OA's next season. The ones that could get us 2nd or 3rd round picks are the ones I think we'd keep. Kirwin and Robertson I'd like to keep, not sure on the others yet at this point. Popov I think would have some value. Not sure on McMaster or Groulx. If Pearson plays the way he did on Saturday against the Spirit, I'd love to have him back for an OA year. I don't see Dudas returning for an OA year, so I don't think he'd have any value in the summer.

Next year they will have the opportunity to chose from three of the following...

Kirwin
Pearson
McMaster
Robertson
Groulx
Popov

Popov and Kirwin would appear to be locks based on how they are used (and they probably should be)

One of McMaster, Roberston, Groulx and Pearson will be kept.

With all due respect, if you don't believe that they can get a 2nd and a 3rd combined for all three of those players, I'm not sure what to say.

Both McMaster and Robertson alone, based on past comparables, would be worth that. Plus, they will be ahead of the 2022/2024 dates on the picks given up yesterday. Point a game 19 year olds are quite valuable for teams that don't have any.

I'm not sure why you don't believe they can get the picks back?

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
With Struthers back, lets have some fun, do you go with him at centre (once Dudas is back)

Popov - Dudas - Groulx
Philip - Struthers - Burroughs
McMaster - Kirwin - Pearson
Lawrence - Samanski - Goure

Or load it up?

Popov - Dudas - Struthers
Philip - Kirwin - Groulx
McMaster - Samanski - Pearson
Lawrence - Goure - Burroughs

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With the addition of Struthers re-inserted into the lineup, the lines will probably look something like this once everyone's back.

Popov - Dudas - Groulx
Philip - Struthers - Pearson
McMaster - Kirwin - Burroughs
Machacek - Wilson - Goure

Robertson - Lyle
Woolley - Perrott
Chibrikov - Seed
Sedley

Guzda
Chenard

Rotating in Lawrence, Le Sage, and Samanski on forward on the bottom 6 forward lines. This will make for a fairly strong forward group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad