Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Andrew McLean gets it

He said he went into camp and worked his balls off(yes he said that on live TV) and accepted whatever the Attack decided to do with him but he knew he gave it everything he had and intended to be back with the big team before Christmas. He also gave credit to his teammates for his success. Class kid. Hes gonna be something with an attitude like that. And he was a 10th round pick. Not bad

Last edited:

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
Yes he seems to, this kid has won the hearts of the Attack faithful! Not sure what his future brings, this may just be a hot streak or maybe with added playing time we are seeing his true potential. Im guessing he will be easier to trade off since a 10th rd pick probably dosent have a large contract package or added baggage. I'm hoping neither Guzda or Maclean gets sent packing at least this year. Lets see what happens, I would guess they will push each other. Who will get the start vs Sarnia? Do we ride with Maclean as long as he is hot? I know he was part of the Sting program in MM, so maybe he has a better feel for the arena or maybe the Sting have a better scouting report on him. Maybe Guzda should get a chance at redemption after 5 straight games???

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Attack play by play guy Fred Wallace today predicting on his 'Off The Wire' segment, the Attack will look 'vastly different' from the one that just had a five game winning streak.

DD talking to 6 teams with many different scenarios in play.

Stay tuned folks.

Reactions: OS Fan

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Sounds very likely a big selloff is in the works. Her is an early look at what the Attack 2019-20 roster might look like, also with spots that might need to be filled. I do not see Robinson back as an OA/99.

________ Dudas/00 Groulx/00
Roberts/99 _______ Pearson/00
Wilson/01 Russell/01 Alberg/01
Doherty/00 Caruk/01 _______

Phillips/99 Lyle/99
Seed/02 Robertson/00
Chibrikov/01 _______
________

MacLean/01
Guzda/01

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Goalies get hot and cold. We don't know yet if McLean is the real deal. He's had a good stretch here but hes just a rookie. Let's be patient. There is no need to jump the gun and trade either of them.
They may be going with a play till you lose mentality. I'm good with that. I just told my gf who is a Guzda fan an concerned that all this does is set the bar when Mack gets in we see how he responds. Maybe he say's f you guy's and wins 6-7 in a row.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Sounds very likely a big selloff is in the works. Her is an early look at what the Attack 2019-20 roster might look like, also with spots that might need to be filled. I do not see Robinson back as an OA/99.

Phillips/99 Lyle/99
Seed/02 Robertson/00
Chibrikov/01 _______
________

MacLean/01
Guzda/01
I have Cade Robinson in as an O/A and Phillips out as I don't feel he is back.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
My thoughts on Robinson are, I don't see him playing ahead of Groulx or Pearson and Alberg will be a second year Import, if he is on the 4'th line then the team should just get rid of him. OA's need to be top 6 players upfront IMO. Also to note, if the Attack are to get the other German Import Dman to report, it might be in their best interest to have Alberg here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pond Hockey

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
I have Cade Robinson in as an O/A and Phillips out as I don't feel he is back.

Phillips/99 Lyle/99
Seed/02 Robertson/00
Chibrikov/01 _______
________

MacLean/01
Guzda/01

Thanks for putting this together as it's a visible reminder how thin the Attack will be next year if they don't trade their assets. Phillips coming back next year is a definite ?. Even if his point totals are lower this year, he's a great skater so if he can keep up with the World Junior pace of play, which the coaching staff obviously believes he can do, then he will likely be able to keep up to the AHL pace next year and be a more defensive Dman as he's identifying as.

This line-up will be a lunch-pail type of group...work hard to get the goals as they won't be overly skilled. Sure hope that if that import Dman the Attack already drafted has a good attitude that he shows up next year, either way, the Attack need help on both ends. At least goaltending looks to be good for the next few years!!

Having said all of this, I do respect DD for his commitment to his players and treating them more like family than commodities.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Thanks for putting this together as it's a visible reminder how thin the Attack will be next year if they don't trade their assets. Phillips coming back next year is a definite ?. Even if his point totals are lower this year, he's a great skater so if he can keep up with the World Junior pace of play, which the coaching staff obviously believes he can do, then he will likely be able to keep up to the AHL pace next year and be a more defensive Dman as he's identifying as.

This line-up will be a lunch-pail type of group...work hard to get the goals as they won't be overly skilled. Sure hope that if that import Dman the Attack already drafted has a good attitude that he shows up next year, either way, the Attack need help on both ends. At least goaltending looks to be good for the next few years!!

Having said all of this, I do respect DD for his commitment to his players and treating them more like family than commodities.

I'd be surprised if Marcus plays another game for the bears

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
They may be going with a play till you lose mentality. I'm good with that. I just told my gf who is a Guzda fan an concerned that all this does is set the bar when Mack gets in we see how he responds. Maybe he say's f you guy's and wins 6-7 in a row.
That would be the best scenario and I hope he does. Then we have no worries in goal. Wouldn't that be nice.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018

At this point the players not returning next year are commodities and ultimately this is a business. DD has a commitment to doing what's best for the team first and I'm positive he will do just that. I'm feeling very encouraged for the future. Playoffs this year and next and a legit run for the title next. I'd bet a years pay on it if he does what needs to be done and we get the right pieces

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
My thoughts on Robinson are, I don't see him playing ahead of Groulx or Pearson and Alberg will be a second year Import, if he is on the 4'th line then the team should just get rid of him. OA's need to be top 6 players upfront IMO. Also to note, if the Attack are to get the other German Import Dman to report, it might be in their best interest to have Alberg here.
If there is an upgrade to Cade then I'm all for it I was just including him to give us 3 as I'm not counting on Markus being back. I don't believe any 19 yr olds that have ever made Team Canada have ever returned as an O/A.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Yes he seems to, this kid has won the hearts of the Attack faithful! Not sure what his future brings, this may just be a hot streak or maybe with added playing time we are seeing his true potential. Im guessing he will be easier to trade off since a 10th rd pick probably dosent have a large contract package or added baggage. I'm hoping neither Guzda or Maclean gets sent packing at least this year. Lets see what happens, I would guess they will push each other. Who will get the start vs Sarnia? Do we ride with Maclean as long as he is hot? I know he was part of the Sting program in MM, so maybe he has a better feel for the arena or maybe the Sting have a better scouting report on him. Maybe Guzda should get a chance at redemption after 5 straight games???
You ride the hot goalie... pretty simple really

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hey guys who do you think might be moved on your club and what do you think the asking price would be?

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002

Attack play by play guy Fred Wallace today predicting on his 'Off The Wire' segment, the Attack will look 'vastly different' from the one that just had a five game winning streak.

DD talking to 6 teams with many different scenarios in play.

Stay tuned folks.
I heard Fred on Bear Radio (Ottawa game) saying Attack management were scouting a recent OHL game involving potential trading partners. He's sounding very confident that deals will be made.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Management has sat down with Suzuki and explained tbe situation a while ago.
The wont move him for 50 cents on the dollar or anything and he will have some say in where he goes but the kid, family are aware of the potential of finishing his career in a different uniform.
Good communication and a respectful relationship.

Reactions: TheCoach

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Of course I completely agree. That’s how I see their situation as well. It’s just it has to be a little dissapointing considering how competitive the team is. Just an observation.
It's a very good observation. This season was Year #3 of a 3-year window. But the constant piddling away of assets depleted the cupboards at the worst possible time, leaving the team without the resources to make any meaningful moves to try to compete with the elite teams this year and capitalize on the final season with this core group. As we realize by now, the best option forward seems to be to sell to avoid a really bad next few years.

I think most of us fully understand your situation. You guys are knowledgeable enough about junior hockey to recognize its’ cyclical nature and come to terms with it.
I can't help but think that the only person in Attackland who doesn't recognize the cyclical nature of junior hockey is our GM. E.g., not buying into the 'win-now' mentality and instead piddling away assets through the 'soft-trade approach' to try to maintain a consistently competitive team. Unfortunately, this approach has proved to be unsustainable and has caught up to DD at the worst possible time (i.e., being forced to sell off a highly talented core group of veterans this season instead of being able to add to it for final, legit playoff run with this group).

It will be interesting to see if DD continues to adopt the 'consistently competitive' approach going forward, or if he changes course in line with the cyclical approach that most every other team takes.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It's a very good observation. This season was Year #3 of a 3-year window. But the constant piddling away of assets depleted the cupboards at the worst possible time, leaving the team without the resources to make any meaningful moves to try to compete with the elite teams this year and capitalize on the final season with this core group. As we realize by now, the best option forward seems to be to sell to avoid a really bad next few years.

I can't help but think that the only person in Attackland who doesn't recognize the cyclical nature of junior hockey is our GM. E.g., not buying into the 'win-now' mentality and instead piddling away assets through the 'soft-trade approach' to try to maintain a consistently competitive team. Unfortunately, this approach has proved to be unsustainable and has caught up to DD at the worst possible time (i.e., being forced to sell off a highly talented core group of veterans this season instead of being able to add to it for final, legit playoff run with this group).

It will be interesting to see if DD continues to adopt the 'consistently competitive' approach going forward, or if he changes course in line with the cyclical approach that most every other team takes.

I believe there is enough evidence to suggest he will sell off, his first since arriving here in a worse situation .

Done properly, the Attack won't need to rebuild, but rather re-fuel.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Good post, thanks. Am I correct in that what you’re saying is some degree of lumps must be sustained by a franchise if they are going to maximize their target year in a given cycle. That being very competitive for several years comes at the price of not being in a position to be a championship team. Perpetual bridesmaids if you like. Makes complete sense although I think the goal of a franchise (see London) should be to take a step back during down years without having to endure any seasons of less than twenty wins. In essence retool rather than truly rebuilding from the ashes (Kingston). This can only be done through excellent scouting, drafting , player development and management of assets. I just read Millponds’ post and I think that’s the point he’s making. Certainly easier in theory than in practice and necessitates deft management. Good discussion with you guys (I believe I’ve said that before). Haven’t enjoyed writing this much since university.

Last edited:
Reactions: Millpond

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
Let's hope Suzuki and Phillips have a good World Juniors, and leave injury free, so that their value is higher than ever. Phillips' value can probably improve the most because his regular season stats are lower than what we expected from him as a 19 yr old Dman.
Wait and see...in the meantime, GO CANADA!!

Reactions: BrunoDaBear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->