Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It must be awfully frustrating for a really good team to likely be better for selling. You’d like to be in a similar position as Kingston was, which is to say the season was a write off whether they sold or not.

Those of us who closely follow the team understand why selling assets is a must do this season.

The boys showed how they can pull together , missing some key guys in Ottawa.

They could do a small sellout, , regain much needed draft picks, and hopefully a couple bluechip rookies, and still make the playoffs this season .

Reactions: OS Fan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Those of us who closely follow the team understand why selling assets is a must do this season.

They could do a small sellout, , regain much needed draft picks, and hopefully a couple bluechip rookies, and still make the playoffs this season .
Of course I completely agree. That’s how I see their situation as well. It’s just it has to be a little dissapointing considering how competitive the team is. Just an observation.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018

Theres a good nucleus of youngsters there and with the right adds they will make the playoffs this year and be competitive next year. Sit pat and they're in trouble. DD knows that and has known the inevitability since the beginning of the season. I'm quite sure they're happy with the position they're in under the circumstances.

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
Other team posters, don't get us Attack fans wrong, we wish we didn't have to sell. We wish that with Suzuki and Philips as 19 year olds we'd be going for a championship. I don't think I'd be incorrect to say that if we had Raaymakers, we'd be in a buying situation this year. Look at the tending MacLean has given in December - he's playing like a top goalie in the league right now (like Raaymakers), making amazing saves, bailing out his teammates. If the Attack had that all year they'd be 10 points higher in the standings!
But it's a massive risk to go all-in when the draft cupboard is already empty and to trade away good young players for older players means the future will get even worse.
The team showed this week that they can pull together and play good hockey without 3 of their top 6 players. There's no doubt they'll make the playoffs this year. Even if they sell a few key players I'd be surprised if they finish worse than 5th. Guys like Pearson, Dudas and Lyle will step up.
Personally I'd be floored if the 67's aren't after Durzi. They need a right shot D (they have none) and their PP is 13th in the league and that's the key element he adds.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Other team posters, don't get us Attack fans wrong, we wish we didn't have to sell. We wish that with Suzuki and Philips as 19 year olds we'd be going for a championship. I don't think I'd be incorrect to say that if we had Raaymakers, we'd be in a buying situation this year. Look at the tending MacLean has given in December - he's playing like a top goalie in the league right now (like Raaymakers), making amazing saves, bailing out his teammates. If the Attack had that all year they'd be 10 points higher in the standings!
But it's a massive risk to go all-in when the draft cupboard is already empty and to trade away good young players for older players means the future will get even worse.
The team showed this week that they can pull together and play good hockey without 3 of their top 6 players. There's no doubt they'll make the playoffs this year. Even if they sell a few key players I'd be surprised if they finish worse than 5th. Guys like Pearson, Dudas and Lyle will step up.
Personally I'd be floored if the 67's aren't after Durzi. They need a right shot D (they have none) and their PP is 13th in the league and that's the key element he adds.
I think most of us fully understand your situation. You guys are knowledgeable enough about junior hockey to recognize its’ cyclical nature and come to terms with it. I doubt your attendance would plummet too much if a rebuild of sorts were to happen? Certainly not all teams’ fan base do. Look at the stand in Erie, Hamilton, North Bay etc. Lots of broken ankles from jumping off the bandwagon. Sudbury was an exception because we were in a perpetual black hole of a rebuild. Eventually, only the most ardent fans will remain if no plan or progress is in sight.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think most of us fully understand your situation. You guys are knowledgeable enough about junior hockey to recognize its’ cyclical nature and come to terms with it. I doubt your attendance would plummet too much if a rebuild of sorts were to happen? Certainly not all teams’ fan base do. Look at the stand in Erie, Hamilton, North Bay etc. Lots of broken ankles from jumping off the bandwagon. Sudbury was an exception because we were in a perpetual black hole of a rebuild. Eventually, only the most ardent fans will remain if no plan or progress is in sight.

OS is a market that we the fans like very few markets in the league live and breathe the game no matter where the team sits in the standings.

Attendance has been steady the last few seasons at the Bayshore that is true. But like all other teams in the league success will always bring the fans out.

This league is and will always have teams that attendance rises and dips based upon their success and development year.

Owen Sound's model has always been stay competitive in the conference and when teams like London are rebuilding try and go for banners.

Planning to rebuild has been a somewhat of a distant thought for the fans since the championship season in 2011 but with limited options coming down the line it maybe getting closer to have OS pay the piper for 7 years of consistency in competitiveness. However for the moment that ideal of selling off is something that is still a far distance though at the moment

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
OS is a market that we the fans like very few markets in the league live and breathe the game no matter where the team sits in the standings.

Attendance has been steady the last few seasons at the Bayshore that is true. But like all other teams in the league success will always bring the fans out.

This league is and will always have teams that attendance rises and dips based upon their success and development year.

Owen Sound's model has always been stay competitive in the conference and when teams like London are rebuilding try and go for banners.

Planning to rebuild has been a somewhat of a distant thought for the fans since the championship season in 2011 but with limited options coming down the line it maybe getting closer to have OS pay the piper for 7 years of consistency in competitiveness. However for the moment that ideal of selling off is something that is still a far distance though at the moment
I hear you on the body of your post but the decision to sell or not can’t be a distant thought with the deadline less than month away and fast approaching.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
To me the decision was made and should of been made a few weeks ago if not months ago. The bright side is the team we have been watching for the past few games that happens to be on the winning streak may not be far off of what most of the lineup will be come January 10th the only real difference might be adding 1 or 2 young guys and subtracting Durzi and or Hancock. Personally I am excited for it. If the last 2 weeks is any indication we could still be ok for atleast a few playoff games. I would also be ok with selling off Guzda I dont like having two goalies the same age when trying to develop them and Mclean has been lights out lately. Staggered in age would be preferred. Hearing rumblings this morning that Phillips may actually already be traded just hasnt been announced yet until he gets back. If so good luck to him. I didnt feel Gill used him to his abilities while here he is a heck of a good player. I am on the fence as to a full scale tear down or partial tear down. A full scale one brings higher rated picks in the summer if we drop far enough in the standings but if we can get a few decent young guys our rebuild process can be shortened and we can be back in the hunt in about 2 -3 years . Only time will tell.

Last edited:

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Noof, great post! I agree with you about Phillips, I have stated this a while ago. Phillips to me is the consummate professional both on and off the ice and IMO Gill has not showed the same trust in his game that coach McGill did a couple of seasons back. I also agree on moving Guzda, we now have a clear vision as to whom our number one guy will be moving forward. McLean has really stepped up and took the "bull by the horns" making it hard to dispute which of these two guys deserves to run with it. I've actually looked at a possible trade partner for such a move. I know the trade partner might not be a perfect match but the team I am proposing does need a younger goalie to try to develop into "their guy". So here it goes, tell me what you think...

To Kitchener; 01/G - Guzda + MIS 5'th/20
To Owen Sound; 00/G - Pfeil + WSR 2'nd/23 + MIS 3'rd/20 + MIS 4'th/20

Reactions: Noofgoof

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Believe me, you don’t want to be part of a long rebuild. It’s soul sucking.

Wasn't the long rebuild due to bad ownership? Understood that the owners son was given a prominent role on the ice when he was not capable of playing on any team in the league. Coaches quit, Scouts quit, GM quit. Due to all of the off ice issues, no one would report or work for the Wolves. 2015 1st overall, 2016 2nd overall turned into exercise in who will report? Ownership eventually had to sell and team now is headed in right direction. Very different scenario than OS. Wolves lived through more of a Flint like experience didn't they? Understood the current Flint GM was also in that role in Sud at that time. It appears that the downfall actually started with trading away veteran talent like Baptiste, Jenys, Pancel for younger players and picks that never worked out.

Situations are not comparable. Sudbury example is a cautionary tale about trading away known talent for picks and players. It would have been much easier if you were able to experience the top of the cycle. Was it the rebuild that was soul sucking or the disfunction and overall situation?

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
McLean has been lights out but remember he's a rookie and teams havent got a book on him yet. Not sure if it's fair to him to heap all of the responsiblity on him this early. I would keep both keepers because they will push each other for the #1 spot. More so than a veteran coming in and taking over the #1 spot pushing McLean to the back up role. Not fair to him with all hes accomplished. With the way hes playing right now I would think teams would be after him and not Guzda.

I say the 2 goalies are untouchable. You've got plenty of other chips to play.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
What about a deal sending Bourque Guzda and the rights to Barnes our 2nd rounder this year to the Knights for Raaymakers and one of their younger Dmen or forwards.. then flipping Phillips for some picks and maybe 1-2 other guys for some picks and running with the team.. that would for sure still keep us a good team give McLean one of the leagues best to work with and learn from while still so young.. You can subtract Bourques D because you make it up by having a stronger more elite goaltending.. I know no one likes to deal with London but I see it a viable option.. Just not sure they go for it due to the their hopes at the league this year but by rights they are a year away in all honesty.. Its just that they are still the best in the west even though they will be much better next year.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

“Bodies” are good to I think everyone looks to get Draft Picks but a kid with 40 games experience in the OHL can be a huge asset immediately!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Other team posters, don't get us Attack fans wrong, we wish we didn't have to sell. We wish that with Suzuki and Philips as 19 year olds we'd be going for a championship.

This is the part of the OHL I kinda hate although it’s exciting. But when you have to trade away a kid like Suzuki who you have watched mature from potentially a top talent to playing on this year’s WJC Canada Team sucks. We had to do it in London last year and if you don’t do it you will be in trouble. It’s part of being competitive for many years rather than going from the top to the bottom to the top to the bottom etc. Oh well.......such is life!

Reactions: OSMike and OS Fan

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
To be fair to Owen Sound's management, their GM works in a completely different work environment than Mark Hunter. Being also an owner, provides Mark Hunter with more job security than a competing GM who works under a contract. Those risks he takes will never result in his contract being terminated, so that alone gives him the advantage of knowing a single bad decision won't have an impact on his contract being renewed.
The revenue cushion that London also enjoys provides a significant advantage. When a sell-off is deemed to be necessary, there's little worry that the team's drop in the standings, or a first round playoff exit will adversly affect the team's revenue or attendance.
Prior to the Hunter's acquisition of the Knights, Mark was with the Sarnia Sting, but not in an ownership capacity. He had the mantle of financial accountability and just possibly that may have had a significant influence on his performance there. While with the Sting, his performance was probably adequate, but certainly not spectacular.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I can see the Guzda camp (player, parents, agent) wanting out after the season if he is not moved beforehand. He was the teams rookie of the year last year and DD put him on quite the pedestal when talked about in the press. I'm sure losing the #1 status to MacLean is eating him up inside. If MacLean really is "the guy" then he will need to see more of the net moving forward this year to build off of his outstanding month of December. Tough situation to develop two goalies (that have both showed potential) of the same age. I think there is more worth to Guzda's trade value now before he ever might ask to be moved. Just a thought looking into the future.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Noof, great post! I agree with you about Phillips, I have stated this a while ago. Phillips to me is the consummate professional both on and off the ice and IMO Gill has not showed the same trust in his game that coach McGill did a couple of seasons back. I also agree on moving Guzda, we now have a clear vision as to whom our number one guy will be moving forward. McLean has really stepped up and took the "bull by the horns" making it hard to dispute which of these two guys deserves to run with it. I've actually looked at a possible trade partner for such a move. I know the trade partner might not be a perfect match but the team I am proposing does need a younger goalie to try to develop into "their guy". So here it goes, tell me what you think...

To Kitchener; 01/G - Guzda + MIS 5'th/20
To Owen Sound; 00/G - Pfeil + WSR 2'nd/23 + MIS 3'rd/20 + MIS 4'th/20
Guzda wouldn’t fetch anything less then a 5th round pick.. def not getting a 2nd and 3rd for him

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
I can see the Guzda camp (player, parents, agent) wanting out after the season if he is not moved beforehand. He was the teams rookie of the year last year and DD put him on quite the pedestal when talked about in the press. I'm sure losing the #1 status to MacLean is eating him up inside. If MacLean really is "the guy" then he will need to see more of the net moving forward this year to build off of his outstanding month of December. Tough situation to develop two goalies (that have both showed potential) of the same age. I think there is more worth to Guzda's trade value now before he ever might ask to be moved. Just a thought looking into the future.
McLean will have his good and bad nights. Guzda will get his chance to earn the 1A spot back. Right now they're 1A and 1B.

Love what McLean has done so far but its still too soon

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Guzda wouldn’t fetch anything less then a 5th round pick.. def not getting a 2nd and 3rd for him

What? Some team would definitely pay that price for a player with his upside. Goaltending is at a premium.

I'm firmly in the don't move either goalie camp, mind you. The competition is good for both of them and it's pushing MacLean to new levels. That could be Guzda in a few months.

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
What? Some team would definitely pay that price for a player with his upside. Goaltending is at a premium.

I'm firmly in the don't move either goalie camp, mind you. The competition is good for both of them and it's pushing MacLean to new levels. That could be Guzda in a few months.

Exactly. Just because Guzda has struggled in the early going doesn't mean he's going to struggle all year. I don't see why any team would pay a huge amount for a 17 yr old goalie. He has more of any opportunity in OS to play more and recapture the starting role than another team where he's guaranteed to be backup.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Goalies get hot and cold. We don't know yet if McLean is the real deal. He's had a good stretch here but hes just a rookie. Let's be patient. There is no need to jump the gun and trade either of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad