Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Despite winning against the Knights, I don't think we could beat them in a 7 game series with everything on the line .

Then looking forward, there's huge holes in the draft cupboard for 3 years.

Despite the excitement the team brings at home, they have yet to have a winning record on the road, and almost half a season in .

I'd love nothing more than to see 3 or more playoff rounds before this group disband .

However...

Sooner or later, the mgmt must accept the way to do business is the buy and sell cycle all others are following .

I think many hard core fans are prepared .

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Right I forgot thats how the series went thanks for the reminder/clarification... however still not a series win.. controversy or not ... dont get me wrong I do feel he is and was one of the best in the league but when it comes to winning a mem cup he won the tourny...not the league.
The key here is they won the tournament. People need to separate the 2 winning the league Championship and winning the MEMORIAL Cup are 2 different things. The CHL has looked at different formats but the current one works best overall. Remember the business side has to turn a profit. They need to pick the host team well in advance to organize everything. More often than not the host team is competitive and hey they one the tournament. No matter how they did the tournament the Championship is awarded on the one game so the best team won't always win sometimes it will be the lucky team.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The key here is they won the tournament. People need to separate the 2 winning the league Championship and winning the MEMORIAL Cup are 2 different things. The CHL has looked at different formats but the current one works best overall. Remember the business side has to turn a profit. They need to pick the host team well in advance to organize everything. More often than not the host team is competitive and hey they one the tournament. No matter how they did the tournament the Championship is awarded on the one game so the best team won't always win sometimes it will be the lucky team.
Here's a post I made a few years ago...... I have increased my salary demands

First off let me preface this by saying that I understand the league in it's present state will never,ever go for any of the ideas I am about to post. These are simply my ideas to bring Junior Hockey back to it's grass roots, ensure for better competition in, and a fair way of choosing the host for the Memorial Cup and ensuring any hint of bias is removed from day to day decisions..

So without further ado.. If elected CHL Commissioner:

1) The Memorial Cup format would be as follows: The three league champs get in PLUS the winner from the previous year which would be the host team. Hosts teams do not necessarily need to use their home arena and they would have until November 30th to submit their plan. If they don't feel they can successfully host then the right goes to the team that loses in the final. So all participating teams in the previous years cup would be wise to prepare their plans... YES this means it does not move around from league to league every year and it puts the onus on teams to be successful. In order for the Host team to PLAY in the Memorial Cup they must at least get to their respective conference finals.. so if you miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first two rounds .. yer out! At which point the loser of the league final gets in. Ticket packages do not go on sale for anyone until the Conference finalists have been decided. Again teams would be wise to have the correct infrastructure in place to deal with the ticket demand once the Conference Finals start

2) I would remove the financial guarantee Junior Clubs are expected to make.. but this format would return the memorial Cup to the grass roots of hockey.. thereby making it even MORE popular and growing the game

3) I would ensure that there was a separate commissioner for each CHL league.. removing any conflict of interest of having the CHL commissioner also overseeing one of its member leagues

4)I would also develop a competition committee made up of former players/officials/coaches to work in conjunction with the NHL and oversee prospective rules changes. These changes would mean that ALL leagues play under the SAME rules

5)As well there will be 1 disciplinary committee also made up of former players/officials/coaches that will oversee the discipline and hand down suspensions/fines for ALL three leagues.

6)ALL officials will be full time and be required to complete a rigorous training program in conjunction with the NHL officials. All officials will be paid as full time employees at a rate slightly lower than the starting NHL official.

7)My desired Salary is $80,000 per year plus travel allowance for my wife & I

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Here's a post I made a few years ago...... I have increased my salary demands

First off let me preface this by saying that I understand the league in it's present state will never,ever go for any of the ideas I am about to post. These are simply my ideas to bring Junior Hockey back to it's grass roots, ensure for better competition in, and a fair way of choosing the host for the Memorial Cup and ensuring any hint of bias is removed from day to day decisions..

So without further ado.. If elected CHL Commissioner:

1) The Memorial Cup format would be as follows: The three league champs get in PLUS the winner from the previous year which would be the host team. Hosts teams do not necessarily need to use their home arena and they would have until November 30th to submit their plan. If they don't feel they can successfully host then the right goes to the team that loses in the final. So all participating teams in the previous years cup would be wise to prepare their plans... YES this means it does not move around from league to league every year and it puts the onus on teams to be successful. In order for the Host team to PLAY in the Memorial Cup they must at least get to their respective conference finals.. so if you miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first two rounds .. yer out! At which point the loser of the league final gets in. Ticket packages do not go on sale for anyone until the Conference finalists have been decided. Again teams would be wise to have the correct infrastructure in place to deal with the ticket demand once the Conference Finals start

2) I would remove the financial guarantee Junior Clubs are expected to make.. but this format would return the memorial Cup to the grass roots of hockey.. thereby making it even MORE popular and growing the game

3) I would ensure that there was a separate commissioner for each CHL league.. removing any conflict of interest of having the CHL commissioner also overseeing one of its member leagues

4)I would also develop a competition committee made up of former players/officials/coaches to work in conjunction with the NHL and oversee prospective rules changes. These changes would mean that ALL leagues play under the SAME rules

5)As well there will be 1 disciplinary committee also made up of former players/officials/coaches that will oversee the discipline and hand down suspensions/fines for ALL three leagues.

6)ALL officials will be full time and be required to complete a rigorous training program in conjunction with the NHL officials. All officials will be paid as full time employees at a rate slightly lower than the starting NHL official.

7)My desired Salary is $80,000 per year plus travel allowance for my wife & I
I am all for item #4!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Despite winning against the Knights, I don't think we could beat them in a 7 game series with everything on the line .

Despite the excitement the team brings at home, they have yet to have a winning record on the road, and almost half a season in .

I'd love nothing more than to see 3 or more playoff rounds before this group disband .

However...

Sooner or later, the mgmt must accept the way to do business is the buy and sell cycle all others are following .

Agree - first thing I thought of Saturday was how much this win would influence any decisions that OS management would make RE - selling or standing pat. I'm all for you guys standing pat as that takes OS out of the equation for the next few years ;), but I hope smarter minds are at work in OS.

Reactions: OS Fan

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002

However...

I thinks so, too.

It was a great game for sure. AM played very, very well overall. Both teams played a trap game. I thought the Knights lost the game in the first 5 mins of the 2nd; they seemed flat and off their game, like they didn't come out to play after the intermission. E.g., Attack's third goal, Robertson was allowed to skate the puck up the middle of the ice unchallenged from our D zone into London's zone, then dished off to Pearson who managed to score from a bad-ish angle (I think Kooy would like to have that one back). Credit our guys for capitalizing on London's mistakes for sure. We capitalized on their mistakes, while limiting quality scoring chances against and getting solid goaltending. Taking away the first 5 mins of the 2nd, though, the outcome could have been different. I wouldn't count on London making that mistake 4 times out of 7.

Other thoughts. Really liked seeing Seed handle the puck out there in the D zone. Noticed him confidently able to skate the puck out of danger under pressure. Russell is getting lots of opportunities out there; will be interesting to see him in the second half, no better time to step up production-wise than in Suzuki's WJC absence. Roberts with goals in 3 straight games...at this point I'd reserve an OA spot for him next year for sure.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Standing pat or trading to make a run have never been options for this season.

Why can't people understand that with the available draft picks, the number of players not returning next season and the lack of depth is nothing new. It has been the issue since the end of last season.

Trade the players not returning next year for warm bodies and picks with the exception of Kevin Hancock who is a leader that with the right players coming back in trades could get the Attack through at least one round of the playoffs and set them up for a good team next season and a possible run 2 or 3 years down the road. If you stand pat or go for it you're f....ked

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Is it just me or is Russell a huge bust? His second year and he hasn’t even scored a „normal“ goal.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Is it just me or is Russell a huge bust? His second year and he hasn’t even scored a „normal“ goal.

I mean, he's a late 1st Rounder, and every year a few of the guys drafted in that range never take the next step and are just okay OHLers.

He's an OHL level player at least (he's no Payton Liske). It's just obvious from his skating that he's not an NHL propsect at this point. He could still become a valuable contributor down the line like Szypula was. Szypula was a way bigger tease for a few seasons until he found his role at this level.

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

I wouldn't say Russell has been a bust he was a late 1st round pick. Generally speaking when you select a bottom 10 in the draft you have to get more creative with your pick.

MR is a steady depth forward in this league on any team.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
It's a little funny looking at the responses about a 1'st round 20'th pick but we are all supposed to be so excited about getting a few 2'nd round picks for our top players in upcoming deals? Some of the 2'nd round picks we will be getting in return for our top guys may be #37, #38,#39,#40 selections. Let's hope our scouting staff has some better luck picking a few productive players moving forward!

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
It's a little funny looking at the responses about a 1'st round 20'th pick but we are all supposed to be so excited about getting a few 2'nd round picks for our top players in upcoming deals? Some of the 2'nd round picks we will be getting in return for our top guys may be #37, #38,#39,#40 selections. Let's hope our scouting staff has some better luck picking a few productive players moving forward!

The Attack have a pretty... uh... mixed record with 2nd round picks since Dale has been in charge (when we've even had them). And your point stands, but the fact is that every year impact players come out of the 2nd round, as they either leaped past their peers or may have been overlooked compared to a more polished 1st rounder that stagnates. Notable 2nd round picks under this GM are Binnington (a pick acquired from the Lane Macdermid trade), and Jonah Gadjovich. Both those years we had multiple second round picks and the other ones were busts or non-reporters.

More importantly, the 2nd Round picks are the league's trade currency. And if Ottawa can send us a couple 2nd round picks for 2019, that's a huge start.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I guess my concern is that if we look back only as recent as the 99 draft, OS drafted the two next "best" prospects in Phillips and Suzuki, and look how well that turned out.
In 00 OS drafted the "next best prospect" in Dudas then went off the board with selecting Beamish and Doherty higher than they were rated.
Something changed even more in the 01 and 02 drafts. All of a sudden the Attack picked on a hunch or more of a "hidden gem" thought, getting away from the reported "next best talent". Look at Russell and Chibricov (not one other team had him rated as a 2'nd rounder). In the 02 draft, OS may have been the only team to have Seed and Barnes rated as highly as they did. Look at the end result now, other highly touted selections were picked with more production with other teams in the league. Again, I know 2'nd picks are valuable but the scouting staff needs to get those picks "right" more often than not in order to reap the benefits down the road.
Interesting times for sure for the Attack organization. DD can really make a few bold moves in the upcoming few weeks.

Last edited:

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Neither agree that he is nor disagree.

I see people saying he is a serviceable OHL player but you don't draft Serviceable OHL players with your 1st round pick. You draft the BPA and I don't believe for a second that he was truly the BPA.

And I am not placing blame on young Russell either. He may turn into something.

I am putting this on the scouting and management. Not sure anyone has taken a look but the last 3 drafts haven't been very good.

Think scouting is an area we really need this team to evaluate in the off season because having a 4th lackluster draft in a row is not an ideal situation heading into a rebuild.

Reactions: OSMike

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
A Tuesday home game thought you played mid week home games on Wednesday.

Typically we do play the bulk of the midweek games on Wednesday however do to the time in the season and the opponent it hasn't been uncommon to play the odd Tuesday game against a divisional or cross-conference opponent in the case of Barrie.

For the past few seasons the Attack would always play kitchener in a rare Tuesday showdown around this time of the season, however it's also to note that the Attack have played a number of rescheduled games that were affected by weather during this time of the year that have ended up falling on Tuesday nights.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Good news....Fred Wallace reporting that reliable source says Durzi will be in the line-up tonight against Guelph for Durzi bobblehead night. Looking for a good effort from boys to keep the momentum rolling into the road trip this weekend.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Game was more wide open then the score showed tonight.

AM, has shown he has what it takes to be a starter in this league and come up with big saves when he needs to. Good to see SD back on the blueline after being sidelined for so long.

The Storm's undoing came from both the bench and RM. Have to give our guys credit they didn't get sucked into too many emotional calls tonight and showed that if they can stay consistent with their play they can open up a game and pull ahead of there opponents.

Now onto the sights of Kingston and Ottawa before the Xmas break, the road games haven't been as kind to the guys as they were last season. It seems line matching is more critical than it seems with the team this season.

At home against any opponent we can turn the table in our favor and get the 2 points, however on the road has been a whole different ball of string for the team to untangle.

Last edited:

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Owen Sound beats Guelph tonight and is now 3rd place in the West. They obviously can't catch London but I really do think if they add a bit they could fight for that 3rd seed in the West with Guelph/Saginaw. They have a couple 2nds/3rds they could use as trade bait and/or use Russell/Seed/Guzda to go get a big goalie (Villalta?) and elite F. To me this has always been just as likely as OS selling because of DeGray and his unwillingness to throw in the towel

Noticed this post on a different thread. Interesting to note what other teams posters think about the goings on here in Attackland. This Attack team is surely making a statement IMO to want to make one more solid run...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->