Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Couldn't agree more on Gill. I don't see him as a coach who is able to get buy in from his players (at least not with any consistency). The guys look disinterested out there. I'd love to see a new HC too, but I can't see DD canning an old Leafs buddy (though Gilmour did it to Gill in Kingston).

His hand may be forced at some point .

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018

Guzda runs hot and cold . Feel sorry for the kid, the 'plan' for him has been to mentor himself....

When he's good, he has been very good, even going a stretch of 7 wins in 9 tries. To begin he went 2 for 7, and lately 2 for 7. He needs to get his consistentcy going .

MacLean seems to have leapfrogged him, I would expect him to get the next 2 starts.

The boys may have knowledge of pending movement, that can be unsettling.

Tonight's roster , swapping Mcmaster for Russell, and Guzda for MacLean is the same one who handed Ottawa their 2nd home loss of the season two weeks ago.....

I think this performance must have cemented DeGray's assessment .

No guarantee of big returns, with many teams hedging on selling big assets.

This will be an interesting, if not unsettling time for us fans.

I have a feeling the next few months will be a sample of the next few years.

Looking for the bandwagon to pull up to the curb.....
I disagree. If DD gets who he wants we will be in the playoffs this year and next. I'm encouraged

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I disagree. If DD gets who he wants we will be in the playoffs this year and next. I'm encouraged

I agree. That said, making the playoffs isn’t some major achievement. First round fodder isn’t very fun for a fan.

I do think if they get a 1st rounder in a deal for Suzuki it will definitly help without a doubt. Unfortunately, I don’t see much else on the roster netting anything other than draft picks this year. Phillips could net a decent return as well but I doubt a 1st rounder. Probably a solid skater though plus picks.

I just can’t see DD pulling off four deals for Suzuki, Hancock, Durzi and Phillips. That is a lot to ask.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I agree. That said, making the playoffs isn’t some major achievement. First round fodder isn’t very fun for a fan.

I do think if they get a 1st rounder in a deal for Suzuki it will definitly help without a doubt. Unfortunately, I don’t see much else on the roster netting anything other than draft picks this year. Phillips could net a decent return as well but I doubt a 1st rounder. Probably a solid skater though plus picks.

I just can’t see DD pulling off four deals for Suzuki, Hancock, Durzi and Phillips. That is a lot to ask.

I don't think Hancock goes anywhere. I think once Nick is gone, he takes the C for the year and finishes out in OS.

I think Durzi and Phillips are gone for sure. If I am being honest and I love Durzi, but hes just going through the motions at this point. i think he knows he is gone if a full sale is happening

Reactions: Millpond and OS Fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think Hancock goes anywhere. I think once Nick is gone, he takes the C for the year and finishes out in OS.

I think Durzi and Phillips are gone for sure. If I am being honest and I love Durzi, but hes just going through the motions at this point. i think he knows he is gone if a full sale is happening

Agreed on all counts. If Suzuki can net the 1st rounder, I think he goes and Hancock stays unless a deal comes along and with all the other OA’s available, I can’t see one that knocks socks off coming.

The Phillips deal may be a tough one too. London is deep on the back end, Ottawa would probably be more interested in Durzi with an open OA spot. Niagara could use the help but they are running out of meaningful assets with the pending Studnicka deal. That leaves maybe a team like Saginaw or Guelph?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Given DD's track record of making soft trades at the deadline, wholesale unloading is not in his playbook .

I'll wait to see it before I believe it.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Big game tonight in the annual Barrie vs. Attack rivalry. This rivalry is always something that has been filled with lots of emotions between the Attack and Colts.

With the team not far from a home ice postseason scenario the hunt for home ice in March is still up for grabs. I still believe our team is looking forward to the future but can still make some noise in the first round coming down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pond Hockey

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
After last nights disastrous events you'd have to think that the team is sending a message to the management on how they truly feel about the bench boss this year.

I'm no expert on coaching in this league but the real question I truly have is

What Is TG's gameplan this year and has he dropped the ball on preaching his message or has this team checked out on him?

More questions then answers these days???
I think you raise some good points.

Last night's team performance was comparable to the season opener in Barrie. First game of the season, and then first game of the second half...and nobody shows up to play?? There's been stretches of generally poor play with some stretches of pretty good play, too. After the very strong second half of last season, I'm surprised to see such inconsistent play so far this season...no momentum with this core veteran group has carried over from last year. Seems to be a disconnect between the HC and the players.

I found it interesting that the team went on that 5-0 run after Letang and Hill stood up for Doherty and were livid with the refs after a marginal penalty call in Niagara (which Letang was suspended for). That type of arguing calls and standing up for your players is something I don't see from Gill.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
I don't understand why you guys are so down on the coach...The team wins 5 in a row before Christmas,takes a week off and the 1st game back is a bit of a stinker....He's lost 34 games in regulation out of the 102 he's coached and won 7 out of 11 playoff games including sweeping London last year...All with mediocre goaltending....I think he is doing a decent job.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Seeing rumours of an Oshawa-Niagara deal with Studnicka going to the IceDogs. If true, looks like Oshawa are not buyers this year.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
I don't understand why you guys are so down on the coach...The team wins 5 in a row before Christmas,takes a week off and the 1st game back is a bit of a stinker....He's lost 34 games in regulation out of the 102 he's coached and won 7 out of 11 playoff games including sweeping London last year...All with mediocre goaltending....I think he is doing a decent job.
Gill is no McGill when it comes to player discipline. The previous bench boss made players accountable for mistakes. McGill was really hard on the players but all of his players earned their ice. It's all too loose in Owen Sound now. There's no accountability for poor play. Player excitement both on the ice and at the bench just isn't there anymore with Gill as coach. Something needs to be done.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
Seeing rumours of an Oshawa-Niagara deal with Studnicka going to the IceDogs. If true, looks like Oshawa are not buyers this year.
And add the name Brassard with Studnicka. The Gens are definitely in rebuild mode. We should do the same in OS. Time is running out to get the return we deserve for guys like Suzuki, Durzi and Phillips.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
And add the name Brassard with Studnicka. The Gens are definitely in rebuild mode. We should do the same in OS. Time is running out to get the return we deserve for guys like Suzuki, Durzi and Phillips.
I believe a deal or two is done and if that's the case then Suzuki and Phillips are on their way out. Otherwise DD would have announced it. If any other Attack players are involved in a Suzuki/Phillips scenario it cant be announced until after the WJC. So we may have to wait.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
I think you raise some good points.

Last night's team performance was comparable to the season opener in Barrie. First game of the season, and then first game of the second half...and nobody shows up to play?? There's been stretches of generally poor play with some stretches of pretty good play, too. After the very strong second half of last season, I'm surprised to see such inconsistent play so far this season...no momentum with this core veteran group has carried over from last year. Seems to be a disconnect between the HC and the players.

I found it interesting that the team went on that 5-0 run after Letang and Hill stood up for Doherty and were livid with the refs after a marginal penalty call in Niagara (which Letang was suspended for). That type of arguing calls and standing up for your players is something I don't see from Gill.
Totally agree. I was part of the broadcast crew for game 1 in Barrie and painfully obvious I was the only Attack fan in the control room.

Last edited:

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I agree about selling. Too bad the Gens aren't buyers after they were projected as a contender this year, now there's one less team buying while even more players hit the market.

Last edited:

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
As much I will hate to see some of our big names leave, it is time. This is the year to deal. But let's deal them to an eastern contender, not London! PLEASE DD!!

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The next couple weeks are going to be tough for us fans.

Selling off is something that hasn't happened since DeGray arrived over a decade ago.

We've had something to look forward to in the second half, sometimes more than others.

With a selloff, there could be a lot of nights like the last two

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This team has been one giant rubix cube this season. Every time we the fans get closer to finding the light at the end of the tunnel in the season the team has a puzzling few games.

The past two games against Sarnia and Kitchener would be a good example of that, as everytime we look to be turning the corner the team seems stumble in key points of games.

With the trade deadline right around the corner it would seem that tension is like a fog rolling in off of the Bay and what could be the team for the remainder of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->