Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Lots of sitting and waiting to see what's brewing in the deal front.

I think we can agree who will be the team in this change of personal, the real question will be if there will be any extra changing hands.

Picks or additional players could be or not be in the cards. Although until the deal is officially announced deals are like juggling hockey pucks in the dark there's lots of options but until the puck hits the ice no one knows what will happen.

Deals are the same there's always a lot of options for each team but until there's confirmation by either team you can juggle names around every week up until the trade-deadline day passes

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Owen Sound Attack-Battalion Deal News Centre News

Russell for McMaster official, interview with Dale DeGray if you follow the link.

Love this deal. McMaster is a nice boost to the team today, and is the classic 2.5 year player Dale loves to acquire. I have mixed feelings about Russell. Has an intriguing skill set, but for me until that skating stride gets up to snuff with the modern game, his offence will be held back. If he fixes that, we could definitely be the losers of this trade.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Sounds like Mcmaster may be Dudas new wingman .

DeGray's cryptic trade talk leads me to believe this may be the top line Jan 12.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Reminds me of the Beamish-Robinson deal last year...a one-for-one trade where we get back a player one year older than the one going the other way.

Owen Sound Attack-Battalion Deal News Centre News

Russell for McMaster official, interview with Dale DeGray if you follow the link.

Love this deal. McMaster is a nice boost to the team today, and is the classic 2.5 year player Dale loves to acquire. I have mixed feelings about Russell. Has an intriguing skill set, but for me until that skating stride gets up to snuff with the modern game, his offence will be held back. If he fixes that, we could definitely be the losers of this trade.
Totally agree with your take on the trade. Russell's speed and skating ability wasn't there (at least not yet). Always seemed a step behind in the offensive zone, just kind of following the play around and not really creating much. Was getting increased opportunities this year (2nd PP unit, also some ice time in OT), but the production didn't come. The defensive side of his game impressed me, he was solid defensively despite his young age and was by no means a defensive liability. Defensive awareness is probably his strongest attribute at this point. Will be interesting to see how he develops in NB, here's hoping the can round out the skating/offensive aspects of his game (in which case, yeah, NB might win this deal).

dabears14

Jan 11, 2018
Interesting interview by Fred. Sounds like DeGray may want to use the full two week window up until the Jan. 10th deadline to decide what direction this team needs to go. Was pretty tight lipped but truly does sound like there are a lot of options on the table. Will be an interesting deadline to say the least!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Interesting interview by Fred. Sounds like DeGray may want to use the full two week window up until the Jan. 10th deadline to decide what direction this team needs to go. Was pretty tight lipped but truly does sound like there are a lot of options on the table. Will be an interesting deadline to say the least!

I believe DeGray knows exactly which direction he is going, (or may already be gone).
He also knows every sneeze he makes is reported to the world in seconds.

He doesn't want to get into a trade war on HF or Twitter, so he's holding his cards close to his vest, as usual.

Not a bad strategy

Reactions: OS Fan

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
DD certainly sounds like he's still not convinced whether or not this team is going for it or standing pat.

Adding MacMaster will add a bit more maturity in the forward lines while giving Russell a fresh start with the Battalion.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
He knows where he's going. He said so in the statement that basically Russell didn't fit where the team is will be by the deadline. That was the tell tale statement right there.

Definitely selling

dabears14

Jan 11, 2018
He knows where he's going. He said so in the statement that basically Russell didn't fit where the team is will be by the deadline. That was the tell tale statement right there.

Definitely selling
How does the quote signify a sale is coming? Russell is a 2001 birthday - he would be the type of kid you would want to keep for a rebuild. I do agree that they need to rebuild for the next few years and sell their studs but don't understand your point of view.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
How does the quote signify a sale is coming? Russell is a 2001 birthday - he would be the type of kid you would want to keep for a rebuild. I do agree that they need to rebuild for the next few years and sell their studs but don't understand your point of view.
Sorry. Russell doesn't fit with plans moving forward and wasnt where he needed to be at this point and time. Someone a year older will help with the younger team they will have after the deadline.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017

Definitely selling
Totally agree. Upcoming draft Attack don't have a 2nd, 3rd & 4th round pick; 2020 no 2nd or 4th. DD definitely has to do something about that i.e. trade for picks. When he does that, McMaster will be able to slot into hole left by trade.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Next year is not a bad year to be short on picks. Draft is reported to be very weak.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Next year is not a bad year to be short on picks. Draft is reported to be very weak.

I don't put a lot of stock into that. It just means the depth is not there. Last year we had a lot of solid 2nd rounders that can contribute right away similar to the late 1st rounders in other years. It doesn't mean the players aren't in a position to develop like normal. 2nd and 3rd round players next year just won't make any sort of impact in year one. Maybe not much of an impact in year two,. But that doesnt' mean they will suck in year 3 and 4 which is when rebuilding teams will open their competitive window.

Reactions: SebJHockey

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
Sorry. Russell doesn't fit with plans moving forward and wasnt where he needed to be at this point and time. Someone a year older will help with the younger team they will have after the deadline.
I know it is just one game but Russell with an assist and goal in Sudbury tonight. Change is good for players that don't fit.

Reactions: Uncle

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
And the Attack with a piss poor effort in Sarnia, from the net on out. If I didn't know any better, I'd think this team has quit.

Waiting for the other shoe (s) to drop??

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The give a shhhhhhhhhh meter was at a low tonight

Ive said it before and ill say it again,

Todd gill is the worst active coach in the league and would love nothing more then to see DD kick his A** to the curb anytime now.

Team and city deserve better then him

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018

Todd gill is the worst active coach in the league and would love nothing more then to see DD kick his A** to the curb anytime now.

Totally agree on Gill. I said it when they hired him.

Looks like Groulx will be done for a few games. Slew foot in the 3rd.. not good

Reactions: Bear in the Woods

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002

Couldn't agree more on Gill. I don't see him as a coach who is able to get buy in from his players (at least not with any consistency). The guys look disinterested out there. I'd love to see a new HC too, but I can't see DD canning an old Leafs buddy (though Gilmour did it to Gill in Kingston).

Reactions: Bear in the Woods

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Guzda runs hot and cold . Feel sorry for the kid, the 'plan' for him has been to mentor himself....

When he's good, he has been very good, even going a stretch of 7 wins in 9 tries. To begin he went 2 for 7, and lately 2 for 7. He needs to get his consistentcy going .

MacLean seems to have leapfrogged him, I would expect him to get the next 2 starts.

The boys may have knowledge of pending movement, that can be unsettling.

Tonight's roster , swapping Mcmaster for Russell, and Guzda for MacLean is the same one who handed Ottawa their 2nd home loss of the season two weeks ago.....

I think this performance must have cemented DeGray's assessment .

No guarantee of big returns, with many teams hedging on selling big assets.

This will be an interesting, if not unsettling time for us fans.

I have a feeling the next few months will be a sample of the next few years.

Looking for the bandwagon to pull up to the curb.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad