Owen Power leaning towards returning to Michigan

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Jeez, it’s quite funny to see a lot of overreaction here. I always thought it was best that he returns back to school so he could develop one more year. I don’t believe it’s a prospect trying to avoid playing for a miserable team.

I am part of the old-school mentality of developing prospects. Not every single first overall pick has to jump into the NHL as soon as they sign their entry level contract. I really think certain prospects would have played better if they did a good solid year or two of seasoning in the minors before making the jump.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jeez, it’s quite funny to see a lot of overreaction here. I always thought it was best that he returns back to school so he could develop one more year. I don’t believe it’s a prospect trying to avoid playing for a miserable team.

I am part of the old-school mentality of developing prospects. Not every single first overall pick has to jump into the NHL as soon as they sign their entry level contract. I really think certain prospects would have played better if they did a good solid year or two of seasoning in the minors before making the jump.
He’s forgoing $1 million (or whatever he could get on his entry deal) to play in college next year. Plus, he’s risking an injury while trying to get drafted.

Buffalo is that pathetic that a player is willing to do all of this to avoid playing there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobble

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Can't say that I blame him.

Just as a giant F-U to Buffalo ownership, how long before he can re-enter the draft or sign as an FA somewhere else if he refuses to sign his ELC with Buffalo?

(I love you, Buffalo fans. I just hate that ownership group.)

He'd be a free agent would be 4 years after draft, now because he did D -1 in college I'm not sure how this would go. I'm guessing he'd have to play a year somewhere else after he graduates or play a 5th year in college.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People that say he would be happy to play for the Sabres...

remember Sam Reinhart? Jack Eichel? Rasmus Dahlin? What if Power talked to any of those guys and has serious reservations about playing for Buffalo and the Pegulas? Those were all "can't miss" prospects in the same situation as Power not long ago.

Sabres were less of a shit show then. When all those guys were drafted, they were just a team going through a rebuild. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Look at the last 6 months for example.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This has nothing him not signing in Buffalo. Most people would agree that after two Covid Seasons, he is better taking an extra year to develop. No fault in that. I highly doubt he has any intention whatsoever of staying at UM for 3 more years to avoid Buffalo taking him.

A others have said, he wasn't really affected by COVID. In 2020 he played only 13 less games than the year before and this year he played 26 games which is what, 10 less games than normal?

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
If Buffalo is a tire fire next year, the league may need to step in and offer advice to the terrible ownership.

The league has been offering advice to them and "league approved" companies tend to be the ones hired to compile the information on top candidates.. like Murray and Botterill. The Sabres haven't been making crazy hires. Blysma and Houseley were also both considered good candidates.

The only out there hire was Krueger as coach.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Are you saying you need to win the superbowl to be considered a winning team? If so your post makes sense, it wasn't the context I was using. The Bills have made the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years when only 12 teams make it out of 32. They also went to the AFC championship game last year and should be right back there this season as favorites in the AFC with the Chiefs. Players want to go to winning teams, and right now the Bills are just that and will be for the foreseeable future.

For further proof, Vegas odds to win superbowl this year. Bills are #3

NFL Futures: Pro Football Future & Super Bowl Betting Odds

Bills are due for a regression.

Patriots had a bunch of opt outs last year.

Dolphins were injured.

Bills had no big injuries.

I had to be the one to say it. But the Bills won't be going to the Title game again anytime soon.

The good news is the fans will still have tables to crash through though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I might’ve felt like that was a good call before the WCs but he looks more than NHL ready.

Not that there’s much to bargain on but could this be for reasons of contract negotiation or other reasons?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I might’ve felt like that was a good call before the WCs but he looks more than NHL ready.

Not that there’s much to bargain on but could this be for reasons of contract negotiation or other reasons?
Who is the Sabres HC? Power knows who is coaching at Michigan.
Plus he can join them at the end of the year and still burn a year off his elc but won’t accrue a year towards ufa.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
A others have said, he wasn't really affected by COVID. In 2020 he played only 13 less games than the year before and this year he played 26 games which is what, 10 less games than normal?

Well that's 23 games over 2 years, which isn't insignificant. The biggest impact is on the training/practice side, which was much different that a normal season. My old coach in college said the impact on that set players back significantly, especially this season.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
He’s forgoing $1 million (or whatever he could get on his entry deal) to play in college next year. Plus, he’s risking an injury while trying to get drafted.

Buffalo is that pathetic that a player is willing to do all of this to avoid playing there.
I don’t think you know how draft rights work.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018

How the hell do you have almost 9k posts on a board solely about hockey and miss so bad :help:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well that's 23 games over 2 years, which isn't insignificant. The biggest impact is on the training/practice side, which was much different that a normal season. My old coach in college said the impact on that set players back significantly, especially this season.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Michigan forced out of the NCAA Tourney because of COVID or am I confusing them with another team? If so that lost opportunity could be a big motivating factor to stick around for one more season.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
A lot of people in this thread are really confused about how draft rights work. As a Sabres fan, I hope we draft Power and I hope he goes back for another year to develop.

There is nothing wrong with slow cooking a prospect. He can sign with the Sabres after Michigan wins the Frozen Four next year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Power sounds like a smart kid. No reason whatsoever to rush him and chance harming his development.

Would be cool to see Power, Beniers and Johnson all return to Michigan for their sophomore season

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Power is going to be a Buffalo Sabre. Y'all just need to accept that. Now, it's entirely possible Buffalo screws with his development. You won't hear me argue to hard against that, but he will wear the blue and gold and, I for one- am ecstatic about that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Seems like a non-story to me.

He's very unlikely to step right into the NHL. He's just not that level of prospect at this time.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This thread in summary form:

tenor.gif

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He'll be drafted this year anyway. It may affect his first overall status, but I would wager that most NHL teams aren't banking on any players from this draft jumping right in anyway. I think its probably more that he recognizes he isn't ready to step into playing for a weak team and carry the load that a top prospect will be given to carry, so he wants to play in NCAA more to develop. If that's the case, it shows intelligence and sound judgement by the kid, and I hope it works out for him.

Although I do find the thought of the "God, I don't want to play in Buffalo, tell them I'm going back to NCAA so they pick someone else" to be amusing for some sadistic reason. I feel bad for finding it funny.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Power is going to be a Buffalo Sabre. Y'all just need to accept that. Now, it's entirely possible Buffalo screws with his development. You won't hear me argue to hard against that, but he will wear the blue and gold and, I for one- am ecstatic about that.

You think BUF is really going to sign him to play next season? Sounds like you agree that it would be best for him and BUF for him to stick in college for another season.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Non-story...and hugely benefits Buffalo in the long-run if they do end up selecting him 1st overall. Any development that can be done by another competent organization is one less thing for Buffalo to have to worry about screwing up.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
How is this being twisted out of all recognition? All the Mich guys should go back for a final year together, win the NCAA, and then see each other in the pros.

It'd be better for their careers, more fun than playing a year of COVID hockey, and an experience they'll always appreciate.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Non-story...and hugely benefits Buffalo in the long-run if they do end up selecting him 1st overall. Any development that can be done by another competent organization is one less thing for Buffalo to have to worry about screwing up.
It's only beneficial to Buffalo assuming he signs there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad