Player Discussion Owen Power, D (1st overall, 2021) Calder Finalist

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I wonder if he's (1) good enough to make the Olympic team and (2) would Michigan allow him to play?

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
At this point I will be angry if he signs and turns pro rather then one more year at Michigan. He doesn’t need to struggle through this season on a lacklustre Sabres team. Let him go be a part of a powerhouse, get the WJC experience and Frozen Four experience.

Agreed. There is no reason for him to be here yet. We have 6 NHL dmen and two lefty youngsters (Samuelsson/Bryson) already here pushing for spots.

I’m hopeful that the acquisitions of Pysyk, Butcher and Hagg are signs that they are not looking to rush any of the d-prospects to the NHL. Those three along with Dahlin, Joker and Miller gives them 6 dmen to start the season.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
He's Canadian unless I'm missing something. If there are NHL players then no, he wouldn't make either team.

Bleh, not sure what was on my brain to type "US Olympic team", I know he's Canadian. I was just curious as to how they will build the rosters for the Olympics and if they would include college players.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bleh, not sure what was on my brain to type "US Olympic team", I know he's Canadian. I was just curious as to how they will build the rosters for the Olympics and if they would include college players.
It's not decided if there will be NHLers yet afaik but there seems to be a strong chance. If not then I'm sure NCAA players will be on some teams.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
He could very well run PP2 in the long-term, assuming Dahlin keeps control of PP1.
This is the most often stated scenario, but I see them both being on the ice for it at the same time. If your best players are defensemen, you should have 2 out there on the PP.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is the most often stated scenario, but I see them both being on the ice for it at the same time. If your best players are defensemen, you should have 2 out there on the PP.

I think we have to see how things play out. Dahlin doesn't quite have the right kind of shot to be the main trigger man (right now, that's VO). No idea what Power's shot is like.

It's entirely possible that they'll both be on PP1 if Power's shot is a large asset.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Dahlin doesn't quite have the right kind of shot to be the main trigger man
He will have, have patience :)
Hedman also had a weak shot, he rarely used it because of this. Dahlin's shot is already OK, and he said he tried something new because ever since he could remember he shot the same way. He is the type of player that works through adversities and problems such as this.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
He knows he’s signing an ELC now or at the end of his college season and burning a year of it by playing a few games. Elite Players from Canada should start really do the college route everytime
He's lucky that with this years schedule having 3 weeks off in February that is possible but most schedules don't allow someone to play in the Frozen Four and still play regular season games to burn a ELC year. The regular season end and Frozen Four are usually about the same date. 2019 the Frozen Four was until April 13 and the NHL Regular season ended April 6.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Can't he play in Michigan this year, and when his season is done sign an ELC and play any remaining Amerk games and playoffs? That's a lot of good experience and development potential for one year. Then you can see where you are for 2022.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Can't he play in Michigan this year, and when his season is done sign an ELC and play any remaining Amerk games and playoffs? That's a lot of good experience and development potential for one year. Then you can see where you are for 2022.
Yes he can but the issue is how far they go in the NCAA in regards to how many games remain if it's worthwhile for the Sabres to burn a year of his ELC. Now that doesn't preclude him from signing a PTO for the Amerks

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Yes he can but the issue is how far they go in the NCAA in regards to how many games remain if it's worthwhile for the Sabres to burn a year of his ELC. Now that doesn't preclude him from signing a PTO for the Amerks
That's what I was thinking. We did this with someone else a few years back. It seem like an ideal solution. I definitely would not want to burn a year. So NCAA to AHL PTO, then sign the ELC in the offseason for the next season start in Rochester. Lets do it!

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad