Post-Game Talk: Ovi's Stanley Cup Champs visit SENS, Sat. 7:00pm (Xmas Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
BR was exceptional that run, you’re being disingenuous.

Does it really feel like EK isn’t getting enough praise that folks have to down play the contributions of others?

He was great but we almost won a f***ing cup okay lol.

Never has a team won a cup with a Bobby Ryan performance as it's second best player.

Never

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
But never has one player dragged a lottery team so close to the cup either.

Hmmmm not sure about that. Patty Roy has that distinction in my opinion, and of course we weren’t a lottery team.

Anyways, I feel like I have given EK appropriate praise for his role, using terms like ‘awesome’, ‘great’, and ‘best player on either team’ he just didn’t do it alone.

BR is always an easy target given how he has payed for most of his time here, but no one seems to want to touch on Andy. I mean EK was great, but Andy backstopped that so called lottery team, and defence isn’t exactly EKs focus or forté.

Consider again for a second that Andy is 4th ALL TIME in playoff save percentage. That’s pretty friggin noteworthy.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hmmmm not sure about that. Patty Roy has that distinction in my opinion, and of course we weren’t a lottery team.

Anyways, I feel like I have given EK appropriate praise for his role, using terms like ‘awesome’, ‘great’, and ‘best player on either team’ he just didn’t do it alone.

BR is always an easy target given how he has payed for most of his time here, but no one seems to want to touch on Andy. I mean EK was great, but Andy backstopped that lottery team, and defence isn’t exactly EKs focus or forté.

Consider again for a second that Andy is 4th ALL TIME in playoff save percentage. That’s pretty friggin noteworthy.

Andy was only really good in round 3, Brassard was only good in round 1, and most of our other forwards aside from JG Pageau and Ryan umderacheived. Seriously, almost every other forward should be embarrassed about their performance that post season.

To win a cup or come close you need like 5 forwards flirting with PPG and we did it with one. And it's not even like we had deep d core either lol.

Seriously that playoff by Karlsson was one for the ages, that team had no business being basically 1 goal away from the cup. The eye test showed it and the stats confirmed it.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Andy was only really good in round 3, Brassard was only good in round 1, and most of our other forwards aside from JG Pageau and Ryan umderacheived. Seriously, almost every other forward should be embarrassed about their performance that post season.

To win a cup or come close you need like 5 forwards flirting with PPG and we did it with one. And it's not even like we had deep d core either lol.

Seriously that playoff by Karlsson was one for the ages, that team had no business being basically 1 goal away from the cup. The eye test showed it and the stats confirmed it.

Disagree about Andy, agree about most forwards. Agree about EK, and feel that you’re not giving BR enough credit.

People liked to use our exceptionally easy path as an excuse as to why this team got that far, so I’m not sure we can at the same time give EK accolades as though we ran though a hard or even typical group of teams.

After just a quick look I noticed that Pittsburg didn’t have a single ppg player in the first of their recent cup wins; zero. In 2016 not a single player “flirted” with it, and in 2017 there were 2 players that did and 1 that was close. As an aside, Andy’s save percentage was a .922 compared to MAFs .924 (Murray had a crazy .937 for his games this year) and Murray’s .923 in their cup wins.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Disagree about Andy, agree about most forwards. Agree about EK, and feel that you’re not giving BR enough credit.

People liked to use our exceptionally easy path as an excuse as to why this team got that far, so I’m not sure we can at the same time give EK accolades as though we ran though a hard or even typical group of teams.

After just a quick look I noticed that Pittsburg didn’t have a single ppg player in the first of their recent cup wins; zero. In 2016 not a single player “flirted” with it, and in 2017 there were 2 players that did and 1 that was close. As an aside, Andy’s save percentage was a .922 compared to MAFs .924 (Murray had a crazy .937 for his games this year) and Murray’s .923 in their cup wins.
in 2016 they had like 6 players who were statistically close to Ryan in production. Kessel, Malkin, Crosby, Bonino were all flirting with PPG if we apply that description to Ryan.

and yea i agree that we had a fortunate path to the cup, bruins had tons of injuries and we matched up well against NYR who didn't have the skill feast on our lack of depth. but that team did take the penguins to the game 7 ot.

we should have won the cup that year if we had made any good trades. alex burrows was trash

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
BR was exceptional that run, you’re being disingenuous.

Does it really feel like EK isn’t getting enough praise that folks have to down play the contributions of others?

Exceptional for Bobby Ryan? Sure. Exceptional for a top 6 forward on a playoff team or a player making 7+ mil dollars? Come on now... that's some serious rose coloured glasses. But for all the good Ryan did playing somewhat close to earning his contract, it was offset by Stone and Turris under performing anyways.

You mentioned Anderson in another post; Anderson actually had a very uneven series against Boston, and was wasn't great against the NYR. It wasn't until the series against the Pens that he found his stride. This gets forgotten because people just go back and look at his sv% over the entire playoffs, but Andy was letting in some really questionable goals along the way.

It's also quite funny that you go on to talk about defense not being Karlsson's forté given the way he played that run, and the heaping praise he was receiving from analysts and media for his two way play. There is a reason why Karlsson got a Conn-Smyth vote despite being eliminated in the conference finals. You criticize others for diminishing the contributions of other players on the team, but that's exactly what you are doing with Karlsson. Easy target I guess now that he isn't on the team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
in 2016 they had like 6 players who were statistically close to Ryan in production. Kessel, Malkin, Crosby, Bonino were all flirting with PPG if we apply that description to Ryan.

and yea i agree that we had a fortunate path to the cup, bruins had tons of injuries and we matched up well against NYR who didn't have the skill feast on our lack of depth. but that team did take the penguins to the game 7 ot.

we should have won the cup that year if we had made any good trades. alex burrows was trash
Bruins had a ton of injuries and they still gave us a run for our money. In that playoff run shades of bouchers ugly side we’re starting to shine through. Intense sitting back, Andy playing lights out for half an hour and karlsson playing all world for the other half. Game 2 against the penguins to this day might be my least favorite game under Boucher to this day. The guy won game 1... has nothing to lose game 2 and we literally lined up 4 guys at our blue line for 60 minutes.

Reactions: aragorn and Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Exceptional for Bobby Ryan? Sure. Exceptional for a top 6 forward on a playoff team or a player making 7+ mil dollars? Come on now... that's some serious rose coloured glasses. But for all the good Ryan did playing somewhat close to earning his contract, it was offset by Stone and Turris under performing anyways.

You mentioned Anderson in another post; Anderson actually had a very uneven series against Boston, and was wasn't great against the NYR. It wasn't until the series against the Pens that he found his stride. This gets forgotten because people just go back and look at his sv% over the entire playoffs, but Andy was letting in some really questionable goals along the way.

It's also quite funny that you go on to talk about defense not being Karlsson's forté given the way he played that run, and the heaping praise he was receiving from analysts and media for his two way play. There is a reason why Karlsson got a Conn-Smyth vote despite being eliminated in the conference finals. You criticize others for diminishing the contributions of other players on the team, but that's exactly what you are doing with Karlsson. Easy target I guess now that he isn't on the team.

It turns out that having a Con Smyth level performance, and not carrying the team on your own, are not mutually exclusive concepts. And even though I have agreed that EK was excellent, but argued that he just didn't do it alone, now I'm targeting your poor player. Give me a break, and grow up.

I also watched the games, like everyone else, I posted stats as support. I've made my opinion clear at this point, like it or lump it, I'm good either way.

Merry Christmas

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Bobby Ryan was exceptional against BOS. He was invisible against NYR and was better against PIT. Andy was uneven, Hoffman was in and out, Brassard had some flashes, (hey even Zack Smith had a goal! only one though) but no one, NO ONE, was consistently our best player like Karlsson. Of course you need other players to win, this is a team sport. But if you want a sports example of someone carrying a team on his back then look no further than Karlsson in those playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bobby Ryan was exceptional against BOS. He was invisible against NYR and was better against PIT. Andy was uneven, Hoffman was in and out, Brassard had some flashes, (hey even Zack Smith had a goal! only one though) but no one, NO ONE, was consistently our best player like Karlsson. Of course you need other players to win, this is a team sport. But if you want a sports example of someone carrying a team on his back then look no further than Karlsson in those playoffs.

Some people are so focused on the idea of "carrying a team" as meaning nobody else contributed. It's a strawman argument. Carrying a team is about the gap between levels of contribution and the degree those contributions were integral to success.

Karlsson's performance was up there with all time great performances, nothing about his performance was common, you don't expect a performance of that level every year, or even every couple years. It was unique, like Leetch in 94 or Pronger in 06.

At the end of the day. if what Karlsson did doesn't qualify for the idiom of carrying the team, we might as well scrap the term because nothing will qualify.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You guys have great memories. I barely remember the run now.

All I remember is, Erik was the best player on the ice practically every shift he was out there.

From what I remember after EK who had a performance for the ages, Pageau and Ryan were our best players.

Anderson was not very good in the first two rounds, especially in round 1. Brassard played well in round 1 then played like crap against the Rangers and got injured. Stone didn't look like himself. Turris and Hoffman came out with timely goals but overall were average. Methot was solid as usual.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
You guys have great memories. I barely remember the run now.

All I remember is, Erik was the best player on the ice practically every shift he was out there.

From what I remember after EK who had a performance for the ages, Pageau and Ryan were our best players.

Anderson was not very good in the first two rounds, especially in round 1. Brassard played well in round 1 then played like crap against the Rangers and got injured. Stone didn't look like himself. Turris and Hoffman came out with timely goals but overall were average. Methot was solid as usual.

I want to say I remember Methot had three goals - he was amazing. Probably half the reason EK was able to dominate is because MM played a shutdown game for the ages and stepped up with great passes and clutch goals.

Stone was almost not there. If he had shown up at all that team likely wins a cup. Turris was flat, though pretty good on the dot. Brassard was invisible. Phaneuf stepped up time after time. Big hits.

Chris Kelly cost us game 7. He shortened the bench and provided absolutely nothing. He left the ice late on the last shift change and imo put us out of position, allowing Kunitz in.

It is what it is but will forever sting as we would have beat Nashville handily imo.

The class EK demonstrated shaking with Crosby is what I remember and cherish. I wish this franchise could emulate it on a perennial basis.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, this game is long over and the thread has gone remarkably off topic (for which I'm one of the culprits...) so it's time to lock her up and move on. Anybody wanting to discuss Karlsson's performance in that run will have to find a more suitable thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->