Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was solidly mid-diamond at one point, then high platinum/low diamond, and now I'm almost in silver. I'd be really interested in actually knowing how the point system and match making work at this point.

After taking a long break I started playing again a bit more, but with a friend in low gold while I was mid platinum. We go on a massive losing streak and now it's impossible to string wins together. There's always been the debate about whether you can carry a team in this game, but the more and more I play, the more and more I believe it isn't possible on anything that isn't capable of putting out tons of damage. The strategy in gold is to pirate ship on every payload map, and of course my teams can never figure out how to beat it.

Part of what annoys me about this game is that you can be punished by patches. If you sink tons of hours into a particular character to get really good with them, then a huge nerf comes in that completely changes the meta, you have to sink even more hours into a new character. I just don't have the time for that. I get three games in a day maybe, so it just feels really crappy to know I could be better with certain heroes, but I'll never get there simply because of the time constraint.

Still enjoy the game, and maybe I just need to go back to using the find a group tool or get more friends to play with again. This is probably the most team dependent game I can think of.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I was solidly mid-diamond at one point, then high platinum/low diamond, and now I'm almost in silver. I'd be really interested in actually knowing how the point system and match making work at this point.

After taking a long break I started playing again a bit more, but with a friend in low gold while I was mid platinum. We go on a massive losing streak and now it's impossible to string wins together. There's always been the debate about whether you can carry a team in this game, but the more and more I play, the more and more I believe it isn't possible on anything that isn't capable of putting out tons of damage. The strategy in gold is to pirate ship on every payload map, and of course my teams can never figure out how to beat it.

Part of what annoys me about this game is that you can be punished by patches. If you sink tons of hours into a particular character to get really good with them, then a huge nerf comes in that completely changes the meta, you have to sink even more hours into a new character. I just don't have the time for that. I get three games in a day maybe, so it just feels really crappy to know I could be better with certain heroes, but I'll never get there simply because of the time constraint.

Still enjoy the game, and maybe I just need to go back to using the find a group tool or get more friends to play with again. This is probably the most team dependent game I can think of.

I think a good DPS could probably carry at a low level, but once you hit something in the middle like platinum I don't think so anymore

Kind of the beauty of the game in my opinion, but also the most frustrating part about the game

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I basically stick almost exclusively to mystery heroes on ps4. I'm not great by any means, but I will say that a good healer can carry a team too.
Anecdotally because it's not tracked anywhere that I'm aware of, I probably have like an 80% win rate when I land on Lucio.

And one player can definitely sink a team. Matches where I get stuck on doomfist and sniper type characters my win rate is probably like 20%

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I basically stick almost exclusively to mystery heroes on ps4. I'm not great by any means, but I will say that a good healer can carry a team too.
Anecdotally because it's not tracked anywhere that I'm aware of, I probably have like an 80% win rate when I land on Lucio.

And one player can definitely sink a team. Matches where I get stuck on doomfist and sniper type characters my win rate is probably like 20%

Lucio is my main, which can carry in certain situations, but it's really difficult when your team isn't putting out damage and the map doesn't provide booping opportunities.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

You can view win percentage on your profile but only for certain modes I'm pretty sure. I tried to check some of mine the other day in all modes but I couldn't find it, but when I switched to competitive only I could see. I doubt mystery has win percentage stat but who knows

I'm also a Lucio player too. Wouldn't say he's my main, but he is my third most played character in all modes behind Dva and Moira

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
OWL season 2 just kicked off last week and we even got to see torb and sym get used! History was made

I didn't watch any other than some clips, but from what I heard almost everyone was going GOATs every round. Crazy

OW seems to balance everything to the OWL lately, not based off how strong characters are for the average player, for example the Reaper change. That concerns me a bit as a tank/healer main, thinking they will buff some other tank buster in effort to balance the OWL more which will screw up the mid-level players

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just climbed back into platinum after dropping from platinum (2700) to nearly silver (within 2100 points) earlier in the season. I had to play a bunch without a friend who has always been stuck in gold that I had been queuing with for most of this season.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Been playing some of the best I've ever played lately but it is so hard being a tank right now. This game by its nature can get so frustrating trying to play a certain role if your teammates don't cooperate

Everyone wants to play DPS so you're lucky if you even get two tanks/heals. Then on top of that everyone either plays a sniper or a flanker which means no DPS is ever around you as a main tank. The healers in the game have become more offensive minded so you usually don't have enough healing. Repear is OP as hell on Xbox so when you are Rein and you get surrounded by one and your DPS is off in a different world you are screwed.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Been playing some of the best I've ever played lately but it is so hard being a tank right now. This game by its nature can get so frustrating trying to play a certain role if your teammates don't cooperate

Everyone wants to play DPS so you're lucky if you even get two tanks/heals. Then on top of that everyone either plays a sniper or a flanker which means no DPS is ever around you as a main tank. The healers in the game have become more offensive minded so you usually don't have enough healing. Repear is OP as hell on Xbox so when you are Rein and you get surrounded by one and your DPS is off in a different world you are screwed.

If you want to play comp and play this game seriously, Looking For Group is the only way to go. I have been doing this and locking in 2/2/2 for the last year, and even when I lose the game is infinitely more enjoyable.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
What is a good SR for someone in this position to achieve?

I would say gold if you’re just starting. So like 2000-2500

If you want to play comp and play this game seriously, Looking For Group is the only way to go. I have been doing this and locking in 2/2/2 for the last year, and even when I lose the game is infinitely more enjoyable.

Yeah I’ve actually never done that yet, not sure why. I’ll give it a shot today

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Use the looking for group feature. You can enfore roles so people have to play 2/2/2 or 3/3 or whatever composition the leader wants. More people with a mic + less chance of someone quitting

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Overwatch Patch Notes

Lots of hero updates that will hopefully put an end to the GOATS meta at the pro scene. Biggest buffs were to junkrat, symmetra, and hammond in my opinion

The Hammond one is great

I think the boop changes will be huge too. I played a little last night and can already see it. Just playing Lucio you can easily save yourself and teammates from people charging at you by booping them back

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
The Hammond one is great

I think the boop changes will be huge too. I played a little last night and can already see it. Just playing Lucio you can easily save yourself and teammates from people charging at you by booping them back
The boops are nice, but I still think he got the biggest nerf. Speed boost amplification dropped from 70%-50%

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Overwatch Patch Notes

Lots of hero updates that will hopefully put an end to the GOATS meta at the pro scene. Biggest buffs were to junkrat, symmetra, and hammond in my opinion

I still think Sombra play is the most boring to watch on pro level and I think we get even more of that once goats goes away. Infinite translocator and infinite invisibility buffs were the worst ones for recent pro overwatch.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Played the new character for the first time the other day. I think he's the character that has me stop playing. An ability that prevents teammates from dying if they're within range? No thanks.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Played the new character for the first time the other day. I think he's the character that has me stop playing. An ability that prevents teammates from dying if they're within range? No thanks.

Not only that, but where the majority of players play, it will be hard to coordinate to take that out and then kill the team.

Yeah, they get knocked down to 40, but still. Free for all to do anything.

Only have grav and no other ults ? Grav + field + tell Rein to swing. Even if you have other ults, might as well use that.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
On a different note, I use to play this game quite often, but now I find it's even more so unbalance in comp. Way more often than not you either stomp, or get stomped. It's rather annoying to be stuck in the same area.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Meh... I don't think its game breaking. Sure its annoying but its like any other defensive ability in the game, you just have to plan for it. If you throw a DVA bomb, you just need to keep track of one more thing to make sure is on cool-down. You wouldn't DVA bomb if you knew Rein had full shield, so you shouldn't if you know he has immortality field

Whats annoying is potato teammates who don't shoot the damn thing when its deployed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->