Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Dallas picking up AKM has been big in stage 2. He’s an incredible soldier player.

AKM has indeed been a huge add, along with them kinda benching the old guard in favor of a more modernized lineup.

That and the meta change. Hammering Mercy has absolutely gutted some teams. LA Valiant, Boston and Florida (somehow) look worse than they did in stage 1 because of the lessened room for error. While some teams like Houston and Seoul, and Dallas have benefitted big time.

Personally looking forward to watching that new look Shanghai squad come next stage. The chick they signed is a mean ass D.va from what I've seen of her streams.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah it was kinda a cool throwback but guys like Taimou and Seagull just can’t have the same consistent effect on team fights that they used to. There’s too many amazing DPS players out there.

Dallas vs Seoul was a great set yesterday.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Seagull's biggest problem is he stretched himself too thin. He's great at a ton of heroes, but because of that he isn't really able to play any particular one at a starting lineup level. Outside of Hanzo but Hanzo is really situational at this point.

Taimou is simply outclassed and Dallas apparently had no one who could shotcall. I imagine he'd make a pretty great coach though down the line because of that (though them expecting him to play an off tank like Winston at a high enough level was laughable)

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Rascal + AKM have really given Dallas some boost. It's sad to see the old Envyus breaking apart tho. Seagull really has no room on the roster anymore and seems like Taimou is riding the bench hard too. Could see him coming into the line-up if they come up with a good 3 tank strategy with him playing Roadhog, but as a dps he just has no room.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Is this game dying on console?

I picked it up for the first time in months the other day just to see what's changed.

Aside from two new characters, nothing. I did enjoy playing as the shield support chick, would have been a fun character when I was playing a lot.

But it's just gotten stale, staying power is gained by keeping things fresh. The cycle with Overwatch is too slow for new characters, maps and game modes.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Is this game dying on console?

I have definitely lost a bit of interest but I wouldn't say dying

I still play a couple times every week, usually just arcade to get the boxes. And when events come around I'll play a good bit more

It does feel like it needs something to spice it up. I don't know what though

Adding a new character doesn't really change much unless you happen to be good at that character. For example, I was all excited for the latest new character, but once its out for a week you pretty much know if you're gonna play them a lot or not. And I knew right away I wasn't going to. So what long term difference has adding niche characters really made to the game? Its barely changing anything. And its only changing competitive for like 2% of players

I almost think it needs like an expansion. Five new characters all at once. Something that's actually gonna change how the game is played

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I have definitely lost a bit of interest but I wouldn't say dying

I still play a couple times every week, usually just arcade to get the boxes. And when events come around I'll play a good bit more

It does feel like it needs something to spice it up. I don't know what though

Adding a new character doesn't really change much unless you happen to be good at that character. For example, I was all excited for the latest new character, but once its out for a week you pretty much know if you're gonna play them a lot or not. And I knew right away I wasn't going to. So what long term difference has adding niche characters really made to the game? Its barely changing anything. And its only changing competitive for like 2% of players

I almost think it needs like an expansion. Five new characters all at once. Something that's actually gonna change how the game is played

A new game mode for competitive would be welcome. We've essentially got payload and assault and occasionally capture the flag. They need to come up with some more modes - maybe 1 flag (take turns defending/going on offence), territories/conquest, etc.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a combination of things, but make no mistake i think this game is on its last legs, at least on console.

To list a few:

- The fact blizzard parades it around as a high skill competitive game and continually add very low skill/braindead level stuff like the Junkrat buff, Brigette's shield hitbox being so huge you insta-gank higher skill level characters like Genji/Tracer if they get caught, and Moira's ball/attack that stretches across the map to kill you (not her ult)

- Blizzard's stupid balance decisions. Sombra's changes a big example. Even the pros didn't want it. Even better is Reaper's buff coming tomorrow; the wraith cancel, death blossom reloading his guns and a wraith speed boostis going to make him incredibly annoying to play against.

- Toxicity. Not a blizzard problem obviously, but Overwatch's me vs we mindset battle has turned a lot of players off. Big issue with a game like fortnite around to actually play, and people can just watch the overwatch league to get their fix instead of interacting with idiots.

- Other valid stuff already being stated (the content drip)

I've play a bit the last couple seasons and I've noticed competitive matches are way less balanced more. Like low level silvers being throw in with golds and plats bad. At peak hours too.

That being said, i am looking forward to their PVE event. Uprising was fun as hell last year.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I recently got back into Overwatch after taking a few seasons off (PC). There are some things that are nice and others that is the same old with the game that can get frustrating. I think the meta is in a much better spot on PC than it used to be, with a lot more balance around what you can and cannot do. It's definitely fun to see a larger set of characters playing in each match.

My frustration comes from the same things it always has. Unless you're playing with a large group of friends, the randomness in teammates is frustrating in terms of skill level, roles, and toxicity. Getting placed on a team where nobody plays a particular type of character (DPS, Tank, Support) it's pretty much an insta-loss and that isn't because you or your teammates are bad, it's that there is overlap in your skillsets that don't make for a well rounded team.

I find the maps to be frustrating at times. I'm a big fan of the control maps but I rarely get them, I guess that makes sense since it's 4/17 of the options, but I wish you could prefer certain maps or remove some. They offer that ability in StarCraft and I find it odd they don't allow for vetoing of certain maps.

Moira is really a terrible character, at least how she functions now. Her orbs are ridiculous and there is no other ability in the game that requires so little skill and does so much damage over a duration like that. Lob it towards your enemy and let it bounce around while they have no way to stop it, unless they have a D.Va. Then there is her ultimate, which has an absurd amount of range and blocks your vision (which I know they want to address). I just had a McCree ult at the same time and it was impossible to find him through the Moira ultimate in order to counter it. Doomfists' ultimate is also ridiculous because it can't be disrupted and there is little indication as to where he's going because it can change so quickly.

Mostly, I think it's a fun and enjoyable game, especially when not taken too seriously. Other games allow players to carry consistently because of their skill, this isn't one of those games and that can be frustrating at times. I just had 11 environmental kills on Ilios and gold eliminations with 34 with Lucio and my team still managed to lose. He's just not a hero that you can carry on consistently in order to rank up, so I don't think rank is really a great indicator of skill for certain heroes.

I'm a former mid-diamond player and have been mid-plat this season after taking most of the three past seasons off. Lucio main, but also play D.Va, Winston, and Zenyatta with some regularity.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Question for you guys: Do you consider genuinely questioning a pretty clear poor hero choice as toxic?

Example: Let's say the other team has a Widow and a Soldier, and one of your DPS picks Pharah halfway through the match. Do you consider questioning that pick to be toxic?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Question for you guys: Do you consider genuinely questioning a pretty clear poor hero choice as toxic?

Example: Let's say the other team has a Widow and a Soldier, and one of your DPS picks Pharah halfway through the match. Do you consider questioning that pick to be toxic?

I think it comes down to context and tone. Last night I played a game with a Widow on my team, when it wasn't working and the team couldn't get any picks, a few members of the team politely asked if the person could switch off Widow. The response from the player was a "no" and then just left voice chat entirely. To me, asking if a player would mind switching isn't toxic, it's actually good teamwork. Continuing to play a poor character and then leaving voice chat is a lot more toxic.

On the flip side, if you're riding a guy for playing a character all game and are rude about it, you probably shouldn't.

It's a shame that toxic players and one trick players have made it so everyone else has to decide whether or not it's a good idea to even speak up about team composition, because it could end up pissing people off and result in them throwing.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Nope. Especially if it's a ranked game (people expect each other to pick appropriate heroes for good chemistry and/or to fill needs). I cannot stand it when my team has both a Hanzo and a Widow. It's even worse when there are more DPS heroes on the team as well, like a Soldier and a Junkrat. You're basically doomed to fail with not enough picks left to cover healers and tanks. So the people that make those picks are selfish and basically are stating "I don't care about the rest of my team, I just want to play whatever hero and have fun" - which is fine, just don't play ranked because it ruins it for the rest of us.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

I mean it shouldn't be, but the type of person to switch to something inappropriate like that seems to always be the type of person to not take criticism well

One of my friends I play with will constantly call out our teammates who are being dumb, and I've noticed it just has a reverse effect. They'll stop trying, try to throw the game, or leave

I've found your best bet is to just let people play who they want and try to win regardless. Sometimes people will tell me to switch off something in the middle of me having a great game, and it just pisses me off. Generally you know if who you're playing isn't working and will know you need to switch. Trying to micro manage I've found just usually backfires

Also, in your situation, certain character choices would be better, but I will take a really good pharah against a tough counter, over someone trying to play a character they suck at just to counter the other team

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I mean it shouldn't be, but the type of person to switch to something inappropriate like that seems to always be the type of person to not take criticism well

One of my friends I play with will constantly call out our teammates who are being dumb, and I've noticed it just has a reverse effect. They'll stop trying, try to throw the game, or leave

I've found your best bet is to just let people play who they want and try to win regardless. Sometimes people will tell me to switch off something in the middle of me having a great game, and it just pisses me off. Generally you know if who you're playing isn't working and will know you need to switch. Trying to micro manage I've found just usually backfires

Also, in your situation, certain character choices would be better, but I will take a really good pharah against a tough counter, over someone trying to play a character they suck at just to counter the other team

Agreed.
And I might be biased (Pharah main), but Pharah/Tracer/Sombra are the best heroes to take out the enemy healers. They are great at getting behind enemy lines and focusing on the healers first.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It would be horrible for the pro scene and counter intuitive to what the project of Overwatch has been, but I think they need to release a major expansion to rejuvenate the game. Ive been really into the game on and off since release, mostly based around how much free time I have, but its gotten really stale.

Multiple maps and multiple heroes, instead of just an “Overwatch 2” type expansion.

It would never happen though

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It would be horrible for the pro scene and counter intuitive to what the project of Overwatch has been, but I think they need to release a major expansion to rejuvenate the game. Ive been really into the game on and off since release, mostly based around how much free time I have, but its gotten really stale.

Multiple maps and multiple heroes, instead of just an “Overwatch 2” type expansion.

I agree that they need to do something to spice things up again. The expansion idea wouldn't be a big change, because it would be the same thing that they are already doing now (new heroes and new maps) - the only difference would be that it would be all at once rather than in increments.

Blizzard has obviously tried to keep things fresh with the events, with the server browser for custom games, and with the new heroes/maps.

However, they need to do more new things. These PVE events are always very well received. They should consistently do PVE missions that are permanent, release them in chapters like what the Hitman series did recently. They could also build on the skins/aesthetic portion of the game. Introduce crafting like what Team Fortress 2 and DoTA 2 had. It just gives people more freedom and stuff to tinker with.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Why couldn't it happen?

Blizzard has released expansions for every game. Diablo, Starcraft, etc.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Why couldn't it happen?

Blizzard has released expansions for every game. Diablo, Starcraft, etc.
because it would demolish the meta and cause too much change, which isnt their plan for overwatch as an esports game. They want everything to progress slowly

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think they need to create different ladders for different queue stacks. Solos, Duos, Trios, and 4+? Something like that, so it eases your ability to play with friends and not get slammed if you're playing down. They did it in StarCraft 2 and I'm not sure why it isn't considered for Overwatch.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
anyone else think the events are too short? I think with Overwtach's flame dying, another week would be nice.

Last year when the game was still buzzing 3 weeks felt like enough as I was playing almost every day. Now I usually play just a couple times a week til I get the arcade boxes

This event about to end and I feel like it just started, oh well

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just read a thread about how they're redesigning Symmetra and not a fan of it at all. Sounds like they're making her for PC, while eliminating a character for those who like her on console because they can't snipe on console.

I mean sure, move her out of the healer group and into support that makes sense.

But replacing her lock on beam with a Zarya style laser? And changing secondary fire to an explosion? How many more grenade attacks do we need in this game? The shield piercing was great for busting groups that think they can hide behind a shield with turrets and Bastions.
And changing her turrets to a fired placement just means more aim issues. Plus reducing the number, even if they are stronger reduces the area of zone control.

Swapping shield and teleporter, fine whatever it's utility changes, can adapt, but hurts her ability to be played as a flanker on attacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad