Rumor: Overseas Free Agents

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Mathias Bromé leaves Örebro after the season.
The 25-year-old has received several concrete offers from Russian clubs, but is about to refuse the KHL millions. HockeyNews.se reveals that Bromé will choose between Vancouver or Detroit.

Link

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The KHL is implementing a strict salary cap next season. So much so that it's been speculated that many Russians will come over to the NHL. Don't know how many millions that they can offer Brome but we have plenty of cap space

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I like overseas signings because its almost like a free draft pick. You can usually sign a no risk prove deal and if they don't work out just move on. I wish the wings would sign like 3 overseas goalies.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Rybar imo is a head shaker still. He didn't play terrible, and would be better than Pickard imo, or anyone else in the AHL right now. Might of given Howard a run for his money, was better than Comrie too imo so that trade would of never happened.

Idk, I don't get why he went back to Finland, he had a shot. Someone somewhere wasn't buying into him at all or he had personal reasons to go back home... idk. The door was open for for him in many ways I thought.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Rybar imo is a head shaker still. He didn't play terrible, and would be better than Pickard imo, or anyone else in the AHL right now. Might of given Howard a run for his money, was better than Comrie too imo so that trade would of never happened.

Idk, I don't get why he went back to Finland, he had a shot. Someone somewhere wasn't buying into him at all or he had personal reasons to go back home... idk. The door was open for for him in many ways I thought.
Kaski stated that Finn's in GR weren't on the same level (loosely translated) & they were unhappy there...don't know if that had anything to do with Rybar. Saarijarvi underperformed, but maybe part of that was he was also unhappy? He's producing 3X as much in Tucson, which isn't saying much.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Kaski stated that Finn's in GR weren't on the same level (loosely translated) & they were unhappy there...don't know if that had anything to do with Rybar. Saarijarvi underperformed, but maybe part of that was he was also unhappy? He's producing 3X as much in Tucson, which isn't saying much.

Same level? Are you talking skill wise? Personally? Cause if they felt a bias within that Grand Rapids organization then there might be a bigger problem within the FO/Coaching ranks there. Discrimination, *cause they're EURO*, can't be tolerated in anyway.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kaski and Saarijärvi were splitting games with each other early at season. Maybe that didn't feel fair. It was odd for me too.

I think Seider just pushed them out, being so good. Just don't get the idea on getting Kyle Wood, because finally Griffins were short of PP quarterbacks. Understand trading Saarijärvi, but don't understand trading Kaski too almost at same time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Same level? Are you talking skill wise? Personally? Cause if they felt a bias within that Grand Rapids organization then there might be a bigger problem within the FO/Coaching ranks there. Discrimination, *cause they're EURO*, can't be tolerated in anyway.

Theres no way thats true. That team has always had large amounts of Europeans in big roles. I highly doubt the coaching staff had it out personally against Finns either. Saarjiarvi sucked and Kasi played a whopping 19 games. If anything I would bet that Kaski came over and expected to be handed shit and stirred the pot up. Thats why he was moved so quickly

Reactions: smitty10 and Snuggs

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Theres no way thats true. That team has always had large amounts of Europeans in big roles. I highly doubt the coaching staff had it out personally against Finns either. Saarjiarvi sucked and Kasi played a whopping 19 games. If anything I would bet that Kaski came over and expected to be handed shit and stirred the pot up. Thats why he was moved so quickly
This seems the most likely. Having 1 too many Dmen didn't help.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Here's a pretty good write up by @Caser on the trade board, with one player mentioned to be signing with Detroit (that we already know) :

6. RW Malte Stromwall
Notes on NHL status: -
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six RW (NHL)

Stromwall successfully transferred and continued his progress from the Liiga in his debut KHL season and, after getting plenty of goals and points on a not very strong Sochi team, reports started to appear that he is set to sign with the Red Wings. That won't surprise me at all, as they're badly in need of someone who can play hockey.

Reactions: hkydave04

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Here's a pretty good write up by @Caser on the trade board, with one player mentioned to be signing with Detroit (that we already know) :

6. RW Malte Stromwall
Notes on NHL status: -
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six RW (NHL)

Stromwall successfully transferred and continued his progress from the Liiga in his debut KHL season and, after getting plenty of goals and points on a not very strong Sochi team, reports started to appear that he is set to sign with the Red Wings. That won't surprise me at all, as they're badly in need of someone who can play hockey.

They are badly in need of someone who has a heartbeat...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
- C Fredrik Händemark (rumoured to Detroit in February) signed with San Jose. 26-year old, big 6'3 center.
- LhD Mikko Lehtonen, signed to Toronto. Probably best Free Agent defenceman at Europe.
- W Mathias Brome, signed to Detroit.
- G Alexei Melnichuk, signed to San Jose. 21-year old undrafted 6'1 goaltender.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
- C Fredrik Händemark (rumoured to Detroit in February) signed with San Jose. 26-year old, big 6'3 center.
- LhD Mikko Lehtonen, signed to Toronto. Probably best Free Agent defenceman at Europe.
- W Mathias Brome, signed to Detroit.
- G Alexei Melnichuk, signed to San Jose. 21-year old undrafted 6'1 goaltender.

San Jose stepping it up... Lehtonen going to Toronto is massive

Reactions: smitty10

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Really wanted the russian goalie since our goaltending is still a question mark although we have some nice potential , think theres another 1-2 khl goalies id be interested in going after

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad