Rumor: Overseas Free Agents

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Pronman just published his top college and overseas UFA list. These guys missed the cut due to age but he touched on a few of them for whatever it’s worth

Players who missed due to age eligibility:
Mathias Brome, LW Orebo-SHL
Fredrik Handemark, C, Malmo-SHL
Malte Stromwall, RW, Sochi-KHL
Gustav Rydahl, LW, Farjestad-SHL
Linden Vey, RW, CSKA-KHL
Of the five of them, Stromwall stands out the most as a bubble prospect due to his great hands and shot, but lacks NHL quickness. I know teams are interested in Rydahl, as well, but I don’t see much offensive upside, more physical tools.

Reactions: Mister Ed

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Pronman just published his top college and overseas UFA list. These guys missed the cut due to age but he touched on a few of them for whatever it’s worth

Linden Vey, RW, CSKA-KHL
Of the five of them, Stromwall stands out the most as a bubble prospect due to his great hands and shot, but lacks NHL quickness. I know teams are interested in Rydahl, as well, but I don’t see much offensive upside, more physical tools.

Is it fair to label them as fringe players? Someone who we’d take a chance on and see if it works out? Or are these players who would be able to jump into a NHL lineup from the start?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Always thought Ahcan was interesting at SCSU, but not sure we want to add another AHL/NHL borderline guy on defense?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Also yeah, would definitely take a flier on Grigorenko. Think he could still make it in the NHL.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Linden Vey, RW, CSKA-KHL

Linden Vey - he was a guy who sometimes panned out well in EHM :)

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also yeah, would definitely take a flier on Grigorenko. Think he could still make it in the NHL.

Would be fun to get him and also trade for Zadorov.

Then build some success around these guys, who busted at Buffalo.

If Nesterov comes, Yzerman knows he's good. If not, he must not be NHL-caliber and is at KHL for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: hkydave04

vicehf

Sep 14, 2013
I want to see them roll the dice on a guy like Pius Suter, a former Guelph teammate of Bertuzzi and Fabbri. He has a NHL out-clause in his contract for this summer and was also missing from Pronman's list.

He wasn't drafted because of his size (5'11, 170 now), but he's proven to be one of the best players in the NLA, plays center and currently leading the league in goals (29) and in points (51). The general scouting report for him has been that he's a reliable two-way player that has some skill and creativity in the offensive zone.

It's extremely doubtful that players that we sign out of the European or College ranks will be able to step into the NHL roster and be a star immediately (there's no Panarin-calibre talent this year), but his production is similar to that of Dominik Kubalik last year, who has proven a solid pickup for the Blackhawks.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My problem with us signing a bunch of players in this type of situation, is we could end up with a bunch of Perlini's on our hands. We got fortunate that Fabbri had that hot start, but even he has slowed significantly from where he was his first 20 games with us. I get the whole free asset thing, but I think there is more failure than success when you take fliers on guys.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
My problem with us signing a bunch of players in this type of situation, is we could end up with a bunch of Perlini's on our hands. We got fortunate that Fabbri had that hot start, but even he has slowed significantly from where he was his first 20 games with us. I get the whole free asset thing, but I think there is more failure than success when you take fliers on guys.

They wouldn't cost anything more than a roster spot to acquire, so it be worth it I think.

Let Erne, Perlini walk and Ehn in GR. Give the other overseas UFAs a chance.

Reactions: Snuggs

vicehf

Sep 14, 2013

The team needs to fill out the Wings (and Griffins) somehow, and we know that the younger bottom six players we have haven’t performed up to expectations.

If the organization takes steps to replace those players through a combination of European/College signings and internal promotion, it’s possible that we make a lateral move where we end up with the same disappointment from the new players. But if we already know the players we have are disappointing, then there’s nothing to lose.

The potential reward that we get a Fabbri out of these signings outweighs the low risk (only costs us a contract spot and money) of signing a new group of potential bottom six players. We know the “bunch of Perlinis” that we already have and don’t really have much to replace them with, so give some guys the chance.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
not advocating picking him up, but alexei marchenko has done really well in the khl and there have been rumblings of him heading back to the nhl.

obviously the guy was never going to be a world-beater, but it boggles the mind to think how much our D has deteriorated since he left us that 3 years ago we were happy to put this guy on waivers. where would he be on the depth chart right now? with hronek and dekeyser injured, you could easily make the argument that he's as good as, or better than anything else that we've got.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
not advocating picking him up, but alexei marchenko has done really well in the khl and there have been rumblings of him heading back to the nhl.

obviously the guy was never going to be a world-beater, but it boggles the mind to think how much our D has deteriorated since he left us that 3 years ago we were happy to put this guy on waivers. where would he be on the depth chart right now? with hronek and dekeyser injured, you could easily make the argument that he's as good as, or better than anything else that we've got.

I'll never understand why we didn't keep guys like Marchenko and XO around.
For Trevor Daley? Yeesh.
All Marchenko did was reduce goals against. You need guys who play like that.

Reactions: Chris 84

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Not overseas, but Corey Pronman said on Craig Custance's podcast that he's heard Detroit linked to Brinson Pasichnuk (22 year-old defenseman currently playing at Arizona State).
Thats good , Rather target the younger guys and hope for the best. I seen lafraniere’s linemate on the list and some other guy from the quebec juniors we should maybe target .

I think guys like grigorenko are doing fine in the khl but would be nothing special here as well as the two older swedes we’re linked with. Wheres this custance podcast where he talked to pronman?its in the athletic?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Two guys I think could really help the team out: C Mikhail Grigorenko and G Timur Bilyalov.

Id like to get Grigorenko now if Red Wings could and Bilyalov in the offseason, but Grigorenko can be a decent 4th line center, better than Ehn/Nelsien. Has size. Idk if he moved to wing his last year in Colorado but that face off percentage was solid at 57%. I think Bilyalov has a chance at being an average NHL goalie, and he'd be an upgrade over Howard and anyone in our system right now. Not better than Bernier I don't think, but, could get better with time/adjustment.

Idk if a move will be made for either. The Sweedish fellas imo are fliers who are more suited up to upgrade the Griffins more than being future building blocks for the Red Wings. They've got a chance but... they'll have to stand out big time imo to get a shot with the Red Wings.

Red Wings are pretty weak lines 2-4 honestly so, a few light additions will actually be nice upgrades, same on defense.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Man... Bilyalov is one tiny goalie, i wouldn't sign him. Ivan Bocharov has good numbers too in Russia. it's a good thing that Yzerman hired a goalie scout, we need him now. Sorokin is best goalie over there, but do we have package to trade for him? I would use mid round on Amir Miftakhov.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Man... Bilyalov is one tiny goalie, i wouldn't sign him. Ivan Bocharov has good numbers too in Russia. it's a good thing that Yzerman hired a goalie scout, we need him now. Sorokin is best goalie over there, but do we have package to trade for him? I would use mid round on Amir Miftakhov.

You have Patrik "The Fisherman" Rybar in Finnland playing. He is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->