Overdue - Deconstruct the organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmik*

It is obvious. In fact, it should have been obvious after the OK City debacle.
That the core of the current Oilers is rotten. Whatever they are, they are not winning hockey players.
The Edmonton fans would be well served by the immediate deconstruction of the core, starting with Hall and Eberle. Playing soft and stupid after four years as NHL players is sufficient evidence that they need to flushed.
It also obvious that Dubnyk should never play another game for the Oilers , ever, but even with that the problems with this team can only be corrected by the above mentioned deconstruction.
Of course, for 7 years, I have preached that Lowe should be dismissed. That should happen, asap as well. With him MacTavish and Buchberger, as examples that the organization will fess up to its failures.
That goes without saying.
The past two games demonstrate that none of the Oilers core have a clue about what it takes to play "winning" hockey , as opposed to highlight reel hockey.
One can only hope that this board rallies behind this view. Creating a fan reaction demanding accountability.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I honestly agree with you after this season. If Eakins can't whip these players into shape then honestly many of them need to go. The way I currently see it is we have many prospects dying for a chance to play and Imo even if they aren't as skilled, they at least seem like they would give a ****.

Hall at center was an awful idea, he is bad at it and it's taken a bunch of confidence from him. Eberle plays well on the first line with skilled players. He is a good finisher but that doesn't work with teammates that can't set you up.

For too long losing has been to acceptable. The oilers allowed it, the team accepted it and the only player in my opinion who seemed to give a **** is Gagner. He has been here for most of it and he seems tired of it.

Our team on paper when it's healthy looks competitive. But the mental give a **** is just not there. It's sad when your bottom six puts more effort and care into the game then your stars.

matmik*

Too many on this board, can't see the obvious.
Too many with media gigs in this City can't admit the obvious. Instead insult the fan base with endless defense of ineptitude.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Many factors are contributing to this suckage:

1)Hall not a centerman

2)Smyth not a NHL Player

3)Dubnyk not a number 1

4)Gagner and Hopkins out

5)Eberle not as good as some fans thought that he was.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Next year there will be a lot of positions available if we trade our UFA's at the deadline or let them walk July 1.

Hemsky, Smyth, Brown, Macintyre, N.Schultz, Belov, Potter, Grebeshkov, Dubnyk and Labarbera.

Next season we'll have spots open for 3rd line LW and RW, 4th line RW, extra forward, 5th, 6th and 7th defenseman and both goalies.

Hopefully Nurse and Klefbom can turn into our top pairing defence and our top six is more or less set. Just need a starting goalie and some tweaking of the third and fourth line,

spot

Aug 26, 2007
It is obvious. In fact, it should have been obvious after the OK City debacle.
That the core of the current Oilers is rotten. Whatever they are, they are not winning hockey players.
The Edmonton fans would be well served by the immediate deconstruction of the core, starting with Hall and Eberle. Playing soft and stupid after four years as NHL players is sufficient evidence that they need to flushed.
It also obvious that Dubnyk should never play another game for the Oilers , ever, but even with that the problems with this team can only be corrected by the above mentioned deconstruction.
Of course, for 7 years, I have preached that Lowe should be dismissed. That should happen, asap as well. With him MacTavish and Buchberger, as examples that the organization will fess up to its failures.
That goes without saying.
The past two games demonstrate that none of the Oilers core have a clue about what it takes to play "winning" hockey , as opposed to highlight reel hockey.
One can only hope that this board rallies behind this view. Creating a fan reaction demanding accountability.

Keep in mind that we are only two games into the season.
We introduced a new coach, system and 7 new players. Not
to mention that we have our best player playing out of position.
Once chemistry and familiarity is established along with shaking
off the rust and getting healthy we will be a much improved team.

Hall Hopkins Hemsky
Perron Arco Eberle
Hamilton Gordon Yakupov
Gazdic acton Brown

Most likely, the lines we will see on Monday with Dubynk starting.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
No. No. No and again no.

I remember you making this thread last year. I'm not going to blow up the core after game two in the regular season.

matmik*

We need to face the reality that our "young core" may never be winning hockey players.
What we have seen this year from the OKC game onward is all we need to know about Hall and Eberle.
The sooner that is accepted the sooner they can be flipped for at least functional NHL players.
"functional" NHL player - what does that mean ? It at least means not turning Trouba and Richardson into goal scorers.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
No. No. No and again no.

I remember you making this thread last year. I'm not going to blow up the core after game two in the regular season.

Especially not after two games in when we don't have our top two centers. We're struggling through a large amount of adversity right now. If we haven't showed anything more 20 games in then maybe we can start this discussion.. Everyone needs to relax.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
it'd make sense to trade two of our big 4 wingers, for example, Yakupov for a #1 D-man and Eberle for a legit starter.
while it's funny to have a whole bunch of guns skating dipsy doodles and scoring a ton on a good day, a good D-G combo can bail you out when your offense decides to take a day off.
it was terribly obvious that half Canucks' D-men are better than anything we have, and comparing Lu to Dub isn't even funny. yet Canucks manage to get away with only two star forwards, others on their roster being just solid average or slightly above average players.

i'm all in for starting to wreck it at the deadline if Oilers are hopeless at that point. that being said, i'd like to see what they can do with fully healthy lineup before we jump to conclusions.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Next year there will be a lot of positions available if we trade our UFA's at the deadline or let them walk July 1.

Hemsky, Smyth, Brown, Macintyre, N.Schultz, Belov, Potter, Grebeshkov, Dubnyk and Labarbera.

Next season we'll have spots open for 3rd line LW and RW, 4th line RW, extra forward, 5th, 6th and 7th defenseman and both goalies.

Hopefully Nurse and Klefbom can turn into our top pairing defence and our top six is more or less set. Just need a starting goalie and some tweaking of the third and fourth line,

This is the case every offseason, the Oilers always make a bunch of changes in the bottom 6/bottom pairing and the same results remain. This team needs a heart transplant and shuffling around role players isn't going to change a thing.
I don't know if RNH and Gagner coming back will make much of a difference either, the team had the same issues with them in the lineup. Soft, disorganized, listless at the sign of any adversity.

I hate to press the panic button so early but I think one of Eberle or Yakupov is going to have to be dealt at some point if the team continues to stagnate this season especially Eberle who plays with little compete and overall, looks like a complete wuss. Same with Justin Schultz, I couldn't care less about his occasional offensive rush when he plays careless 90% of the game, just no compete in that guy.
I don't know if they can continue to remain patient and hope that the core players finally "get it". They need to show a pulse this season otherwise, it's time to blow up the core IMO. It's really hard to remain positive after games like last night.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I'm beginning to really hate the Sonic RS. Anyways, there is no deconstructing to be done. The main problem is we have zero center depth and Dubnyk sucks. Solve both problems and we'll be better.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Oh I have an idea!
Trade Hall and Eberle for Vancouvers third line the Gagner and RNH for Chicagos fourth line and one of their d men. Those new two lines become our top two and the rest of our players fill out the rest!

They we just make a wall in front of Dubnyk and have Hemsky and Perron attempt single man rushes. It'll work once in a while!

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Two games in: Blow up the team!

No, this place isn't overdramatic at all. Nope.

Listen, you have a young team learning new systems every year for how many seasons? You don't learn a new system in two weeks, which is probably about how long these guys have been trying to nail down Eakins' system. It's gonna take more than two games.

Yes, they should've beat Winnipeg. Yes they were outclassed by Vancouver last night. But playoff spots aren't determined two games in, unless Bettman and the NHLPA snuck that in with passing hybrid icing.

There are 80 games left.

Save this type of thread until 20 games in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad