TSN: OverDrive: Would Canada get behind the Leafs if they were the only Canadian team left?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Vancouver ever played Montreal in the SCF I’m not sure what I would do.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I believe no fans from other teams, on this website would cheer for us, because someone on a hockey message board is a little more passionate than your average hockey fan.
The average Canadian however, is the type of person who cheers for the last Canadian team standing. In that regard, yes, I believe a lot of Canadians would get behind us.

I disagree there seems to be a Canada wide hate for Toronto outside of hockey as well as in hockey. People complain “toronto gets this or that” all the time. Especially the western provinces

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
again that is dumb.
if people are going to not like something because there are some people who act the way you don't want them to act, then you were never going to like it period, and just looking for an excuse.

A lot of Leafs fans act disrespectful and arrogant at other arenas and cities. I’ve seen in Nash, St Louis, Tampa, Anaheim and Vegas to the point I don’t even wear Leafs gear when I’m at road games. I’m not a big fan of that and can understand why other fanbases would not cheer for the Leafs.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Vancouver ever played Montreal in the SCF I’m not sure what I would do.

You watch the blue jays and go out and enjoy the heat.i Would never watch that series what so ever. Then again I don’t really watch anymore after the leafs are out 1st round last few years. Just not that interested in watching games were I have no vested interest

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Oddly I think the Senators fans are the nicest and most complimentary of the current Leafs team of all the Canadian hockey fans on this site.

And I also feel the most empathy for the Sens fans seeing what they're going through. I respect them. There's not so much of that for other Canadian fanbases from my point of view.

I used to always cheer on the Flames for example, but even their fans seem to have jumped on the trendy hate the Leafs bandwagon this season and thus I loved seeing them get eliminated.

Toodle-oo!

Maybe we're next, but maybe we move on.

Also just realized I'd LOVE a Leafs vs Blues SCF. The two longest cup droughts.

Ottawas board is among the most vitriolic of Leaf all Leaf hate!
Living in the Ottawa area I can tell you for sure they despise the Leafs as much if not more than any fan base. I expect it’s the four playoff losses that heightened it so much. They really get worked up about Leafers filling their building even before they became the embarrassing shambles they are now.The TSN 1200 radio station spends almost as much time Leaf bashing as they do talking about the Sens.

Mar 26, 2010
Exactly the reason I cheer against other Canadian teams.

People at work say “we gotta cheer on the last Canadian team”, the networks try to sell it too for obvious reasons, but I know they would never cheer for the Leafs in the finals so why the hell should I cheer for them? **** that
I have the same outlook on the other Canadian teams! Not a fan at all. Their fans have made it that way with the constant trashing of the Leafs.

Reactions: supermann_98

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
I know right?
That is just like asking me to get behind the Habs if they we're the only Canadian team in the playoffs... not a chance! lol
see thats why as a habs fan and as a canadian I could never cheer for Tdot lol. I could get behind any other canadian team but just not the leafs. Not a chance lol. I think or rivalry is to big for that.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Okay you guys, I'm a Yank and a Leafs fan.

I'm from Colorado and the Avs have been my team since 1997 when I started being a hockey fan. My username is about Patrick Roy. I've always noticed the anti-Toronto bias of HF, and I never really understood it. Why is there such venomous hatred towards Toronto in hockey? It's not a New England Patriots thing where the team keeps winning cups and going deep into the playoffs every year so people are sick of them. Conversely, for most of this decade, the Leafs were not good, but you always see so much shade and attacks on the Leafs and Leafs fans on this site.

It's weird. In the states, you'd be hard pressed to find a big chunk of people that just hate New York teams, because it's the biggest city and the cultural center of the country.

So I thought it must be the media causing the hatred and bias. Always pimping Toronto. But I've never even been to Canada (oof), so WTF do I know about the media there? Maybe all TV, radio and web sources are shoving the Leafs down everyone's throat, yelling that the Leafs are the best team every year. Right, that might make so many Canadians have this crazy Toronto and Leafs hate.

But no. Reading comments here for years from people who do see TSN, HNIC, CBC and other media, it doesn't seem like that at all. Some love the Leafs and have unrealistic ideas about how good they are, but others are Leaf Haters and diminish whatever they do. And some are neutral. So it doesn't seem like constant media love and adulation is the reason for all these Leaf Haters. In other words, this whole thing makes no sense (to me)!

In a perfect world, Canada would root for the Leafs if they went deep because they play exciting, skill-based hockey and have a bunch of young marketable stars. But I think that's unlikely.

Anyway, I BECAME A LEAFS FAN because of HF and the anti-Toronto brigade I saw for years. Plus Auston Matthews. I've been with you guys for the last 3 years, and somehow, I might even root for the Leafs if a miracle Avs-Leafs final occurs this year. Please, please win tomorrow!

I gave it a try again this year and wanted to cheer for the other Canadian teams in the West. The Jets white out and their players annoyed me already after 5 minutes. I saw the Avs (especially MacKinnon and later also Makar) play against the Flames though. Great team in the making.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
A lot of Leafs fans act disrespectful and arrogant at other arenas and cities. I’ve seen in Nash, St Louis, Tampa, Anaheim and Vegas to the point I don’t even wear Leafs gear when I’m at road games. I’m not a big fan of that and can understand why other fanbases would not cheer for the Leafs.

and a lot of other fans do the same thing. again. this narrative that every fanbase but the Leafs are perfect angels is very tiring. every fan base has their bunch of bad apples. my point is - and i'm just leaving it here - if people are going to use some people who act stupid as a reason not to cheer for anything - then quite frankly, I doubt they were really wanting to cheer for them anyway. this goes for a good chunk of things in life.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
If the Leafs win it all, they will simultaneously end two streaks: 26 years since a Canadian team last won the Cup, and, exactly double that, 52 years since the Leafs won it.

Almost a full generation since the Canadiens won it in '93. It beggars belief that it's been so long since a Canadian team has won. All other things being equal, it defies the laws of probabilities.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
see thats why as a habs fan and as a canadian I could never cheer for Tdot lol. I could get behind any other canadian team but just not the leafs. Not a chance lol. I think or rivalry is to big for that.

It's your fan base that left the sour taste of your team in my mouth, can't stand your goofy fan's lol.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
My personal belief is that its a Canadian thing

I'm not Canadian, I'm from the UK, but, whenever i met anyone Canadian here, who isn't from the GTA, and i mention I have Canadian relatives, they ask "where from" , i reply Toronto

The inevitable response is ALWAYS "Oh, we don't like toronto/people from Toronto"

It's so bizarre, its largely an anti Toronto as a city thing I think no idea why Toronto is an awesome city filled with largely awesome people

It's a worldwide thing, Chinese people don't like people from Shanghai and Hong Kong, Japanese people hate basically anyone from Tokyo. Americans in general don't like people from NY either.

People always hate mega city citizens for some weird reasons.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
The internet and mobile devices have made fans much more global. My boys have become big fans of British soccer. Because of their ability to access any team at any location, they tend to gravitate toward the individual rather than the team. One is an Ovechkin fan, the other Crosby.They also cannot sit in one place for 3 minutes let alone 3 hours to watch a game.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
The only time Canada gets behind the Leafs is when its beside train tracks

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I would, they are no longer the goons they used to be. Kadri is a dickhead but nobody else really bothers me besides the occasional bad fan which every fanbase has.

I just want Canada to have a cup come home

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They only got behind Calgary and Edmonton during their runs cause they were loveable underdogs. Look at Vancouver. Nobody outside of BC wanted them to win.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
It was pretty close to that when Vancouver played Boston. Was hoping they'd just lose the Stanley Cup and not be able to award to either team.
That was one of the worst NHL years of my life. No matter who won, both were losers in my books

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->