Overagers in 2011 NHL draft

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
After going over the CSB rankings I noticed they didn't even bother to rank many notable overagers. I'm not sure whether that's common for that agency but I'd like to get a sense of where some of these guys could be taken and how some posters would rank them.

First off, I was shocked to not see 2nd year eligible Brenden Kichton on the list. 64 games, 81 points, +55 for Spokane... as a defenseman. He was Jared Cowen's partner so I've been following him all year. At 5'11 and 185lbs he's undersized for a defenseman, but the NHL can accommodate small defensemen with his skill set.

Another player I've been following has been Notre Dame forward TJ Tynan. The freshman scored 54 points in 44 games and led his Frozen four bound team in scoring. Next best scorer was highly regarded Anders Lee (NYI). He's 5'8, but that kind of production cannot be ignored when its against quality NCAA competition.

Other notables are;
Marcel Noebels
Brendan Shinnimin (14th in WHL scoring)
Blake Coleman (USHL leading scorer)
Magnus Hellberg
Andrej Statney
Joel Lowry
Johnathan Parker
Pereira, Mike
Sahir Gill
Adam Pettersson
John Norman
Pathrik Westherholm
Josh Shalla

Others who I know almost nothing about:
Pontus Netterberg
Zaytsev, Nikita
Jyrki Jokipakka
Alexei Marchenko
Sergei Barbashev
Jason Kasdorf
Klas Dahlbeck
Jordan Ruby
Matthew O'Connor (6'5 1/2 goalie w/ .886svp in the USHL? wtf?)
Bohumil Jank
Eric Neiley
Brad Navin
Max McCormick
Samuel Windle
Brendan Woods
Aaron Harstad

Are there any others worth noting? Any input into any of these players would be helpful. I'd like to see some rankings with Kichton, Tynan and the other notables.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Noebels will get drafted, maybe Shinnimin, Tomas Filippi is a possibility as well. Marchenko is a good player but the russian factor stopped him from being drafted last year and i think this year will be the same (i know alessandro the MOD was big on him last year)

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Alright, here's my little spew on Joel Lowry of the Victoria Grizzlies. Personally, I think in the later rounds I think he will get drafted, led the Grizzlies in points in the playoffs and the regular season. Your typical power forward who will grind it out in the corners and hands and drive to the net to boot. He's agressive on the forecheck and plays on both the powerplay and the penalty kill. Solid two-way player. By any means due I think he will be a superstar, at best he could be a solid third-line winger. A poor-man's Jamie Benn is another good comparsion. Benn being also a former Grizzlie.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't know if he's worth noting, but I think Matt Petgrave from Owen Sound might get taken with a late pick.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I'm suprised if Conz doesn't get drafted this time, he has had two good WJC's, and will probably be available in 6th or 7th round.

Jokipakka is a late bloomer, he came from nowhere and has played very well, maybe the best player of Team Finland in this years WJC. Big, reliable two-way D-man.

His Beardliness*

Max Friberg.

No one knew about him last year. This year he played great at the WJC and he's going to play in the SEL next season.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Max Friberg.

No one knew about him last year. This year he played great at the WJC and he's going to play in the SEL next season.

Friberg wasn't eligible last year. He's a late 92.

The last few years we've seen a lot of 18 and 19 year old OHLers get drafted, so I'll volunteer one name I have a hunch about: Marc Zanetti. He was looking likely to be drafted two years ago but his game fell off down the stretch as his confidence struggled. He drew a lot of praise for his play at Detroit rookie camp last year, and he took a step forward this past season I think. Personally I'm not sure he's an NHLer down the road, but he does a lot of things fairly well. I could certainly see Detroit or San Jose grabbing him late.

Sabres9

Mar 8, 2011
First off, I want to say that Josh Shalla is absolute money around the net. Literally 9/10 times it's in the back of the net when he gets it on his stick.

Brenden Kichton is gold too. Ryan O'Connor from Saginaw is another undersized offensive dman, he was once touted pretty high but maybe his size scared people off; however, I've seen him lay some of the biggest hits of games and hold his own physically.

Denis Goblubev, I believe, has immense potential to have a great bottom six pro career but he's expressed his interest in playing for the KHL short term. He was the third best forward playing in the WJC for Russia.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Here are my views on the top overagers. You should not be too concerned about Central Scouting’s ratings for overagers because a - they are frequently lower than where the player is chosen in the draft and b - often overagers (and good ones at that) are overlooked. To be fair, it is more a crapshoot for overagers particularly ones taken in the 4th and beyond.

2nd round
Hellberg, Magnus - G - 6’5 185 L - SWE-2 - 31 2.04 5 .935 - NHL CS No 2 EUR goalie
Size, stats, mobility, agility, poise, maturity, NHL readiness - The number 1 overager likely to be taken in the draft - go big and go early because otherwise this guy will not be around - may be the 1st goalie chosen overall in the draft. For the latest on Hellberg, go to Kirk Luedeke’s Bruin blogspot (yes, even Canadiens fans can view it) @ http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/04/central-scouting-european-final_820.html

3rd round
Kichton, Brenden - D - 5’11 187 R - WHL - 64-36-58-81-31-(+55) - NHL CS unrated
Under-sized, passed over D who gets it done with solid positioning and above average skills - a PP set-up man (1.27 PPG and a +55). Passed over because he was on a stacked team and really didn’t get to show what he could do till this year. The best write-up on Kichton was done at The Scouting Report @ http://www.thescoutingreport.org/prospect-spotlight-brendan-kichton/

Balisy, Chase - LW - 6’0 175 L - CCHA - 37-12-17-89-8-(+4) - NHL CS unrated
A complete player and a compete player who had a very good rookie season @ Western Michigan - strength is an issue and his skating could be better but the results are there. He is starting to be recognized with a little love out there - The Hockey News hot list in January and this little teaser from ISS posted on Hockey’s Future @ http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12876/iss_top30_risers_and_fallers_march2011/

4th round
Jokipakka, Jyrki - D - 6’3 191 L - Fin-E - 48-1-8-9-18 - NHL CS 38th EUR skater
A ready for the NHL type performance at the U20’s plus a 6’3’’ frame and two-way defender skills. Could use a little weight as most Europeans can but could be ready for the NHL next season as a 6th or 7th man after a little seasoning in the AHL. If you want to know him a bit better, Dan Sallows has an interview with him @ http://dansallows.com/interview-jyrki-jokipakka/

Dahlbeck, Klas - D - 6’2 194 L - Swe-E - 47-0-8-8-12 - NHL CS 23rd EUR skater
Another guy who 1st came to most people’s attention at the U20 was Klas Dahlbeck. Niclas Hävelid, 9-year NHL veteran, says it best, “Klas strength is that he plays to his strengths. He has good size, skating and a first pass. But above all, he's a smart hockey player. He’s that kind of player they want in the NHL and I am sure that he will get there pretty soonâ€. The original quote can be found at @ http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/linkoping/article8476693.ab

Grenier, Alexandre - RW - 6’5 200 R - QMJHL - 31-9-15-24-6-(-1) - Unrated
Alexandre le géant, almost passed by because of a car crash and playing at lower levels, this monster (twice passed over) is starting to show what he can do. And yes, he has soft hands and score with the best of them, check for his goals in the highlight section. Some say his skating is an issue but I say it is plenty good for a 6’5’’ guy - check him out yourself and find out what “Quel feint†really means (#5 in white at about 1:50 and 2.59) @ http://theqall-access.blogspot.com/2011/04/video-shawinigan-vs-quebec-game-1.html. You will want this guy for your team.

Marchenko, Alexei - D - 6’2 183 R - MHL - 36-5-33-38-28-(+33) NHL - CS 25th EUR skater
A darkhorse superstar, OK, maybe not a superstar but a solid PP QB with elite skills who somehow got passed over last year because he was Russian and did not appear in international competitions. PPG player in the MHL. There isn’t much out there in English on this guy but Alessandro Seren Rosso does a good job of hyping this guy @ http://www.russianprospect.com/alexei-marchenko

Lowry, Joel - LW - 6’1 180 L - BCHL - 42-24-43-67-35 NHL - CS 95th NA skater
OK, 4th may be a bit of a stretch but someone is going to draft this guy - maybe the guy who drafts Adam will taken Joel a little later. Anyways, there is already a nice write-up on this guy in this thread so I will not repeat.

Stastny, Andrej - C - 6’4 214 L - WHL - 32-10-20-30-40-(+2) - CS 185th NA skater
Who can’t use a 6’4’’ 215 lb. center? Passed over twice, he came to the DUB mid-year and showed flashes of why he should be drafted so high. May not show high on the NHL’s list as he has been reviewed before but is likely to show up on someone’s list in June. Check him out @ http://www.vancouvergiants.com/video/index/id/4c057930343b3b4c0b2db9ba4ed5524a

5th round and beyond
Dvurechensky, Nikita - LW - 6’3 187 L - KHL - 12-1-1-2-2-(-3) - NHL CS 139th EUR skater
Demonstrated he could play in small rinks and score at both the U20 where he picked up a gold medal and the Subway Super Series. Big, strong skater, a bury’em type shot - he has NHL type skills but is Russian - we shall see.

Noebels, Marcel - LW - 6’3 195 L - WHL - 66-28-24-52-23-(-1) - NHL CS 49th NA skater
What??? The NHL rates this overager higher than I do, unbelievable!!! Maybe, some WHL guys can tell me if I am being unduly harsh in my assessment of him. Big guy, talented, can find the net, nice hands - knock is that dreaded phrase “perimeter guy†Dan Sallows has a nice write-up on him @ http://dansallows.com/player-profile-marcel-noebels/

O’Brien, Zach - RW - 5’10 180 R - QMJHL - 58-29-36-67-0-(+27) - NHL CS unrated
As Sean Couturier’s Dad said @ http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/1370078
“Offensively he is one of the most talented players in the league. He will be a dominant player next year, that I am pretty sure. We took a chance on him last year when he didn't report to Rouyn-Noranda. We got him and (Christophe) Losier and (Gabriel) Levesque for Champion and we think we made a pretty good deal. We're very happy that he showed up here this year and show his talentsâ€. Passed over last year because he was still playing midget, he will need to make it on his offense because of his size, build and the fact he incurred “zero†penalties this year.

Jerabek, Jakub - D - 5’10 192 L - Cze-E - 41-1-6-7-20 - NHL CS 77th EUR skater
Had a good U20, will his size count against him or will someone take a flyer on him???

And of course, there are many others who could get the call:
Benjamin Conz - G - NHL CS 4th EUR goalie
Frans Thohimaa - G - NHL CS 6th EUR goalie
Jonas Gunnarson - G - NHL unrated EUR goalie
Michael Houser - G - NHL CS 19th NA goalie
Nikita Zaytsev - D - NHL CS 43rd EUR skater
Blake Coleman - C - NHL CS 198th NA skater
Mike Pereira - LW - NHL CS 114th NA skater
Dallas Ehrhardt -D - NHL CS unrated NA skater
Josh Shalla - LW - NHL CS unrated NA skater
And many others, some of which have been named in this thread

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Andrej Stastny - Huge frame and uses it well. Has great vision also. 3rd round and potential of a 2nd/3rd liner. Clowe type of player.

Marcel Noebels - Another player with great frame. Has really good set of hands too. 4th-6th round and potential of a bottom 6 grinder. Better version of Rupp.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I don't have a clue if they have a chance to be drafted but John Norman and Pathrik Westerholm should be picked up.

John Norman had a very impressive first season in SEL. He is very speedy, explosive and surprisingly good defensively. The last time a junior scored 17 points or more in SEL and didn't get drafted was 1991, so if he don't get drafted now the NHL-teams must really despise him.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7782

Pathrik Westerholm is a very interesting player. He and his (it seems) less talanted twin brother has put up crazy points together wherever they have played (national team, Superelit and Allsvenskan). The Westerholm actually plays like a really poor mans Sedins. They can stay in the offensive zone forever, passing it back and fourth, winning battles in the corners. And then they come up with quality chances. Allthough Pathrik have a good shot, it's his intelligence, playmaking ability and vision that seperates him from the pack. He will be a very productive player. Does he have what it takes to become a top-6 player in NHL? Some NHL-team should really take a chance and find out. He will however not work as a bottom-six player, since he is not very physical and could be better defensively.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13146

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Michael Houser, goalie for London Knights

from Bruins 2011 Draft Watch

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/03/sleepers-for-2011-draft.html

Michael Houser, G London (OHL)- American passed over in 2010 has stood on his head for the Knights over much of the season, proving that the solid play he exhibited as Mike Hutchinson's backup last season was a good indication of what he can provide. He was eligible for the 2010 draft by just two days with a Sep. 13 birthdate, so it wouldn't be like he is too much of an overager for a team to grab him the second time around. Has nice size and athleticism and was a workhorse for the Knights, playing in 54 games and posting a .904 save percentage. In our view, this kid has shown enough to get a call on draft day- nice developmental potential as a long-term project.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Josh Shalla is having an amazing season for Saginaw. 55 goals in 78 games in the OHL is pretty special production regardless of skating issues for a player of his size. I think a team would be silly to not take a chance on him.

The Fuhr*

Marek Hrivik
Andrej Stastny
Daniil Sobchenko
Nikita Dvurechensky

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'll have my annual list of OHL draft overagers out in a couple of weeks (waiting for a few more rounds of the OHL playoffs).

The OHL has some pretty good quality to offer this year in this area. IMO the top one from the OHL is either Andy Andreoff or Michael Houser, with the likes of Petgrave, Sadikov, among others slightly in the rear.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
From the NCAA, you have a couple of potential players in TJ Tynan and Chase Balisy. Tynan's numbers were fantastic, but I think Balisy is the better prospect. Some team like the Red Wings should draft Balisy. I think he could end up being a steal. Tynan is very small and not as quick as Gerbe, Gionta, etc. I would really like to see both guys get drafted this year.

Also, I think both are better prospects than Sahir Gill. I saw BU play more than any other NCAA team this year, and I think Gill is worth a flyer, but he is a long-shot to make the NHL IMO.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Chris Collins in Saskatoon will surely get a look. Good all around player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Jakub Jerabek looked great at the World Juniors captaining the Czechs. I wouldn't mind throwing a late-round pick his way.

Joey Laleggia had 82P in 58GP in the BCHL. The next closest defenseman had 56P. He's small (5'10, 180lbs) but is insanely skilled. He's committed to Denver University and if he isn't drafted in June I could see him go the route of Matt Gilroy - go undrafted, dominate offensively from the point and have teams lining-up to sign him. He'd be an excellent overage pick.

Is Niclas Burstrom still eligible to be drafted? Some Swedish hockey fans have said very good things about him. For example......

Anders Forsberg called Niclas Burström the best kept secret in swedish hockey in the early beginnings of the season and I remember somebody in saik, don't remember who it was said he had the highest hockey IQ in the Skellefteå organization.

This season Burström has been less mistake prone in the defensive zone than Rundblad, Erixon and even Larsson but he doesn't contribute as much offensively but he's only gotten to play pp recently and doing well, but he has played alot on the pk. He's totally in the shadow of the aforementioned youngsters but plays solid every game and is just as skilled as they are.

The guy is just too small to get drafted, thankfully I should say I'd like to keep at least one of our products.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad