GDT: OVER THE LINE! - Devils @ Stars, 8:30 PM, MSG

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Not sure what's wrong with some of you. The team is playing much better hockey the last five games than they did earlier in the season. We're not getting the breaks right now, but that's okay because our team play is much better.

some of us are still a little shook over the half-decade of abysmal hockey we just watched. that's literally it for me, personally.

every time we blow a lead or go down by two i'm still in the phase where the first thing in my mind, "f*** here we go again."

objectively, the only game over the last four that they looked shitty in was against the caps. i was thrilled at their response to going down by two goals twice last night and watched until the very end, whereas last year i would stop paying attention after the second.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
amazing how we NEVER score more than twice on bishop, we finally put in three on him, and two of dallas' goals were total ****ing implosions by us.

last night, despite the overall team play over the last month, was just so devils.
To be fair, two of our goals were crazy lucky

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
agreed. i mean with balanced out games in hand they could still feasibly be tied for 1st in the division

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Not sure what's wrong with some of you. The team is playing much better hockey the last five games than they did earlier in the season. We're not getting the breaks right now, but that's okay because our team play is much better.

Did we though? We thought we upgraded our defense with Vatanen and yet we are still giving up plenty of goals. Is the problem Kinkaid? Is it just all of our d-men? Until we figure out how to shut opponents out defensively, I don't think we'll go far in the playoffs (if we make it).

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Did we though? We thought we upgraded our defense with Vatanen and yet we are still giving up plenty of goals. Is the problem Kinkaid? Is it just all of our d-men? Until we figure out how to shut opponents out defensively, I don't think we'll go far in the playoffs (if we make it).
I just have one word for you.

Nasreddine.

Reactions: Darkauron

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Moral victories don’t count. Loosing 4 straight in this division is a big deal. Blowing multiple games that we should have won is a big deal. They don’t need to chill out that much.
Exactly we can run into a hole in a hurry, and that is where we are headed.

Reactions: mdj12784

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's kind of a lazy trope that some hockey fans think players don't change with time. Like how Lou signed Weekes in 2008 because he was really good against us in 2002, and how he pursued old concussed Clowe because he like him in his early 20's.

Greene *was* the best defender on the team for a long time, but to claim he still is today is like saying that Jagr is still the best forward in the NHL. It's pure madness to pretend he isn't floundering and that he isn't playing like a fringe NHL player at this point in his career. Can he recover? Probably, but unlikely.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just have one word for you.

Nasreddine.
I'll give you one better, even though this may fall on Nasreddine.

The Greene-Santini pairing. They get dominated unlike anything I've seen before. Eye test backs it up at this point. The other pairings get pinned SOMETIMES, but not nearly all the time like those two do.

If you match another pairing up against the top players from other teams, they might start getting pinned in a little more than they were, but there's no way it's as much as these guys.

Andy Greene is heavily declining right now, like really significantly declining. He ain't good enough to play these minutes or this kind of competition. It can't be ignored at this point. I maintain that he'll probably be at least decent for one more year (hopefully two) playing the minutes that Lovejoy gets when he's been in this year, but Greene is seriously worse this year than Lovejoy was last year. And Santini really isn't ready for this. If he ever is, it certainly isn't now.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's kind of a lazy trope that some hockey fans think players don't change with time. Like how Lou signed Weekes in 2008 because he was really good against us in 2002, and how he pursued old concussed Clowe because he like him in his early 20's.

Greene *was* the best defender on the team for a long time, but to claim he still is today is like saying that Jagr is still the best forward in the NHL. It's pure madness to pretend he isn't floundering and that he isn't playing like a fringe NHL player at this point in his career. Can he recover? Probably, but unlikely.
Wait a minute, somebody is arguing Greene is the best defenseman on the team right now? I can't reasonably say he's better than the fifth best defenseman on this team. Mueller might even be better now, we'll have to see when he gets back to get a better idea.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
AATJ ran a post today about accountability. They said Greene is the best defender on the team or something like that, this season. I don’t have an account there but I was tempted to create one just to ask what that author was smoking.
Okay, this is where that came from haha.

For a bunch of guys that claim they're really into advanced stats, I really can't believe that they'd say Greene is the best defenseman on the team. This site constantly cites analytics, yet they think Greene is still good? I know it's different writers and one's view doesn't necessarily represent the others, but even the eye test is telling us Greene isn't good anymore. All he does is defend.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Okay, this is where that came from haha.

For a bunch of guys that claim they're really into advanced stats, I really can't believe that they'd say Greene is the best defenseman on the team. This site constantly cites analytics, yet they think Greene is still good? I know it's different writers and one's view doesn't necessarily represent the others, but even the eye test is telling us Greene isn't good anymore. All he does is defend.

I suggest actually reading the article instead of just assuming.

The writer believes Severson is the best on the team, and that Greene and Vats are the only other two D that can even compete with him for best D on the team.

The overall point is Severson seems to be getting benched for mistakes while other guys aren’t, and it would be better if they just let everyone play through mistakes and don’t bench any of your best players.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I suggest actually reading the article instead of just assuming.

The writer believes Severson is the best on the team, and that Greene and Vats are the only other two D that can even compete with him for best D on the team.

The overall point is Severson seems to be getting benched for mistakes while other guys aren’t, and it would be better if they just let everyone play through mistakes and don’t bench any of your best players.
I don't think Greene can compete with either of them anymore.

Greene has gotten worse as the season has gone on. Eye test, advanced stats, everything is screaming at us that he isn't very good anymore.

He's not done, but I think he's WAY done as a top pairing guy.

There's no argument you can make to say he isn't way out of place as a top pairing guy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Greene can compete with either of them anymore.

Greene has gotten worse as the season has gone on. Eye test, advanced stats, everything is screaming at us that he isn't very good anymore.

He's not done, but I think he's WAY done as a top pairing guy.

There's no argument you can make to say he isn't way out of place as a top pairing guy.

It isn’t even the point of the article. They are talking about how Severson shouldn’t be benched.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
agree that he's done as a top pairing guy, but he's not being demoted from captain so he's going to be in every game this season and hopefully the coaches adapt. moore-vatanen has actually been a solid pairing aside from last nights horrific game for sami. but more of that, and maybe give santini a rest and have greene-severson see what they can do

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It isn’t even the point of the article. They are talking about how Severson shouldn’t be benched.
And I'd never disagree with that. If it happens once? Whatever, but there's no need for two games in a row.
agree that he's done as a top pairing guy, but he's not being demoted from captain so he's going to be in every game this season and hopefully the coaches adapt. moore-vatanen has actually been a solid pairing aside from last nights horrific game for sami. but more of that, and maybe give santini a rest and have greene-severson see what they can do
I don't think they should strip the C from him either, there's no point in it.

The only thing they should be stripping from him are some minutes off of his TOI and who he gets matched up against.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah my point was more of the salvador syndrome where he's going to be in the lineup every night whether he's the worst d in the lineup or not, which will be more of a problem if mueller comes back and regains his form from before

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->