over rating Stastny?

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
With the massive media attention and him being basically labeled the savior of the Blues.....are they just setting everyone up for disappointment? This board seems to be ok with 60+/-pt production. But how about the fan base in general given his salary?

This is a good opportunity to learn about what it means to say something is "overpriced." Whenever you buy anything, the market dictates what the chargeable amount actually is. It might take some time for things to adjust, but it will or it won't sell. Same thing with players. When teams are offering more for a player than what we paid, nobody can reasonably say we overpaid for him. But since the rest of the league effectively set the going rate, by definition even if we paid at the top of what others offered we didn't overpay.

Then you have to ask "compared to whom?" which is part of what defines this. Plenty of players make far more not because of their worth relative to other players in the league, but based on what they specifically do to increase their teams' chances of winning. Math doesn't care about bragging rights. We got what we needed which is a top center, fan excitement and increased merchandise sales. That amount will pay for itself rather quickly, especially if we go deep. This team has a new identity.

I tend to toss out fan expectations because largely, they're based on emotion. Also, they're all over the place so it's hard to pin down exactly what those expectations are. I do think by and large people that follow the team know that recently, we haven't been overvaluing our personnel so when we do break out the checkbook, it's for a good reason. All I think we really want as fans is for Stastny to make a big dent come playoff time.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I think you guys have a cup-winning roster at hand. A very good team that just filled its biggest need. I won't be surprised at all if you guys beat Chicago and/or LA next year, your top-6 forwards and top-4 D looks crazy good. Will be rooting for you guys in the west again.

Maybe the Blues DO have a "Cup winning roster" but so do 5-8 other teams in the Western Conference.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I think he makes our top 6 quite lethal. I really want to see Schwartz, Stastny and Frank all on the top line this year. The thought of that combination is totally scary in a good way. With that said, I think this is the year that Frank will really get to show the NHL world how good he really is. Last year he was bogged down playing with guys like Berglund, Roy, Morrow. We saw what happened when he was paired up with Schwartz. Just imagine a real center between them. Scary.

Oh yeah, then theres Osh Backes and Steen for the second line. Third line is solid. 4th line will continue to do it's thing. Im excited.

No Halak (thank god), finally get to see the ET/Allen tandem Ive been waiting to see for a long time now. Pumped.

I agree, this is how I want to see the lines come together.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Hitch will probably juggle lines for a good deal of the season, but I think we eventually go into the post season with Staz and the kids and the SOB line in-tact.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think you guys have a cup-winning roster at hand. A very good team that just filled its biggest need. I won't be surprised at all if you guys beat Chicago and/or LA next year, your top-6 forwards and top-4 D looks crazy good. Will be rooting for you guys in the west again.

Thanks for the kind words. I too believe the Blues have a team that CAN win the cup and CAN beat LA and CHI. The trouble is actually doing it when it counts.

If we see another season of Cali teams and CHI taking us to OT / us scraping by with wins I think we will be in trouble.

And yes, the Leafs will win sometime :)

jarmoismyhero

Mar 18, 2012
St. Louis
Most Blues fans are actually pretty smart fans, might just be the ones I know who are not casual fans, and I think everyone knows what to expect from the signing and I do not think many will be disappointed if he puts up 65 points.

Nobody should be expecting him to be a PPG center and I do not think many are.

Yoko Ono*

Stastny is not the solution for a successful playoff run, getting the soft Blues defense to play aggressively is the key and it won't happen with this group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad