Ovechkins wife calls out Russian fans

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
It gets out of hand when fans who are super-negative "Bench Kucherov!" are so stubborn and self-absorbed and want to be correct to the point where they're rooting against the player. Like in the NFL you can like a QB and a "fellow fan" of the same team who hates the QB will sit there waiting for that one moment to hurry up and criticize and say "see I was right" or even cheer when the guy gets hurt.

It does happen in the NHL too. One time I heard a "Blues fan" say "Mike Keenan was right about Chris Pronger, and man, it hurts me a lot to say that." He was HURT that his team traded for a great player because he didn't agree with the GM at the time. That is super bad faith.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Thankfully Ovechkin didn't have a chance to play in the 2018 olympic team. His presence in the team would have meant no gold for Russia.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
In hindsight I probably shouldn't have made the comment as it maybe could be misinterpreted the wrong way, not saying you did but i see how it could have been now.

I just am the type person who likes to watch how the media will run with certain themes and mantras depending on what political/social or military thing is going down, I get a kick out of it.

I probably goofed on that one because maybe what I meant does not come across on a message board so apoliges to anyone who may have got something different out of it.

"Strong woman" is so overused it is an empty platitude now, carrying less meaning about the subject than about the author. Golda Meir, Eleanor Roosevelt, Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Xena Warrior Princess - now those were strong women.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
"Strong woman" is so overused it is an empty platitude now, carrying less meaning about the subject than about the author. Golda Meir, Eleanor Roosevelt, Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Xena Warrior Princess - now those were strong women.
Yeah, the media kind of just throws it out there nonchalantly now, like they have to say it. Strong women are cool, but they stick the label on just about any woman who has an opinion on something now and over time it will dilute it's power when used in appropriate cases. The media tends to do that on so many subjects.

Anyway, just an observation, nothing against strong women whatsoever as I am sure you don't either, it's just interesting what the media does.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Because her name is Nastya? It's a normal name.

It should be noted that it's the shortened version of Anastasia.

And yes, she does hit the mark with some points. Even here several Russian posters in my opinion went too far with the team bashing. A few things need to be pointed out: there's a lot of offensive talent on that team. They displayed it at the tournament. Knock out stage is however different. One game can become a game of chess, especially on the big ice. Credit has to be given to the opponents. I think that some of the players probably should've turned down an invite because they might be really banged up after two playoff rounds, even just one. A big guy like Ovie, especially as he's getting older, needs more rest to recover in the summer and therefore I think he should turn down invites from now on occasionally. Russia can succeed without him.

Reactions: Ippenator

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
show me on the doll where the journalist touched you

no matter whether that comment came from her or from the head coach, it was a very prudent thing to say and communicated well.. for you to ignore it and lock onto that little bit shows that you're not too far off from those journalists you hate so much
Yeah, I think you read too much into that post.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Well, NHL fans bash their teams' players just as fervently, the only difference being the players are under contracts, so they can't be disposed of as easily. That's why the fans don't kick and scream until they're all gone.

With national teams, firing them all and starting anew is totally doable, hence the openly hateful attitude. Also, in NHL, you kinda progress towards the realization your team will blow this year and there will be no playoffs for you. And if you make the post-season, it again gives you a couple of games each series to grow accustomed to the fact you're getting squashed.

At WCH, you look great one game and then you're gone and forgotten because you lose the other. It's all way more sudden and ball-crunching and spirit-destroying.

Plus it's the national team, hence it's more emotional than "city teams" like in the NHL.

Reactions: Ippenator

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
If you look at the fact how arrogant some Russians like Kucherov conducted themselves at the tournament, I have got to say they totally deserve the fan backlash they got for not even beating Finland (with only NHL player on the roster). If you factor in that pretty much all of their avalible star players report every year they should dominate this tournament anually. Yet they seem to find a way to screw it up more often than not.

In what way was Kucherov arrogant?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad