Ovechkin's Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
Much has been made about how complete a player and how mature and developed Alexander Ovechkin is both in terms of his skills and his mental and physical attributes. He really is a man amongst boys. I'm just wondering, do you all think that maybe that means there's not as much room left for improvement and development of his skills and game since he seems to be so far along the learning curve? He should be able to hit the ground running as soon as he enters the league, but how much will he improve over time? A lot of prospects have great raw skills, but maybe they haven't put them all together and that gives you hope they'll really make great strides as they develop. Or maybe they've got the skills together but physically they still need to gain a lot of strength. Neither of these scenarios seem to apply to Ovechkin.

Just curious.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Blatny Spears said:
Much has been made about how complete a player and how mature and developed Alexander Ovechkin is both in terms of his skills and his mental and physical attributes. He really is a man amongst boys. I'm just wondering, do you all think that maybe that means there's not as much room left for improvement and development of his skills and game since he seems to be so far along the learning curve? He should be able to hit the ground running as soon as he enters the league, but how much will he improve over time? A lot of prospects have great raw skills, but maybe they haven't put them all together and that gives you hope they'll really make great strides as they develop. Or maybe they've got the skills together but physically they still need to gain a lot of strength. Neither of these scenarios seem to apply to Ovechkin.

Just curious.

I think he peaked about a year and a half ago and its been downhill ever since! :joker:

Seriously as he was top left winger while 60th in scoring in the RSL he must have some pretty awesome defensive play. Maybe he will own the Selke the way Bob Gainey did in the late 70's.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
In my opinion, he will be better than Kovalchuk. But like Ilya, he won't win the Calder, Kari Lehtonen will steal it to him.

I think he could be in the Maurice Richard trophy race as soon as next year.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
markov` said:
In my opinion, he will be better than Kovalchuk. But like Ilya, he won't win the Calder, Kari Lehtonen will steal it to him.

I think he could be in the Maurice Richard trophy race as soon as next year.

Maurice Richard?! Next year?! Even I don't say that! They call ME obsessed. :shakehead

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I think that Ovechkin will be a very unique player, combining elements reminiscent of a variety of different players, such as Lemieux, Jagr, Nolan, and Iginla.

stockwizard*

Yeah, well he better win his Rocket trophy quick because Crosby is being drafted in 2005.
If Ovechkin doesn't win it by 2006 I fear he never will.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
stockwizard said:
Yeah, well he better win his Rocket trophy quick because Crosby is being drafted in 2005.
If Ovechkin doesn't win it by 2006 I fear he never will.

I'm going to assume that's a joke and laugh anyhow. :lol

stockwizard*

No joke. I honestly feel by Crosby's second year he could win the Rocket trophy and seldom give it up for some time.
Of course he will need to be on the right team and have the right linemates.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
rob_paxon said:
I'm going to assume that's a joke and laugh anyhow. :lol

You must be new around here........... Anyway, as to the topic at hand, with the current state of scoring in the NHL, and with that likely not changing for awhile, I would say Ovechkin, with the right linemates and playing time could eventually score 45 goals and around 90 points in a career year.

TVanek26*

88 123 77....oh wait we're not talking about EHM here...

I think he will top out at 80-85 points.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Rabid Ranger said:
You must be new around here...........

Not quite, but it is hard to tell between the people who believe such crazy things and those that make fun of them at times. Sarcasm loses a bit in static text.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Epsilon said:
I think that Ovechkin will be a very unique player, combining elements reminiscent of a variety of different players, such as Lemieux, Jagr, Nolan, and Iginla.

Why stop with those four? You still have a good part of the hockey hall of fame left to throw in as well as players like Sakic currently playing . . . hell, slap some pads on him and he would run Luongo out of the building . . . put him behind the bench and he would outcoach any in the game even in broken english . . .

stockwizard*

Jaded-Fan said:
Why stop with those four? You still have a good part of the hockey hall of fame left to throw in as well as players like Sakic currently playing . . . hell, slap some pads on him and he would run Luongo out of the building . . . put him behind the bench and he would outcoach any in the game even in broken english . . .
:lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
stockwizard said:

No disrespect to AO intended, but please, some of the things posted about Him and/or Crosby are ridiculous . . . I saw a few clips on AO, one especially on the Pen's official site where he made two moves that made two defenders one right after another look silly before burying the puck was really impressive . . . he will be very good I think . . .but let us keep to reality . . . and we Pen's fans will wait before crowning Malkin (before he ever played in the NHL mind you) the best two way center to ever play hockey, walk on mars and cure cancer . . . deal?

Last edited:

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
EroCaps said:
In other words, Rostislav Olesz?

With a better all around game. Keep in mind I'm also taking into consideration the reduced scoring at the NHL nowdays. I'm not going out of my way to insult Ovechkin but that projection seems realistic to me. I could have an optimistic projection, but I chose to post my less optomistic one.

stockwizard*

sparkplug said:
With a better all around game. Keep in mind I'm also taking into consideration the reduced scoring at the NHL nowdays. I'm not going out of my way to insult Ovechkin but that projection seems realistic to me. I could have an optimistic projection, but I chose to post my less optomistic one.
70 points a year seems sensible to me. He might do a little better in a career year, but that seems like reasonable average.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
sparkplug said:

In other words, a pessimistic one. My realistic projection is somewhere around a PPG, with a 90+ career year(s). 70 pts doesn't fit Ovechkin's mold. If it did, he'd not have been chosen #1. Not surprising stockwizard agrees with you.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
EroCaps said:
In other words, a pessimistic one. My realistic projection is somewhere around a PPG, with a 90+ career year(s). 70 pts doesn't fit Ovechkin's mold. If it did, he'd not have been chosen #1. Not surprising stockwizard agrees with you.

No, I chose a middle of the road projection. By 70 points, I meant points in the seventies, I'm sorry, from what I've seen, I just don't see him as a player who's going to average 80+ points a year.

stockwizard*

I meant that as a career average, which isn't bad.
I'm sure he would have a career year higher, maybe 90 points.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
EroCaps said:

If he can be named top LW in the RSL at 18 while being 60th in scoring that has to mean exceptional defensive play with reasonable offence. Sounds lke a #1 pick to me if this proves to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->