Ovechkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
MOGiLNY said:
This is an 18 year old kid you are talking about. How many other 18 year olds are there in the World Cup this year?

Not only that, but this is the first time that he's playing at such a high level with all the NHL pros, and you expect him to be dominant? C'mon, give the kid a break.

And wasn't he voted as one of the top 3 forwards in the Russian League last year? If that's the case, then he hardly had a bad year.

Yes, Ovechkin won the Golden Helmet as the Best Left Wing of the Superleague, and also he was the youngest player in the history of Dynamo Moscow to lead the team in scoring.

CrazyFingers

He IS the "Real Deal" and is no pushover like CROSBY will be.

Just my $0.02

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
CrazyFingers said:
He IS the "Real Deal" and is no pushover like CROSBY will be.

Just my $0.02

Again, there is no way we'll know this until the day he's posted an full NHL season of superstar calibre. I can't believe people say this stuff, after the dozens, hundreds of "real deals" that have been busts.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Yes, Ovechkin won the Golden Helmet as the Best Left Wing of the Superleague, and also he was the youngest player in the history of Dynamo Moscow to lead the team in scoring.

That'a terrible name for a trophy! the Golden Helmet? I hope that's just a translation thing!

Anyway, I don't know how anyone call call him a bust since he hasn't even been to a practice with his NHL team. Give it a few years before you jump all over him. Look at what happened with so many players, but especially Joe Thornton. Or the opposite, Alex Daigle. I think he actually had a good rookie season. Look at him now - a bust as a 1st overall pick.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MOGiLNY said:
This is an 18 year old kid you are talking about. How many other 18 year olds are there in the World Cup this year?

Not only that, but this is the first time that he's playing at such a high level with all the NHL pros, and you expect him to be dominant? C'mon, give the kid a break.

And wasn't he voted as one of the top 3 forwards in the Russian League last year? If that's the case, then he hardly had a bad year.

It definately looks like Ovechkin won't be making the same impact Lindros did at the '91 Canada Cup............

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
wilka91 said:
Lecavalier sucks and he hasn't become a superstar yet. Ovechkin belongs to the same class as Heatley and Kovalcuk rather than Vinny.

:lol What has Ovechkin proven?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
When Ovechkin was named to the Russian team I posted that I thought it was premature.

In the World Champs, he was, hmm, good enough for 3rd or 4th line duty, but certainly out of his league on the top 2 lines, talent's there yes, but he wasn't imho good enough for a top 6 roster spot.
So I was stunned that Ovetchkin made the world cup team, as i still dont think he's good enough *now* for a top 6 roster spot and Russia surely has players better suited for bottom 6 roster spots.

With no small ice experience, and never having played against players as big as they are in the NHL, I think he's been thrown into the deep end too soon. I'd expect him to need several games before he adjusts to the NHL, and then once he's adjusted, light it up like Ruutu did for example..

but at this moment in time, too much too soon.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Raimo Sillanpää said:
When Ovechkin was named to the Russian team I posted that I thought it was premature.

In the World Champs, he was, hmm, good enough for 3rd or 4th line duty, but certainly out of his league on the top 2 lines, talent's there yes, but he wasn't imho good enough for a top 6 roster spot.
So I was stunned that Ovetchkin made the world cup team, as i still dont think he's good enough *now* for a top 6 roster spot and Russia surely has players better suited for bottom 6 roster spots.

Well, yes, they DO have other players who are perhaps better suited to play on the top lines.....the only problem is, those players refused to play.

Last edited:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Russian_fanatic said:

He has proven just about as much as he can outside the NHL. We'll have to wait to see what he does IN the NHL. You can hardly blame him for not having proven anything at the NHL level, seeing as he has never played there.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
wilka91 said:
Lecavalier sucks and he hasn't become a superstar yet. Ovechkin belongs to the same class as Heatley and Kovalcuk rather than Vinny.

Lecavalier is incredible, I'd like to see Ovechkin lead his team to a cup by the time he's 24...

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Raimo Sillanpää said:
With no small ice experience, and never having played against players as big as they are in the NHL, I think he's been thrown into the deep end too soon.

Nyet, nyet. You are incorrect. He HAS played on the smaller ice surface once. Where were the 2003 World Junior Championships? Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. NHL size ice surface.

How big do you think Russian Superleague players are? NHL size. Most of them are full grown men. It's a men's league, not a junior league.

So you see he has dealt with one or the other of these conditions, but never both at the same time. He he is having to adjust to having a smaller ice surface AND playing with adults, both at the same time.

I might also add that he has only played one exhibition game out of three, so you can hardly get a good idea of how he will adjust by looking at only one game, his first with both conditions to deal with.

But realistically, I don't expect much from him in this tournament, seeing as he got only 1 goal, 1 assist in the lesser World Championships tournament. What I'll be looking for is a good solid effort.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
cbjfan said:
I was at the US-Russia game last night and for whatever reason Ovechekin did not jump out at me like other younger players have in the past (Nash, Zherdev, Kovalachuk, Gaborik, etc.).

I agree that it is way to early to make an assessment, but I was disappointed that nothing about him excited me last night.

He's probably in awe that he is in a World Cup even before he is in the NHL. It wouldn't shock me if he didn't have a great World Cup.

Also, don't let the numbers in Russia fool you. That league hardly produces offense.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Foppa_Rules said:
There you go again, blaming him for not doing what he has never had a chance to do. :shakehead
You're really something you know that? I see you are good at taking posts out of their context and make them sound as though you're the smart one.

Russian_fanatic said:
and
jl.roberts said:
Lecavalier is incredible, I'd like to see Ovechkin lead his team to a cup by the time he's 24...

are replies to this illogical post :

wilka91 said:
Ovechkin has never had a chance to prove anything in the NHL yet but your fellow Russian fan can already say that Ovy is better than Lecavalier. Why didn't you question that stupidity instead? Talk about being biased...

High flyin' Habs*

Who has more potential? Ovechkin or Crosby? I for one dont know yet.

High flyin' Habs*

Canuck21t said:
You're really something you know that? I see you are good at taking posts out of their context and make them sound as though you're the smart one.

and

Ovechkin has never had a chance to prove anything in the NHL yet but your fellow Russian fan can already say that Ovy is better than Lecavalier. Why didn't you question that stupidity instead? Talk about being biased...

Agreed.

But I really think that Ovechkin has more potential than Vinny. Dont you think?

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
There you go again, blaming him for not doing what he has never had a chance to do. :shakehead

Just like people are saying he's the "real deal" without having proven anything.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
smoothskater said:
Agreed.

But I really think that Ovechkin has more potential than Vinny. Dont you think?
i haven't seen ovechkin play much, but i highly doubt it. very few, if any, players have as high a potential as lecavalier.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i haven't seen ovechkin play much, but i highly doubt it. very few, if any, players have as high a potential as lecavalier.

What is Lecavalier's potential and what is Oveckin's potential?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MOGiLNY said:
what are you trying to prove?

I'm not trying to prove anything, since it's a little premature to suggest what kind of career Ovechkin will have. IMO though, he is not the end all many are claiming to be.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Canuck21t said:

and

Don't try to make me responsible for the posts of other Russian fans. They are entitled to their opinions, but don't try to merge my opinions with theirs and draw outlandish conclusions from your unscientific attemps to argue your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->