Ovechkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
Was he over hyped? He has not had a good year at all. In fact, what has he really done since he was 16 years old? For all the praise he has gotten he sure looked lost in the World Championships this year, and he did not look like the number one pick last night. Everyone is trying to make excuses for him. My point is, at least in my view, he is not playing up to his billing. Enough excuses, lets see some results. I think that much of his hype is based on what he did at 16. Who really cares what he did at 16???

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
OK, don't you think you're little bit too harsh?
We don't know yet. It will take time to see how good he actually is. After all, nobody expects from him to be the best player on the team. Wait at least till the end of the world cup.
Is he overrated? Not sure, but I don't think so.

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
I was at the US-Russia game last night and for whatever reason Ovechekin did not jump out at me like other younger players have in the past (Nash, Zherdev, Kovalachuk, Gaborik, etc.).

I agree that it is way to early to make an assessment, but I was disappointed that nothing about him excited me last night.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
cbjfan said:
I was at the US-Russia game last night and for whatever reason Ovechekin did not jump out at me like other younger players have in the past (Nash, Zherdev, Kovalachuk, Gaborik, etc.).

I agree that it is way to early to make an assessment, but I was disappointed that nothing about him excited me last night.

Those other young players never played at a World Championship Game.

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
----------------------------------------------------------------

cbjfan said:

He seems to be able to be pushed off the puck quite easily.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
EroCaps said:
Which is one of Ovechkin's many strengths. One game. He's 18.
Getting pushed off the puck is a strength?

Yeah, it's one game. 40 games isn't even enough. Give him until he's age 23 and you'll see where he's at.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
moneyp said:
Getting pushed off the puck is a strength?

Yeah, it's one game. 40 games isn't even enough. Give him until he's age 23 and you'll see where he's at.

Ovechkin's skating strength is very highly touted. He hits people off the puck, not vice versa.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I went to last night's game and I didn't think he played too badly. He didn't play a ton after the first, but when he did he mixed it up a few times. I also saw him during practice and he stood out there from the others. Just give the kid some time. He'll be solid.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Keep in mind he's not only playing in his first pro games in North America, but against national teams comprised of among the world's very best players. Bit of an adjustment, I would think.

Personally, I suspect it will take him as long as it has taken Vincent LeCavalier to get comfortable and strut his stuff, which is to say a number of years. Give him time... certainly trying to make an evaluation after the first game in which North Americans have been able to see him play seems a tad premature.

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Lecavalier sucks and he hasn't become a superstar yet. Ovechkin belongs to the same class as Heatley and Kovalcuk rather than Vinny.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The example was merely to provide a recent example of a top drafted player who has had ultimate NHL success, whose development took a few years, rather than comparing skill sets. I happen to be high on Ovechkin, but that reference to Lecavalier is only going to start a flame war, and I can't see why it was necessary. Not too many would concur that Lecavalier "sucks." I know I disagree with that assessment. It merely took a few years for him to develop. Nothing wrong with that.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Lecavalier sucks and he hasn't become a superstar yet. Ovechkin belongs to the same class as Heatley and Kovalcuk rather than Vinny.
First you say to wait at least 40 regular season games before judging and now you're already assuming Ovechkin is better than Lecavalier? I don't get it, please explain.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Remember that Markus Näslund was more or less considered a complete bust his first 6 years in the league. It wasn't until his 7th season he started producing anything and now he's one of the best players in the league.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
wilka91 said:

He has a Stanley Cup ring and more than pulled his own weight getting it.

As for what class Ovechkin belongs to, you have no clue. You are making a guess. Only way for him to find out is actually by playing in the NHL.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
DOn't expect Ovechkin to lead the tournament in scoring. If he only got 1 goal 1 assist in the World Championships, I wouldn't expect much in the way of stats in the World Cup. Just look for effort.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Exactly. But if he gets an opportunity on a breakaway ... I predict a goalie's nightmare :)

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
This is an 18 year old kid you are talking about. How many other 18 year olds are there in the World Cup this year?

Not only that, but this is the first time that he's playing at such a high level with all the NHL pros, and you expect him to be dominant? C'mon, give the kid a break.

And wasn't he voted as one of the top 3 forwards in the Russian League last year? If that's the case, then he hardly had a bad year.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Exactly. But if he gets an opportunity on a breakaway ... I predict a goalie's nightmare :)
You're not gonna answer my question? Why do you tell people to wait at least 40 regular season games before judging, but you can already assume that Ovechkin is better than Lecavalier? Please care to explain why others can't but you can.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MOGiLNY said:
This is an 18 year old kid you are talking about. How many other 18 year olds are there in the World Cup this year?

Not only that, but this is the first time that he's playing at such a high level with all the NHL pros, and you expect him to be dominant? C'mon, give the kid a break.

And wasn't he voted as one of the top 3 forwards in the Russian League last year? If that's the case, then he hardly had a bad year.

Exactly. I know this is a prospects board but some of the posters here have unrealistic expectations on what just drafted players can do. If Ovechkin can do ok in this tournament (mainly defensively, because I think it will be hard for him to shine offensively) it will be huge accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad