Ovechkin Wins Eighth Career Rocket Richard Trophy

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
You could say that but it would be false.

Ovi has 19 PPP which is tied for 20th in the league and 11 PPG which is tied for 6th, along with 5 other players.

He is 34 in PPP despite having a huge edge on all other forwards in PP TOI.

Since he plays more on the PP one would think he might produce more?

He does lead the league in ESG, along with Jeff skinner at 28 goals.
His PP TOI is increased because Caps have no better solution on his spot on PP2. I doubt coach looks at his rankings among other best pp players in the league when deciding his PP TOI.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
It's not too late for Patrik Laine to close the gap and win this trophy for the first time in his career. Let me tell you why.

Patrik Laine is my favorite player. He's a good goal scorer. He's handsome. He gets all the ladies. If Auston Matthews is the Tom Brady of hockey, Patrik Laine is the Auston Matthews of firing lethal slapshots towards opposing goaltenders.

I believe in him. And here's why:

he's unpredictable.

My father could call me and tell me two things. He could tell me that 1) my aunt got hit by a bus and 2) Patrik Laine just scored six goals against the New York Islanders.

And I would be like: "bullshit... auntie aint got hit by no bus, why you always lying".

Because Patrik Laine scoring six goals in one game isn't unbelievable. Seven goals... maybe.

You walk up to me right now and tell me that Patrik Laine held a private press conference and told EVERYBODY that he's going to lead the league in goals by the end of next week. I'd be like: "yeah, entirely possible, why did he invite all of 'em reporters though?"

We could see this kid score anywhere between 1 and 6 goals a game, every game, game after a game, for the next ten games. And then he could go cold again. Vanish. Poof. Like a magic trick.

But he would still lead the league in goals. Even if it's for a brief time.

And then he would do it all again. 10 goals in 4 games. And he's back in the race.

But hear me out, fellas.

This is exactly what the league needs. Someone you can't count out, not just yet. Even if he's trailing by 15 goals. Someone that you know, deep down in your heart, that could win the trophy. Even if he has only five games left... and 20 goals to score. But you can't count him out. No, not just yet.

I believe that once he starts to score, it's over for the other guys. He'll take this situation as a challenge. "How long can I suck... and still win this trophy". I don't know fellas. But the way I see it, this trophy is still Patrik Laine's to lose.

Reactions: pi314 and drs151

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
No one talking about Draisaitl slowly inching his way to the top? Ohhh yeah that's right he is a product of mcdavid .

Ovechkins got guys like backstrom or carlson kuznetzov and oshie helping him score

Skinner also has Eichel Reinhardt and Dahlin

And Kane of course has toews Keith and this year Gustafson who is having a fantastic year out of know where .

Guess it's only the Oilers players who benefit from who they play beside. Everyone else obviously does it on there own

Reactions: Crude

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
He can do it man. All he needs is 25 goals in his last 23 games to hit 50.

If Gretzky scored at a 94 goal pace, (82 game season of today) then Laine can easily score at an 89 goal pace from here on out.

Reactions: The Macho Man

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
No one talking about Draisaitl slowly inching his way to the top? Ohhh yeah that's right he is a product of mcdavid .

Ovechkins got guys like backstrom or carlson kuznetzov and oshie helping him score

And Kane of course has toews Keith and this year Gustafson who is having a fantastic year out of know where .

Guess it's only the Oilers players who benefit from who they play beside. Everyone else obviously does it on there own
You're disrupting the popular narrative.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
People sleeping on stamkos in here.

Not really. Assuming you need 50 to win the RR that means he still needs 18 goals in his last 23 games to get there. That's an even better pace than his current 8 in 11 games is.

You figure too that the team might give him a game or two off as well.

I don't think anyone is sleeping on him.

Reactions: gtrower

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Patrik Laine for the Rickhard for sure. I mean he will probably put some hat tricks again. He has like 3 this season so far? And maybe 5 goals in a game too. You never know. He is kinda player that you donät know whats gonna happen. Could be 0 points for 20 games or 30 goals for 10 games. Hell i Don't know. He is like a joker :D

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I doubt ppl don't talk about him because he's a product of McDavid. He's just less popular.

Draisaitl has also never scored 40. He's never scored 50. Does that mean he can't get 50? Of course not. He might very well be having a career year or this might be the norm for him from here on out.

People will start talking about him when he gets within 1-2 goals of the leader.

At this point he is an unknown and that's the main reason he isn't getting talked about.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
His PP TOI is increased because Caps have no better solution on his spot on PP2. I doubt coach looks at his rankings among other best pp players in the league when deciding his PP TOI.

The thing is that he has always been the TOI leader on Washington throughout his career regardless of other options.

Other players on teams with even less options, like Edmonton don't even put their to 2 guys out on the PP as much as Ovechkin, it's a simple fact and it helps him get points hard to get around that.

The thing is that this will be the 3rd season in a row where he is going to dip in PP goals and he has only averaged 9 PP assists the last 4 years and has 8 this year, when PP scoring is up drastically.

He is going to win the Richard still IMO but not sure if it will happen again after this year.

Top 10 scoring finishes are over for him and this might be his last year in the top 20 as well, if he maintains the pace.

He is currently tied for 17th place in scoring.

Last edited:

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Patrik Laine will win

Will Laine even hit 30 goals? He's not winning the RR.

Laine is tied for 29th in goals.

He has 14 goals to make up in 23 games. Not to score... but to make up. Even if Ovechkin goes ice cold, he's not going to beat all the other players in front of him.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Why support cast matters? It's not Hart trophy.

That’s just a really dumb take.

You only have to go back to his very last goal. Without that terrific pass from Kuznetsov, Ovechkin never scores that goal.

To say your supporting cast doesn’t help you score goals is asinine.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

You only have to go back to his very last goal. Without that terrific pass from Kuznetsov, Ovechkin never scores that goal.

I think he''s trying to say that the winner is simply the player that has the most goals and it's not a subjective award like the Hart.

Of course a good supporting cast helps you score goals, but they don't award the trophy based on who had the most impressive goal scoring season among players with weaker supporting casts.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

It's the Rocket Richard, no one cares who your supporting cast is, they only care who has the most goals.

Reactions: pezpunk

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
It's not too late for Patrik Laine to close the gap and win this trophy for the first time in his career. Let me tell you why.

Patrik Laine is my favorite player. He's a good goal scorer. He's handsome. He gets all the ladies. If Auston Matthews is the Tom Brady of hockey, Patrik Laine is the Auston Matthews of firing lethal slapshots towards opposing goaltenders.

I believe in him. And here's why:

he's unpredictable.

My father could call me and tell me two things. He could tell me that 1) my aunt got hit by a bus and 2) Patrik Laine just scored six goals against the New York Islanders.

And I would be like: "bull****... auntie aint got hit by no bus, why you always lying".

Because Patrik Laine scoring six goals in one game isn't unbelievable. Seven goals... maybe.

You walk up to me right now and tell me that Patrik Laine held a private press conference and told EVERYBODY that he's going to lead the league in goals by the end of next week. I'd be like: "yeah, entirely possible, why did he invite all of 'em reporters though?"

We could see this kid score anywhere between 1 and 6 goals a game, every game, game after a game, for the next ten games. And then he could go cold again. Vanish. Poof. Like a magic trick.

But he would still lead the league in goals. Even if it's for a brief time.

And then he would do it all again. 10 goals in 4 games. And he's back in the race.

But hear me out, fellas.

This is exactly what the league needs. Someone you can't count out, not just yet. Even if he's trailing by 15 goals. Someone that you know, deep down in your heart, that could win the trophy. Even if he has only five games left... and 20 goals to score. But you can't count him out. No, not just yet.

I believe that once he starts to score, it's over for the other guys. He'll take this situation as a challenge. "How long can I suck... and still win this trophy". I don't know fellas. But the way I see it, this trophy is still Patrik Laine's to lose.

Delivery 8/10
Content 5/10
Humour 5/10
Effort 10/10
How I’m entertained 6/10

I’ve wasted more time than this on a Sunday. Not bad sir

Randyne

May 20, 2012

Players primary assistants from your list:

Alex Ovechkin's
primary assistants
A1Patrick Kane's
primary assistants
A1Leon Draisaitl's
primary assistants
A1Jeff Skinner's
primary assistants
A1
John Carlson9Artem Anisimov8Connor McDavid16Jack Eichel13
Nicklas Backstrom7Erik Gustafsson6Milan Lucic4Sam Reinhart8
Evgeny Kuznetsov5Jonathan Toews5Alex Chiasson3Rasmus Ristolainen4
Tom Wilson3Henri Jokiharju3Adam Larsson2Jason Pominville3
Christian Djoos2Brandon Saad2Ryan Nugent-Hopkins2Rasmus Dahlin2
Dmitry Orlov2Brent Seabrook2Zack Kassian2Evan Rodrigues1
Michal Kempny2Alex DeBrincat2Caleb Jones1Jake McCabe1
Nic Dowd2David Kampf1Darnell Nurse1Marco Scandella1
T.J. Oshie2Dominik Kahun1Drake Caggiula1Tage Thompson1
Unnassisted2Drake Caggiula1Jujhar Khaira1Unnassisted1
Brett Connolly1Dylan Sikura1Tobias Rieder1--
Jakub Vrana1Dylan Strome1Ty Rattie1--
Jonas Siegenthaler1Nick Schmaltz1----
--Unnassisted1----
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
AO and PK benefit from their linemates evenly, LD is heavily dependent on one player, JS on two.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->