Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
1. Ovechkin: 36 goals (49 GP)
2. Skinner: 30 goals (48 GP)
2. Tavares: 30 goals (48 GP)
2. Point: 30 goals (49 GP)
5. Four players have 29 goals.
Have a hard time seeing Skinner keep it up, although this just might be his season. You'd think JT would be the biggest threat among those w/30. The quartet w/29 not only has McD but two other young studs plus Kane.

Ovi with 36G in 49GP. Say he makes 80GP (misses 1 due to ASG and another near end of season/ minor injury), he's on a pace for a bit under 59 goals :bow: If he finishes close to that his chances for an 8th RR look good :popcorn:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I agree he shouldn’t lose it but he’s not being consistent at all anymore, unless it’s staying off the score sheet lol and I’m an ovi fan

Uh......... How can you be an Ovechkin fan and not understand exactly how consistent he has been for the vast majority of his career?

Reactions: pezpunk

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I agree he shouldn’t lose it but he’s not being consistent at all anymore, unless it’s staying off the score sheet lol and I’m an ovi fan
He must be off the score sheet less than his Rocket competitors given he has a 6G lead :oops:
Be interesting to run some basic variation stats - standard deviation and a few other more robust measures of variation - among the top 10-20 goal scorers.

I doubt Ovi would be at the top of inconsistency. I'd guess middle of the pack. Laine, who I like, might be the inconsistent leader among the top snipers. That 5 spot and all those zeros will jack up most any measure of variation :snide:

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Over Ovechkins career only around 10 % of his goal totals have come from hattricks so far. This year he's going to end up with a significantly higher hattrick contribution (at 25 % so far). In that sense yes, you could argue he has become more of a "bunch scorer" than earlier in his career.

He still seems to score more regularly than other players it seems. And, most importantly, he keeps scoring more than others. I doubt anyone is going to score 7 goals more than Ovechkin in the 2nd half of the season.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I think it's more likely that Ovi wins the Rocket by 5+ goals than he loses it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pezpunk

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
He must be off the score sheet less than his Rocket competitors given he has a 6G lead :oops:
Be interesting to run some basic variation stats - standard deviation and a few other more robust measures of variation - among the top 10-20 goal scorers.

I doubt Ovi would be at the top of inconsistency. I'd guess middle of the pack. Laine, who I like, might be the inconsistent leader among the top snipers. That 5 spot and all those zeros will jack up most any measure of variation :snide:
I'd say the inconsistency has more to do with the Caps than Ovechkin himself, they've been awful for over 10 games now and the PP has been worse for longer.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I could see Skinner staying near the top of the rankings with it being a contract year, and Eichel feeding him. Looks like Ovechkin is pulling away though. Goat goal scorer.

Reactions: TopCheese

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Laine still at 25 after 50 games.

He will need to go on a 64 goal pace from here on out in order to hit 50 goals.

He's in a massive slump. That said, I honestly would not be shocked if he scores 30 or 50. You just don't know what you'll get from him. 18 goals a month or 1. :laugh:

Reactions: varank

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I could see Skinner staying near the top of the rankings with it being a contract year, and Eichel feeding him. Looks like Ovechkin is pulling away though. Goat goal scorer.

I expected Skinner to fall off over the last month or two but he just keeps chugging along.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, I don't see this inconsistency either. I suppose you could argue that his lead is mainly due to multigoal games, but that doesn't make him any less consistent than the other players really. Just even looking at games with a goal, Ovi has 25 in 50 games this year. Skinner has 24 in 49, Tavares 23 in 49, Point has 23 in 49, Gaudreau has 22 in 51, McDavid has 24 in 49, Kane has 19 in 50, and Landeskog has 23 in 50. His longest drought is a bit longer than some others, but it was only 6 games (conpared to 5 for Tavares, 4 for Skinner, and 7 for Point). Seems like pretty average consistency among the top scorers this year, he's just also put up more hattricks.

Compare that to Laine, who only has goals in 15 of 50 games, and has had 4 goalless streaks of 5+ games

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
So I'm guessing Ovechkin is more consistent, and Skinner is expected to fall off. Ok, let's see which happens.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yea, I don't see this inconsistency either. I suppose you could argue that his lead is mainly due to multigoal games, but that doesn't make him any less consistent than the other players really. Just even looking at games with a goal, Ovi has 25 in 50 games this year. Skinner has 24 in 49, Tavares 23 in 49, Point has 23 in 49, Gaudreau has 22 in 51, McDavid has 24 in 49, Kane has 19 in 50, and Landeskog has 23 in 50. His longest drought is a bit longer than some others, but it was only 6 games (conpared to 5 for Tavares, 4 for Skinner, and 7 for Point). Seems like pretty average consistency among the top scorers this year, he's just also put up more hattricks.

Compare that to Laine, who only has goals in 15 of 50 games, and has had 4 goalless streaks of 5+ games

Dude you've been providing some pretty good data lately.

Reactions: Sam Spade

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Ovechkin: 37 goals (50 GP)
P.Kane: 31 goals (51 GP)
Skinner: 31 goals (51 GP)
Tavares: 30 goals (50 GP)
McDavid: 30 goals (50 GP)
Point: 30 goals (51 GP)
Pastrnak: 30 goals (51 GP)