Status
Not open for further replies.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
clefty said:
Their prospect talent is just as good as the Jackets'

I didnt know that people in the top 3 of NHL Goal Scoring were so easy to find...

Do all teams have a prospect playing as a number 1 Goalie in the NHL at this point?

I must not know hockey or something...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
La-La-Laprise said:
PITT does Lack high-end prospects. But Pitt has great depth. Where as Columbus is the other way around.

Just remember, Columbus has been in the league 4 Years. They havent had time to build up the prospect depth of the other teams...

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Zherdev Fan said:
I didnt know that people in the top 3 of NHL Goal Scoring were so easy to find...

Do all teams have a prospect playing as a number 1 Goalie in the NHL at this point?

Oh, come on.

Just because you have one player who is top 3 and one other who is a starting goalie, doesn't make your prospect pool better than another team. Just because a prospect is more NHL ready than another, that doesn't make him a better prospect.

By the way, Penguins prospect Sebastien Caron is playing as the teams No.1 goalie. As did Chiodo when he was here. And Fleury.

Oh, and I didn't think that people who were top 3 in rookie scoring were easy to find.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Ovechkin w/ Semin...

Sounds like a plan!

Or... Malkin would fit well.

Should move up and try to take both, even though it would take a lot and probably not likely.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Evilo said:
That I don't doubt. But it has nothing to do with their OUTSTANDING prospect crop.

As for high end prospects, you don't get much better than Fleury/Whitney/Welch/Anshakov.
And of course one of the less known guys could develop into something more than first thought (Talbot, Bartschi, Stone, Nemec, Malenkhyk, etc...).

MA Fleury is great, but hasn't Whitney looked awful this year? I'm not so sure I'd call Welch and Anshakov "high-end prospects" either. The Caps and Pens are in the same boat regarding prospect volume, but...

Semin, Fehr, Sutherby, Aulin, Fleischmann, Eminger, Morrisonn, Ouellet, Yonkman, Gordon, Klepis, Laich, Fussey etc. is the deepest and most rounded pool of talent IMO.

I mean, you've got to consider the source, ;)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Zherdev Fan said:

why is the team not getting better? some even had that team penciled in as a possible playoff team this year.

SwOOsh*

EroCaps said:
MA Fleury is great, but hasn't Whitney looked awful this year? I'm not so sure I'd call Welch and Anshakov "high-end prospects" either. The Caps and Pens are in the same boat regarding prospect volume, but...

Semin, Fehr, Sutherby, Aulin, Fleischmann, Eminger, Morrisonn, Ouellet, Yonkman, Gordon, Klepis, Laich, Fussey etc. is the deepest and most rounded pool of talent IMO.

Especially with our 3 first rounders this year (one a top 3 probably) it will be interesting to see after the draft ;)

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
EroCaps said:

Nah, Whitney was his teams scoring leader this year. He had a very nice season indeed.

I hold Anshakov in a very high regard. His play for his club side has been very commendable, and its not easy for prospects to earn ice time under Tikhonov and Red Army. He was reportedly outplaying Zherdev when he was there, and arguably outplayed Ovechkin at the WJC's.

I think the Capitals and Penguins are in the top 3 in terms of prospects. I'd probably put the Penguins ahead in terms of depth. Going by Hockeys Future's rankings, they didn't have Stephen Dixon figure in our top 20, a guy who was good enough to make the Canadian WJC team, no less. But in terms of quality, I'd give the nod to the Caps.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hope they get him because aside of Fleury they don't really have a great bunch of prospect.
Biased Pens fan here, and I disagree.

No,i'm not kidding.If they don't get him its gonna be another long season for the pens(if there is one),
That doesn't make much sense. Prospect depth and short-term success are two separate entities, IMO. It's not like if Columbus gets Ovechkin, they're gonna be in the playoffs next season. They're still a not so good team.

EroCaps said:
I thought Pitt. lacked high-end prospect depth.
I agree with this, but I still think they've got one of the better pools in the NHL. And it goes from goaltending out, which I like. They may only have one bluechipper, but it's at the position that counts the most.

They're winning tons right now, and not because they have a couple of elite young players that are carrying them (Nash and Zherdev for example) but rather because they have about a dozen solid-but-unspectacular young players that are contributing nightly.
Outside of Ryan Malone, who I consider to be at least a borderline blue chipper.

And if the Penguins don't get Ovechkin, it's not like they won't get anybody. They'll still get Malkin or whoever. Either one would be icing on the proverbial cake, considering that, in the grand scheme of things, goal scoring has been one aspect that the Penguins have NOT struggled at this season.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm more scared of the team who ends up with Crosby, personally. If you think Forsberg can affect a game..you gotta see this guy. Whoever ends up with him will have a lot of cup contention years ahead of them imo.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Sting004 said:
I'm more scared of the team who ends up with Crosby, personally. If you think Forsberg can affect a game..you gotta see this guy. Whoever ends up with him will have a lot of cup contention years ahead of them imo.
I agree!

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Dark Metamorphosis said:
why is the team not getting better? some even had that team penciled in as a possible playoff team this year.

Lack of a good coach.

Lack of a Defensive System

Veterns who dont care...

Scott Lachance and Luke Richardson

fatnickmo

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
I think it would be interesting to see the Rangers get that first pick. Would they keep it try what Quebec did?

What could they get?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I don't really care if it is Columbus or Pitt who wind up w/ the big O.

I just don't want him to go to a team like Chicago, where Wertz doesn't care about fans or hockey, NY where they have tons of money but have really mismanaged the team or Washington - see NY.

I really hope that he goes to the Bluejackets, but he may be able to save the team in Pitt if he winds up there.

Here is a question: Say Washington winds up the 3rd pick and Pitt/Columbus winds up w/ the 1st. Would you as a GM of Pitt/Columbus be willing to trade the 1st to Washington in exchange for 3 1sts, one being the 3rd overall?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
OK---let CBJ get lucky and win the lotto or retain the pick at #1 if they finish last but the lotto is won by pre-lotto team #6 or further down to #14.......let them have Ovechkin---:

Actually--they need to start building their D-corps --barring UFA acquisitions they won't be able to stop anyone and likely be on the bottom several more yearsuntil they fix that up...

Anyway OVECHKIN has pulled off a Pavel Vorobiev = after an impressive 1st half of the RSL season for Dynamo --he was a non-factor in the 2nd half as his goal production fell to I believe only 3 or 4 since he got back from the WJHC U-20...He didn't score in the playoffs either as Dynamo bowed outin 3 straight...This is a superstar?

Let them have Ovechkin--the REAL DISASTER (for everyone else including my beloved Blackhawks) would be CBJ getting CROSBY in the next draft after this one;I'll gladly let them have Ovechkin--just give my Hawks Malkin or Olesz from this draft + Crosby in the next one --then lets see who's going to chirp...

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Frenzy1 said:
I don't really care if it is Columbus or Pitt who wind up w/ the big O.

I just don't want him to go to a team like Chicago, where Wertz doesn't care about fans or hockey, NY where they have tons of money but have really mismanaged the team or Washington - see NY.

I really hope that he goes to the Bluejackets, but he may be able to save the team in Pitt if he winds up there.

Here is a question: Say Washington winds up the 3rd pick and Pitt/Columbus winds up w/ the 1st. Would you as a GM of Pitt/Columbus be willing to trade the 1st to Washington in exchange for 3 1sts, one being the 3rd overall?

It's a possibility. But I'd much rather trade for Malkin in that case and keep our two late firsts, and use them on Fransson, and Lyamin/Hedman.

Pittsburgh is more likely to keep the pick. Columbus may rather have Barker, as Nash and Zherdev mature, their defense is wanting.

leafaholix*

Frenzy1 said:
No.

Ovechkin is so much better then anyone who goes at #3.

It's like...

1. Alexander Ovechkin
-
2. Evgeny Malkin
-
-
-
-
3. Anyone else.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Frenzy1 said:

I'd say no to that deal and try to see if I could do better. Given that this draft is allegedly not that deep, I'd be more tempted if someone were to offer some good prospects that already are established along with a pick (or some sort of combination).

Maybe my eyes are too big as a Columbus fan, but IF the CBJ get the pick and IF they decide to move it they better get a Lindros-like fortune for it, something that'll turn them into the next Avs with some good management ...

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Frenzy1 said:

Eh I doubt it...even though im sure McPhee would rather draft Malkin or Ovechkin, if they're not available at 3rd overall and Barker is, McPhee will take him...the caps might take dmen with all 3 picks b/c outside of Eminger and Morrison, we dont have much on the blueline...Cutta is taking forever to develop and Yonkman might be a keeper if he can stay healthy...all of our trades this year were for foward prospects so that might be hinting at that the Caps are looking to draft Barker and/or make this year's draft dmen oriented...not to mention Barker plays in the WHL and if you look at our prospects, like 90% have seen playing time in the WHL

McPhee might part with one of his 1st rounders in a package to move a spot to get either malkin or ovechkin, but thats a long stretch...if columbus is sitting at 2nd overall, will they take barker? I've read on here that he's the player they're most interested in

Malkin would be the best case scenario for the Caps

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
BMWM3owner said:
Eh I doubt it...even though im sure McPhee would rather draft Malkin or Ovechkin, if they're not available at 3rd overall and Barker is, McPhee will take him...the caps might take dmen with all 3 picks b/c outside of Eminger and Morrison, we dont have much on the blueline...Cutta is taking forever to develop and Yonkman might be a keeper if he can stay healthy...all of our trades this year were for foward prospects so that might be hinting at that the Caps are looking to draft Barker and/or make this year's draft dmen oriented...not to mention Barker plays in the WHL and if you look at our prospects, like 90% have seen playing time in the WHL

McPhee might part with one of his 1st rounders in a package to move a spot to get either malkin or ovechkin, but thats a long stretch...if columbus is sitting at 2nd overall, will they take barker? I've read on here that he's the player they're most interested in

Malkin would be the best case scenario for the Caps

Doug MacLean hasn't showed his hand. On his weekly radio show last week, he said the top four players were
Ovechkin
then, in no particular order, Malkin, Barker and Radulov (sp?).

All of us armchair scouts think Barker is the way to go for the CBJ if they're not at 1, given their lack of defensive depth compared to their healthier collection of forwards.
MacLean's motto is best player available.

Time will tell.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This echoes some of what has already been said (nice thread everyone, btw), but while the bottom four teams that appear to have a shot at the #1 overall pick -- Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington, Chicago -- would each select Ovechkin without blinking an eye, it is probably Cam Barker who could most ably fill a team need. Just about every scout projects him to be a solid top-two pairing defenseman, and while he may not develop as quickly nor be as flashy a player as Ovechkin, down the line Cam Barker is likely to be a lynchpin sort of two-way defenseman. A rock.

I know that while I would hardly be upset should the Caps land Ovechkin, the player I really want them to draft is Barker.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
Doug MacLean hasn't showed his hand. On his weekly radio show last week, he said the top four players were
Ovechkin
then, in no particular order, Malkin, Barker and Radulov (sp?).

All of us armchair scouts think Barker is the way to go for the CBJ if they're not at 1, given their lack of defensive depth compared to their healthier collection of forwards.
MacLean's motto is best player available.

Time will tell.
'

Most people use the BPA method. However, I tend to think that a team w/ top 5 pick should decide if help is needed right away - D men tend to need time to develop (average 3-4 years) while many forwards drafted early can provide help later that season. And how does someone rate potential?

I also believe in a tier system, 1st tier, 2nd etc. Beyond Ovechkin and Malkin, not many are expected to have anykind of an impact as 18 yrs. You almost seem to have 2 standouts then a group of 3-5 players that anyone could make an arguement for drafting 3rd, 4th, etc. I think that a team can use BPA to get down to two or three players, then one must look at team need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad