Ovechkin: What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

What if he lands in Columbus?

That would be one of the greatest group of young players we've seen in years.

F - Alexander Ovechkin
F - Rick Nash
F - Nikolai Zherdev
F - Alexander Svitov
F - Dan Fritsche
D - Rosty Klesla
D - Aaron Johnson
G - Marc Denis/Pascal Leclaire

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
In a few years Columbus fans will be happy with how little success they had in their early years as opposed to their expansion brothers. You could substitute Ovechkin with Malkin, or Barker and it's still impressive. Very sick amount of talent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They need some defensemen! If they don't end up at 1 or 2 they should end up with Cam Barker, hopefully.

leafaholix*

I agree, but I was really looking at the trio of Nash, Zherdev, and Ovechkin.

Two franchise players and a sniper.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
Who's Colombus' Coach? Because I hope he doesn't screw up with those young blue chips. He's got some good talent there, and they should be a good team in 2 years from now (if not next year).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd say many teams can claim the same.

If Pittsburgh gets Ovechkin, they get the only thing that separates them from being the #1 young team in the NHL.
Fleury, Caron, Chiodo, Duba, Goepfert, Lehto and Crawford-West in nets.
Whitney, Welch, Orpik, Melichar, Rozsival, Jackman, Scuderi, Lupaschuk, Nemec, Fernholm, Bissonnette, Schneider and Malenkhyk on D.
Ovechkin, Malone, Fata, Armstrong, Surovy, Kraft, Bartschi, Stone, Talbot, Dixon, Christensen, Anshakov, Koltsov, Endicott, Ouellet, Beech, Sivek, Murley, Eaves, Carcillo, Moulson, etc... on offense.

Amazing depth.

If Washington gets Ovechkin, they have quite a few young guys in Eminger, Morrison, Ouellet, Semin that are already good, and with all the picks they have... they could build something.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
with all those great young players, i don't understand why they're not getting better as the season goes on. pens have caught up 14 pts in the last few weeks. eye on the prize that's the big o?

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
If the blue jacket get Ovechkin it's going to be a sad day for the pens.I hope they get him because aside of Fleury they don't really have a great bunch of prospect.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Leafaholix said:

F - Alexander Ovechkin
F - Rick Nash
F - Nikolai Zherdev
F - Alexander Svitov
F - Dan Fritsche
D - Rosty Klesla
D - Aaron Johnson

Yikes, greatest group I don't know about that. It's pretty impressive but I'm not so sure Klesla (he's looking more like a #3), Johnson (ditto), Svitov (3rd liner if he's still in the NHL in 5 years) will be studs. They have serious problems on D for the future. Their talent level (both in prospects and on the NHL scene) is not the problem. They had the talent to be a legit playoff contender this year just like they will have the talent to be a legit playoff contender for the next few years. But they better get some coaching, or they'll suck for a long time. They better hope they don't turn into Florida (i.e. fans around the league always saying, 'look how good this team will be in three-five years').

And they need to work on depth in their organization. They are building that, but they aren't there yet. You can have a first line of superstars, but you need much more than that to compete for the SC.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
high-end perhaps(though I do call Whitney and Welch high-end), but we're absolutely drowning in 2nd-3rd liners and 3-6 defensemen.

Prospect depth we're probably best in the league, guys like Shane Endicott, Ondrej Nemec, Jonathan Filewich, Tomas Duba, Stephen Dixon, David Koci, and Rob Scuderi aren't even in our Top 20.

Ryan Malone was almost never in our top 20, I believe he peaked at 17...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That I don't doubt. But it has nothing to do with their OUTSTANDING prospect crop.

As for high end prospects, you don't get much better than Fleury/Whitney/Welch/Anshakov.
And of course one of the less known guys could develop into something more than first thought (Talbot, Bartschi, Stone, Nemec, Malenkhyk, etc...).

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Leafaholix said:

F - Alexander Ovechkin
F - Rick Nash
F - Nikolai Zherdev
F - Alexander Svitov
F - Dan Fritsche
D - Rosty Klesla
D - Aaron Johnson
You could say the same for Washington, Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->