Ovechkin value

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Not sure of the point you're making here. Why would we care how a team in Quebec City (or wherever) fares?

When considering moves for the Washington Capitals to make to win a Cup, trading Ovechkin is a non-starter due to the financial ramifications (and loss of talent considering the makeup of the rest of the roster).

Liberati0n*

Not sure of the point you're making here. Why would we care how a team in Quebec City (or wherever) fares?

When considering moves for the Washington Capitals to make to win a Cup, trading Ovechkin is a non-starter due to the financial ramifications (and loss of talent considering the makeup of the rest of the roster).

Whether we would care is irrelevant. The question is of how to build a winning roster. Whether moves would diminish profits, even to the point of relocation, has absolutely nothing to do with that question.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That still totally misses the point. Is building around a $9.5M Ovechkin a (Cup-) winning strategy or not? I think it could be if enough right decisions are made around him, but it's not ideal.

And moving the team to Quebec City without roster changes does absolutely nothing to diminish its Cup prospects. The roster stays the same. In terms of taking the team away from its fans, it's a huge defeat; in terms of its chances of winning, it has absolutely no impact.

You so sure Nick Backstrom would want to play in Quebec City?? hmmmm

Lindros didn't! :laugh:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Impossible to win with a 9,5M wing?

Is it a fact 100%?

Or is it impossible to win with 9,5+4,5+4,5 wings who aren't exactly net positives?

Caps still have a chance having OV not that brilliant on D and ES.

But Caps can work on his ES also. Erat should have helped but they didn't connected much yet.

I guess 9,5 is a figure dictated by market. Like Getzlaf's and Perry's caphits. All GMs are forced to work around those figures right now. So is GMGM.

It's not the end of the world.

Well I guess nothing is impossible, but I think for 9.5m, a player like Ovi has to produce offensively in pretty much every playoff series to give his team a good chance... which is why ES performance for Ovi is worrying.

And if Ovi can't dominate at ES anymore, then I think it's even more important to split him up with Backstrom -- because then he can either have more success against secondary defensemen, or he'll draw the top D away from other lines. Not to mention, when Ovi was absent, Backstrom showed very clear signs that he might be better off playing on his own line -- and then maybe he can make a player like Brouwer better, too.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd like to see Oates try out 10-90-8 and 21-19-16. Obviously, I would rather sent Laich to Siberia, but we don't have another LW option and I DO NOT want him on a line with Ovie. But I think Fehr and Backs showed some chemistry when Ovie was out and I like the idea of spreading out the offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad