Ovechkin value

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Non-serious thread is non-serious.

There are three or four superstars in the NHL and one of them plays for the team I root for so his value to ME is immeasurable.

That being said if the Preds offered Weber, Hornqvist and two 1st's as someone upthread suggested I would have think long and hard about it.

Ultimately I think I would pass.

No chance the Caps would consider it and it wouldn't even be thought of. The only reason a guy like Gretzky got traded is because his owner was in financial trouble (and a complete fraud *******)

Players like Crosby and Ovechkin (in their prime) won't get traded from a business standpoint alone. Ted will lose millions.

1. Love the sarcasm.

2. The only thing proven against those two teams is that the rest of the team not named Ovechkin could help out on the scoreboard a lot more than they are when he is in the lineup.

Clearly the OP is a troll (just look at his post total...most likely a Pens fan) but it was too juicy not to take the bait on this one!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If I were starting a team from scratch, and I could have either a) Ovi at 9.5mil or b) assets that he'd fetch in a decent trade, I won't lie, I might very well choose the latter. For what he is paid, he has to be better at even strength, especially since you don't get the same PP chances in playoffs. We all love Ovi, but I think we all know it's true.

However, we don't live in a vacuum, and for the Caps realistically this may not be an option even if they executed it ideally, too many risks. And with the present management, I wouldn't at all trust that Leonsis & McPhee wouldn't screw it up. After all, (Ovechkin) + (min salary grinder) >>> (Laich clone A) + (Laich clone B), which is what our GMGM is perfectly capable of conjuring up as replacement.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
However, we don't live in a vacuum, and for the Caps realistically this may not be an option even if they executed it ideally, too many risks. And with the present management, I wouldn't at all trust that Leonsis & McPhee wouldn't screw it up. After all, Ovechkin + min salary grinder >>> Laich clone A + Laich clone B, which is what our GMGM is perfectly capable up of conjuring up as replacement.

Nice. The perspective.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Hey, we still have a compliance buyout so no one will even trade for him, everyone will just wait for him to hit free agency!

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
If we had a competent GM the value returned from trading him plus the rest of our assets could probably be enough to turn us into Chicago 2.0. Solid two-way 2C, physical complete wingers, top pairing two way Ds, you name it. Unfortunately our GM is a complete tard so we're much better off choking every year while at least having Ovechkin to electrify us during the regular season.

so let me make sure im following you.....a competent GM would trade Ovechkin?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If I were starting a team from scratch, and I could have either a) Ovi at 9.5mil or b) assets that he'd fetch in a decent trade, I won't lie, I might very well choose the latter. For what he is paid, he has to be better at even strength, especially since you don't get the same PP chances in playoffs. We all love Ovi, but I think we all know it's true.

However, we don't live in a vacuum, and for the Caps realistically this may not be an option even if they executed it ideally, too many risks. And with the present management, I wouldn't at all trust that Leonsis & McPhee wouldn't screw it up. After all, (Ovechkin) + (min salary grinder) >>> (Laich clone A) + (Laich clone B), which is what our GMGM is perfectly capable of conjuring up as replacement.

Well in Fantasy Land you'd have a good point...however this is reality were dealing with.

The Caps have sold out for several years now. The ticket prices have doubled since we started making the playoffs.

Despite this we (according to Forbes) are making a moderate profit and not much more.

Now...the Owner of a team can only operate in the red for so long. If we trade Ovechkin that is exactly what will happen. When that happens you have to expect the owner to bite the bullet year in and year out and take a loss OR to cut payroll/scouting etc

If we do that we won't be spending near the cap and will have an internal budget thus putting us at a competitive disadvantage. We are NOT in a market like NY, Montreal or Toronto where we don't need Ovechkin's star power to generate revenue.

The economics of the situation are being blatently ignored because its very easy to play with other people's money.

EDIT: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Caps and Montreal are the only 2 teams who have both 100% attendance at home and on the road.

Perhaps some of this has to do with this Ovechkin guy?

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Btw, I was curious about Ovi's even strength numbers over the years, so I looked up his NHL rank in even strength points:

2008: 2
2009: 2
2010: 3 (I guess overall low goal totals because PP was not working)
2011: 58
2012: 26
2013: 110

On many levels, this is alarming. Can't rely on PP in playoffs. And a guy who is paid 9.5 mil and plays below average defense has to be near top of the league in terms of ESP to make it worthwhile for the team -- in playoffs at least.

Can Ovi still dominate at even strength? Bring the offense consistently in playoffs?

nexguy

Oct 24, 2006
He has lost his previous ability to dominate while even strength. He is last on his team in +/- and is a defensive liability. He is absolutely deadly on the power play.

Keeping him is a good strategy. Trading him for #1 picks and defense is a winning strategy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He has lost his previous ability to dominate while even strength. He is last on his team in +/- and is a defensive liability. He is absolutely deadly on the power play.

Keeping him is a good strategy. Trading him for #1 picks and defense is a winning strategy.

If, by 'winning', you mean 'accelerating the team's move to Quebec City', you're absolutely right.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Winning and being financially viable aren't on the same continuum.

Dunno about that. Winning games leads to financial viability, and the Caps have put on a show for 82 games a year for the last few years now.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
As a business man I would never trade OV. If I was to start a team from scratch as a GM. I would not start with a 9mill wing that was not one of legend. There is not a wing in the game I would start with for 9mill. It would have to be a #1D the played defense (FU Mike Green) or a top of the line center.

Now that I am thinking about it I may take the #5-7 center over the #1 wing. When you start looking at the wings you may get the Sammy Sosa of hockey.

Edit: That is not a 100% shot at OV. But there are times I have seen the Sammy Sosa of Hockey. Take that and a bunch of Vodka for what it is worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Oates has to address his pathetic play without he puck this season. He made great strides last season and is regressing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The two can't reasonably be separated in this situation.

You think Leonsis would be spending to the cap without Ovechkin filling the arena for the past 5 years?

Yeah this is the point I'm making as well. Not to mention the ability to attract attention on a national level and get players who want to play here.

I'm sure merchandise sales are involved as well and a good chunk of the Caps sales are a direct result of #8.

Now that I am thinking about it I may take the #5-7 center over the #1 wing. When you start looking at the wings you may get the Sammy Sosa of hockey.

Edit: That is not a 100% shot at OV. But there are times I have seen the Sammy Sosa of Hockey. Take that and a bunch of Vodka for what it is worth.

Ovechkin is a 3 time MVP and a lock for the HOF if he didn't play one more game. You'd rather have the current #5-7 center over him?

A case can be made that C is a more important position but that is very general and doesn't take into account the exact player.

Ovechkin has been one of the most dominant wingers of all time thus far. I would disagree with you here.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Impossible to win with a 9,5M wing?

Is it a fact 100%?

Or is it impossible to win with 9,5+4,5+4,5 wings who aren't exactly net positives?

Caps still have a chance having OV not that brilliant on D and ES.

But Caps can work on his ES also. Erat should have helped but they didn't connected much yet.

I guess 9,5 is a figure dictated by market. Like Getzlaf's and Perry's caphits. All GMs are forced to work around those figures right now. So is GMGM.

It's not the end of the world.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I can share some opinion about OV's play in russian national team.

Mostly, he scored goals when somebody was giving him a shot. Like one timer opportunity without much pressure. Ofc, not only such goals but probably it was a coach's task to get Ov a good pass in a scoring position. That's how my memory tells me he played last years.

Being paired mostly with Semin they played another style, not like they played in Caps many moons ago. It was Semin (or Datsyuk or whoever) setting up OV for a shot. Other times Ov just skated around trying to forecheck and backcheck. Not much playmaking for him, not much carrying the puck. He was used by 2 different coaches mostly like a pure scorer. And there was not much defensive laziness on display (I understand higher workrate because of international tournaments).

Erat-Backstrom and formerly MJ-Backstrom can't setup him much in ES yet. I think that's the problem. And he almost can't setup himself anymore.

Also, I don't think OV was such a big "controller disconnected" in playoffs last several seasons. He is coasting through the regular season and/or dinged a bit.

So Oates should work with him even more. Just after he solves 2nd line problems.

Liberati0n*

The two can't reasonably be separated in this situation.

You think Leonsis would be spending to the cap without Ovechkin filling the arena for the past 5 years?

That still totally misses the point. Is building around a $9.5M Ovechkin a (Cup-) winning strategy or not? I think it could be if enough right decisions are made around him, but it's not ideal.

And moving the team to Quebec City without roster changes does absolutely nothing to diminish its Cup prospects. The roster stays the same. In terms of taking the team away from its fans, it's a huge defeat; in terms of its chances of winning, it has absolutely no impact.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
That still totally misses the point. Is building around a $9.5M Ovechkin a (Cup-) winning strategy or not? I think it could be if enough right decisions are made around him, but it's not ideal.

And moving the team to Quebec City without roster changes does absolutely nothing to diminish its Cup prospects. The roster stays the same. In terms of taking the team away from its fans, it's a huge defeat; in terms of its chances of winning, it has absolutely no impact.
You could easily build a Cup winning team around a $9.5M Ovechkin. The problem is the $15M+ on 4 complementary wingers, $2.5M on a backup goalie that rarely plays, and $6.5M on a defenseman that's a shadow of hia former self.

And yes, moving to Quebec City would completely eliminate the Cup winning prospects of the Washington Capitals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad