Ovechkin - underpaid?

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
He currently is paid $9,538,462 per season. When you consider his impact and the 5 who get paid more than him (Weber, Toews, Kane, Crosby, Kessel, Lundqvist in that order), you can genuinely say he is underpaid as crazy as that sounds for someone who earns $10m.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
he's underpaid in comparison, his contract is more than fair and he's a steal compared to what others like stamkos want who aren't as good.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Wasn't his contract extension the largest in history at that time? It seems like every year the salaries go up as the cap goes up so I think his salary is more than fair. He's only a million off Toews/Kane.

The $10.5 million the two stars will make against the salary cap starting in 2015-16 will be the highest cap hits in the NHL, surpassing Alex Ovechkin’s $9.538 million from a deal he signed before the 2008-09 season.

Here's a quick rundown of some of the top cap hits:

Shea Weber: $92 million ($7.857 million)
Sidney Crosby: $86.4 million ($8.7 million)
Zach Parise: $80 million ($7.538 million)
Ryan Suter: $80 million ($7.538 million)
Alex Ovechkin: $79 million ($9.538 million)
Evgeni Malkin: $76 million ($9.5 million)

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It's fair. Even if he's underpaid now, he'll be overpaid in a few years. It works out.

As good as Ovie was when he signed the deal, it made me nervous. He hadn't won the Hart or scored 65 goals yet, and 13 years is a hell of a long time. Plus the last long contract the Caps awarded was to Jagr.

I'm obviously thrilled with the way things turned out.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
LOL @ Toes getting paid more. Those intangibles tho.
And Stamkos needs to chill with his crazy demands. The highest he should get is 8 mil. Toronto will pay him 15 :shakehead

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lol just remembering that season he had 30 goals and people wanted him gone just to clear cap space.... I won't name names ;)

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You can't look at a 13 year contract through the prism of 1 season.

The contract was perfect IMO. Great deal for both sides. GMGM paid the most money and he got the best player.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is this a thing anywhere other than here in this thread? Like a real concern getting pub? Because I don't see it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This.

Clowns on here wanted to move him and his contract at one point. Hang your heads in shame hosers.

It never got as bad here as it did on the main boards. There were tons of people on Caps boards still defending him (not all, though, shame on them), but there were times when main boards were filled with trade proposals with him involved and people were saying that Caps needed to add pieces for teams to take that contract. Laughable. :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He made hockey in DC a thing. Kids play the game and love the Caps because they love Ovie. Parents then buy their kids team gear and tickets. Those kids will grow up and buy tickets and team gear because they loved Ovie and the Caps growing up, and they'll have kids and want to share their love of the Caps with them, so they'll buy their kids tickets and team gear. Hard to put a price tag on that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not underpaid because he got his big money very early. He only signs that deal because of that. He knew back then he'd be a little under market towards the last 1/3 of the deal. He could also have a dropoff and be overpaid near the end. Nobody knows. That's why he accepted the big $$ early and it was/is a very fair deal. As a Caps fan it's better to pay him top $ in his prime rather than be like a team like the Kings, about to pay Kopitar $10 mil per until he's 38.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He made hockey in DC a thing. Kids play the game and love the Caps because they love Ovie. Parents then buy their kids team gear and tickets. Those kids will grow up and buy tickets and team gear because they loved Ovie and the Caps growing up, and they'll have kids and want to share their love of the Caps with them, so they'll buy their kids tickets and team gear. Hard to put a price tag on that.

This. When I was a kid, being a Caps fan was like being a member of secret club. No one else even seemed to know DC had a hockey team. The '98 cup run changed that somewhat, but it was Ovie who made hockey cool in Washington.

Add that to being an all-time great, like once in a lifetime great, and yeah, totally underpaid.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
With every year that passes, the cap goes up, star players get paid more, and Ovi has no decline in production I love that contract more and more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad