Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Ovechkin breaking one of the most difficult records in hockey doesn’t make him a top 10 player all time.

Ovechkin and Crosby will almost certainly be top 10 players at the end of their careers.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
To make an argument for a player being in the top 10 you have to show me what else he can do besides score goals. The current players on the top 10 on most people's lists had more to their game than just a great shot.

Ovie is great, maybe one of the best goal scorers ever, but best overall? he won't make top 20.

Reactions: OscarsCards

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis

No.

I love the daily threads about Ovechkin goal record. LOL he's pretty far from that, actually 200 goals far. The only thing he's great in is his healt, he hasn't missed that much of his career and he'll be remembered only as a good goal scorer and nothing more. I liked his few first seasons and now he's pretty boring player, that's it.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And if you look at the top goal scores in league history, there are a few guys that place well below their goal scoring rank in terms of all time greatness because they didn’t have the all around offensive game. Guys like Brett Hull, Gartner, Robitaille, Ciccarelli etc.

TJ Oshie has not been a better hockey player than Nick Backstrom as an example, despite Oshie being a more prolific goal scorer.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

No.

I love the daily threads about Ovechkin goal record. LOL he's pretty far from that, actually 200 goals far. The only thing he's great in is his healt, he hasn't missed that much of his career and he'll be remembered only as a good goal scorer and nothing more. I liked his few first seasons and now he's pretty boring player, that's it.

If you’re tired of all the Ovi press right now, might be worth taking a break from hockey the next 5ish years. :laugh:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
To make an argument for a player being in the top 10 you have to show me what else he can do besides score goals. The current players on the top 10 on most people's lists had more to their game than just a great shot.

Ovie is great, maybe one of the best goal scorers ever, but best overall? he won't make top 20.

At his peak he was the most dominant all around player in the nhl. There were maybe a couple others in history who combined his level of offensive ability and physicality. And how many one trick snipers get as many assists as he's projected to finish his career with?

Reactions: Sentinel

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Doesn't crack my Top 20 yet. Close though.

Peak was very short. After that, great sniper but not a true dominating force.

Top 5 sniper ever though.

History is a long time in hockey, like 130 years.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Is Ovie a top-5 forward of all time? No. Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Hull, Beliveau are ahead of him right now. You can make an argument that he’s breathing down Hull’s neck, but Ovie still has some ground left to cover before he retires.

The other forwards in the conversation for a top-10 overall spot are Maurice Richard, Crosby, Morenz, Jagr. If you decide to put one of them in the top-10 overall, then the conversation gets interesting. IMO Ovie belongs firmly in that group, but it’s not clear-cut how they rank against each other. .

Has anyone actually seen Bobby Hull or Beliveau or Richard or Gordie Howe play? or guy lafleur or bobby orr or potvin or so many players.

Ive watched hockey from the 80s on so I feel like I can only rank players from the 80s til now because honestly, I dont know shit about Richard or Howe or any of the old guys except that I coveted their rookie cards as a kid.

Gretzky and Lemieux are the two best. ever. Theres 10 players since 1980 id rank over Ovi right now.

Recency shouldnt cloud our opinions. Ray Bourque and Paul Coffey were amazing players that I have seen play many many many times. But I have to put Bobby Orr ahead of them, even though Ive only seen some clips of Orr.

I dont know the point of my post except that ..... its so hard to rank players if we are also including players before 1980 who I assume few here actually saw play.

Its like trying to hold water in your bare hands.

------------------------

Ovi is outside my top 10 of all time and probably outside my top 15 or 20 tbh.

- Caps fan

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
4th all time in Hart wins despite being totally jobbed in 2010, never dominated. Cool story.

His 2013 Hart win was a fluke.

His 2015 season was much better where he finished 2nd in Hart voting.

Don't count the number of wins, count the complete voting record. Ovechkin does look good in Hart voting, but not as good as just counting the number of times he won the trophy makes hi mlook, because many players had a crap ton of years as the 2nd or 3rd place in Hart voting, which boost their resume and is invisible under your method of evaluation.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Ovechkin will try to continue on his compiler career though I don't think he will be able to compile enough to be a top compiler. Compile upon compile he has still not compiled enough. He will also continue to compile enough hockey people to acknowledge that he has not compiled a complete game to be considered one of the top compilers.
The term "compiler" is tossed around quite liberally in this thread.

Reactions: Voight

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Breaking Gretzky's record will seat him somewhere in the top-10, but there isn't a decent argument to be made for a guy with only one Art Ross to flirt with 5th.

Reactions: iamjs

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
TIL in addition to all his PP, left circle, assisted by Backstrom and most of his other goals not counting, his Harts don't count either cause why not. We should be discussing if he's better than Tanner Glass not top 10. Noted.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Breaking Gretzky's record will seat him somewhere in the top-10, but there isn't a decent argument to be made for a guy with only one Art Ross to flirt with 5th.

Beliveau routinely "flirts with 5th" for a lot of people and he only has one Art Ross trophy.

More to players than just trophy counting.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

His 2015 season was much better where he finished 2nd in Hart voting.

Don't count the number of wins, count the complete voting record. Ovechkin does look good in Hart voting, but not as good as just counting the number of times he won the trophy makes hi mlook, because many players had a crap ton of years as the 2nd or 3rd place in Hart voting, which boost their resume and is invisible under your method of evaluation.

2013 was a “fluke.”

Huh.

Ovie was two years removed from three consecutive Pearsons and would be the best skater two years later.

Perhaps you don’t know what a fluke is.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
4th all time in Hart wins despite being totally jobbed in 2010, never dominated. Cool story.

There are some very bad takes in this thread. Yours isnt one of them.

4th in hart wins, the greatest goal scorer of all time, a mean physical game, Conn Smythe trophy, 3 Pearson/Lindsays and he wasnt dominant? Some people dont have him top 20? Absolutely pathetic

As for 2013 being a fluke hart trophy? He led the league in goals and was tied for third in points behind two teammates. He finished first in goals created. He also had more 1st place votes than anybody and more second place votes than anybody. Finished the year as a first team all star at right wing and second team all star at left wing.

Anyone calling that a fluke is reaching hard

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
One day, a Washington Capitals fan will have a heart attack thumping their chest about why OV is better than Crosby.

and it more than likely will happen in a forum post that had absolutely nothing to do with Crosby in the first place.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
One day, a Washington Capitals fan will have a heart attack thumping their chest about why OV is better than Crosby.

and it more than likely will happen in a forum post that had absolutely nothing to do with Crosby in the first place.

Yea it'll be after all the Crosby fans get heart attacks and die when OV beats Gretzsky's record. Because you know... Crosby won't be breaking any records anytime soon :(.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

2013 was a “fluke.”

Huh.

Ovie was two years removed from three consecutive Pearsons and would be the best skater two years later.

Perhaps you don’t know what a fluke is.

There are some very bad takes in this thread. Yours isnt one of them.

4th in hart wins, the greatest goal scorer of all time, a mean physical game, Conn Smythe trophy, 3 Pearson/Lindsays and he wasnt dominant? Some people dont have him top 20? Absolutely pathetic

As for 2013 being a fluke hart trophy? He led the league in goals and was tied for third in points behind two teammates. He finished first in goals created. He also had more 1st place votes than anybody and more second place votes than anybody. Finished the year as a first team all star at right wing and second team all star at left wing.

Anyone calling that a fluke is reaching hard

You guys are replying to a guy who doesn't rank OV top 20 because, despite his peak being up there with any non big 4 player AND his prime being basically 15 years, his peak was "too short".. but same dude then gets wet over Lafleur who literally had a 5 year career lol.

Same guy ranked Crosby ahead of OV for best 5 year start to a career because "playoffs", but then also ranked McDavid ahead of OV despite his 2 career playoff series lol. No joke, this guy legit said replace OV with James Neal and it wouldn't make a difference to the caps lol. Some people are just not worth replying to.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I know it's a vulgar point total argument, but why not:

Ovechkin hasn't scored 90 points in 10 years.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

3x PPG leader, 8x top 10 in pts, 200+ hits a season...that shot is godly!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad