Ovechkin Suspended 1 Game

itshomerdoh

Jul 26, 2005
Looked at least as intentional as Weber's elbow, no? Wonder why the suspension was so light. :sarcasm:

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
This wasn't intentional hit to the head, just a case of missing the target. Ovechkin aimed for a clean hit, but under circumstances:
- swiss player never looked at penalty box direction nor were aware of penalty expiring.
- Ovechkin was lined for a clean body hit but skated a bit off it and looking at the earlier circumstance I noted...

**** happens, even if it was a hit to the head, I really don't see any reason for the suspension.

And yes, I watched it live, and ran a few of replays from HD.

itshomerdoh

Jul 26, 2005
Definately deserved the same as Weber. Just because he's a superstar forward doesn't mean he can go around throwing elbows or mean headchecks.

I take back what I said, not exactly the same. At first I thought he hit him with the elbow, but under closer inspection it looked like all shoulder and he threw the elbow out afterwards. Still seems like the fix is in a little bit, I mean is a headshot with an elbow that much worse than a headshot with a shoulder?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
**** I don't know ... I think I'd rather get hit with an elbow nowadays than a shoulder ... with all the "shoulder pad protection" everyone is wearing now

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I take back what I said, not exactly the same. At first I thought he hit him with the elbow, but under closer inspection it looked like all shoulder and he threw the elbow out afterwards. Still seems like the fix is in a little bit, I mean is a headshot with an elbow that much worse than a headshot with a shoulder?

one is legal, the other isn't.

Not brain surgery

itshomerdoh

Jul 26, 2005
one is legal, the other isn't.

Not brain surgery

From the other Ovechkin thread:

540 – Checking to the Head and Neck Area.
a) A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or â€drives†or â€forces†the head of an opposing player into the protective glass on boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee a:
- Minor penalty + Automatic Misconduct penalty (2’+10’)
or
- Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
- Match Penalty (MP)

b) A player who injures an opponent as result of checking to the Head and Neck Area
shall be assessed, a
- Match Penalty (MP)

Must be legal, eh? Want some brain surgery?

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004

I think the big difference is the intent. Hitting someone with your elbow is pretty much always considered intent to injure.

**** I don't know ... I think I'd rather get hit with an elbow nowadays than a shoulder ... with all the "shoulder pad protection" everyone is wearing now

No you wouldn't, if Ovechkin would have hit that guy with his elbow he would have been hurt much more than he was.

I think the 1 game suspension is right. In no way was it dirty, however under no circumstances can you make contact with the opponents head or neck in a hit and therefore he deserves what he got. However there was certainly no intent to injure in anyway.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
but Weber gets 3?

Hmmm

something fishy going on

Something fishy like Weber's hit being dirty and Ovechkin's more accidental than anything (I don't think Weber did it intentionally either, but was much more careless with his elbow)?

I think the one game is overkill, but it's OK. Three games would've been a joke compared to Weber's hit.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Anyone who claims Ovechkin deserves the same suspension as Weber is seriously out of the loop, the only common thing those two hits had was the fact that it hit the opponent in the head. That's were the similarities end.

Mr.Brownov*

Absolutely no comparison. Weber is surely the head hunter between the 2. I love Weber but man you can kill someone like that

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I would have to say that the Weber hit is worse because of the speed Weber came in with and the fact that he was farther away from the player he hit and threw out the elbow.

That being said the other hit was also an elbow, I think the difference was it was not an intentional elbow. If you pause the video at about 21 sec. you get a really good look at where the Swiss player's face hits. His forehead is about half way up Oveckin's upper arm, meaning his chin is being hit with the elbow. I don't think it was intentional but still worthy of a suspension, I think both players got appropriate punishment.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
I would have to say that the Weber hit is worse because of the speed Weber came in with and the fact that he was farther away from the player he hit and threw out the elbow.

That being said the other hit was also an elbow, I think the difference was it was not an intentional elbow. If you pause the video at about 21 sec. you get a really good look at where the Swiss player's face hits. His forehead is about half way up Oveckin's upper arm, meaning his chin is being hit with the elbow. I don't think it was intentional but still worthy of a suspension, I think both players got appropriate punishment.

Its a contact game....relax, let them play

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Am I the only one that doesn't see what's so bad about the AO hit? All I see him doing is skating out of the penalty box. No leaning into it, no putting his arms up at all. Just skating in the same path as the other guy, who is skating leaning down with his head down.

I say this as someone who doesn't really like AO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad