Ovechkin shows why he is # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Corto said:
Most of the NHL fans (of teh other 29 teams) are getting sick of the Crosby hype. And to be honest, so am I, even being a Pens fan.
Amen.

The media, especially tsn, outta cool it a bit until it's earned.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Please, Ovechkin and Crosby both SUCK!

It's all about Chouinard!!!

He's going to be the next (insert favorite superstar here)!!

*sigh*

KariyaIsGod*

Tighina said:
How can you compare a 20-y.o. with 2 solid seasons of adult professional hockey and an 18-y.o. who's only played against kids before? You can't. And it's very understandable that Ovey blasted into the league like it's the easiest thing in the world, while Crosby's debut was underwhelming.

They'll both be great players eventually and will likely have a lot of respect for each other, even if their respective fans find it easier to throw feces around. It's probably all a reaction to the hype. Oh, well, what can you do.

His stat were underwhelming... That's it. By everyone's account who was at the game, he looked very, very good.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The hype (not his fault) is setting the kid up for failure --- he’s being thought of as “them†in an us versus them mentality with “us†being the rest of the rookies (Brule, Carter, Richards, Praise, Vanek).

While we all understand that he’s Canadian and talented (extremely talented) which naturally (wrongly or rightly) makes the media uber focused on him ----- sadly they are forgetting about the rest one of the most talented rookie crops to come along in years and that is a huge mistake.

It is rather sad that Praise's goal (game winner too) wasn't mentioned until well after the fact that Crosby will "get them next time" ----- there was no excuse for that ----- they were playing in the same damn game.

The league/sport needs all of these kids to do well, to be marketed not just Crosby.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The reason I find it funny is that a lot of posters on these boards praised how much better Crosby was at this point, and how he'd easily be head and shoulders above Ovechkin.

Some said that playing against boys wouldn't matter, and that Ovechkin playing against the RSL didn't mean squat either, because it wasn't the NHL. That obviously hasn't been the case, because there is a significant adjsutment to the NHL from playing against boys. From the RSL to the NHL is a jump as well, but when you're the specimen that Ovechkin is, it isn't as hard.

I could care less about how good Crosby does or doesn't do. He's going to be a good player, I just don't know how long it might take. He is going to have an adjustment to the physical side of the game and the defensive side of the game that Ovechkin probably won't have.

All this could of course change when Crosby goes out tomorrow or whatever and scores 5 goals. But the promotion Crosby has been getting, and has gotten on these boards makes it a good day to be an Ovechkin supporter.

If I really cared, I'd go pull up some classic posts that trumped just how much better Crosby would be, without much certainty.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
A lot has been made of Ovechkin's play in the Russian Elite League. I was very impressed by what he did there at a young age. His stats from the last couple of seasons don't indicate that he has progressed all that much. I realize that he missed a few games last year after Crosby and team Canada injured him, but his totals were not that great. 10 other players on his own team scored as many or more goals then him. His highest goal total was 13 goals in a season after 4 seasons there. I realize scoring is much lower in Russia, but his stats the last couple of seasons aren't that impressive.

And I agree with other posters that Erocaps is by far the biggest AO fanboy around.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nash said:
A lot has been made of Ovechkin's play in the Russian Elite League. I was very impressed by what he did there at a young age. His stats from the last couple of seasons don't indicate that he has progressed all that much. I realize that he missed a few games last year after Crosby and team Canada injured him, but his totals were not that great. 10 other players on his own team scored as many or more goals then him. His highest goal total was 13 goals in a season after 4 seasons there. I realize scoring is much lower in Russia, but his stats the last couple of seasons aren't that impressive.

And I agree with other posters that Erocaps is by far the biggest AO fanboy around.

I will not comment on EC, but would add ....... currently around. Which was it, Foppa or stockwizard or both that certainly went far further than EC ever could think of going?

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Last year Ovechkin was limited to 37 regular-season games, so 13+14=27 is not a bad result on a team that had Datsyuk and Afinogenov. He was 2+4=6 in 10 playoff games. Factor in the Superleague's low scoring, his age, the fact that he was never quite coach Krikunov's favorite in regards to playing time and the jaw-breaking hit on Gonchar early in the season, ain't too bad for a kid, you know.

Yeah, you look at his 03/04 stats (13+10) or 02/03 (8+8 in 40 games) and you think "***, this is supposed to be a superstar", but he was 18 and 17 years old respectively in those seasons!!! And he was playing with men, all of them clutchers and grabbers, which is rampant in the Superleague!
You simply cannot compare this to Crosby's figures in the Canadian Childrens League, you know. The result of these "disappointing" years is that Ovechkin is more polished right now than the Hype Kid.
However, the Hype Kid is in the NHL 2 years earlier than AO, so come 20 years old, he may be better than AO is now.

KariyaIsGod*

Tighina said:
Last year Ovechkin was limited to 37 regular-season games, so 13+14=27 is not a bad result on a team that had Datsyuk and Afinogenov. He was 2+4=6 in 10 playoff games. Factor in the Superleague's low scoring, his age, the fact that he was never quite coach Krikunov's favorite in regards to playing time and the jaw-breaking hit on Gonchar early in the season, ain't too bad for a kid, you know.

Yeah, you look at his 03/04 stats (13+10) or 02/03 (8+8 in 40 games) and you think "***, this is supposed to be a superstar", but he was 18 and 17 years old respectively in those seasons!!! And he was playing with men, all of them clutchers and grabbers, which is rampant in the Superleague!
You simply cannot compare this to Crosby's figures in the Canadian Childrens League, you know. The result of these "disappointing" years is that Ovechkin is more polished right now than the Hype Kid.
However, the Hype Kid is in the NHL 2 years earlier than AO, so come 20 years old, he may be better than AO is now.

They played one game.

Ovechkin got ONE more point thanks to Jeff Halpern's ridiculous pass.

This hardly proves who is mroe polished...

Transported Upstater

Lionel Hutz said:
Huh? :propeller

These questions are in relation to my post?

I'm not saying you said that.

But I just showed an example of the fact that bias is universal.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Nash said:

When was the last Ovechkin thread I created? :shakehead

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Pens1566 said:
ownedbush.jpg

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The kid is not just getting it from AO supporters . . . have we forgotten:

....... over-rated, over-rated, over-rated, over-rated ............. Paaaah-reee-seee!

Everybody sing . . .

Note: Puhhhh-reee-see is now tied with Ric Jackman in points by the way. Sid the Kid is tied (with 6 others) for third in the league in scoring. AO is also behind Crosby:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/stati...06&seasontype=2

Oil_slick9416*

EroCaps said:
Washington Post articles. Ooo burn. :rolleyes:

EroCaps suffered a posting accident in which he recieved 3rd degree burns over 90% of his body... he will be out of action for 4 -6 weeks. he is currently being treated for smoke inhalation suffered during his massive Burn.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Oil_slick9416 said:
EroCaps suffered a posting accident in which he recieved 3rd degree burns over 90% of his body... he will be out of action for 4 -6 weeks. he is currently being treated for smoke inhalation suffered during his massive Burn.

And then he acts like it's NOT a burn.... :propeller

Oh man, :biglaugh: priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->