Ovechkin shows why he is # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
DrMoses said:
See, Crosby's assist was actually quality. It was a dazzling play.

Ovechkin scored two garbage goals.

Don't read into it too much. He won't score 184 goals this season.

Heh Good Stuff.

I hope Ovey takes out the trash like this every night..

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
DrMoses said:
He has the fastest release in the NHL after one shot?
:biglaugh:

It's one game...

Crosby's assist was brilliant. AO got presents... Oh well.. Playing with Recchi and Leclair sure paid dividens last night... :shakehead

On another note... Have you ever seen any one poster jock a player as hard as Erocaps jocks AO?
jeez, let it go.

ao was awesome last night and gave a good idea of what he will bring, as did crosby. they both showed their game. ao is a monster and runs around possessed to make an impact. he has a big shot that looks l[ike it will beat about anyone. as much as i like ilya, ao looks like he could threaten would ilya did his first year, and be more physical at the same time.

syd showed he is more cerebral and a top notch playmaker, who also can take the puck to the net. he may not get the goals ao gets, because it may not be his style to be such a shooter - his points may reflect how well his teamates take advantage of him. i think these two are neck and neck for top rookie after watching them, and i assumed it would be that way.

btw, espn treated ao like he was the next as the next one as much as they did syd, for those who didnt like oln's treatment.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
DrMoses said:

It's one game...

Crosby's assist was brilliant. AO got presents... Oh well.. Playing with Recchi and Leclair sure paid dividens last night... :shakehead

On another note... Have you ever seen any one poster jock a player as hard as Erocaps jocks AO?

I don't know why you people keep on posting stuff like that, it's you that will look stupid when after 15 games it becomes clear that Ovechkin will be an elite NHLer for the next decade.

btw; didn't mean Ovechkin had the fastest release, and haven'tsaid anything negative about Crosby...

Last edited:

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
lmao! someone on the habs board already said I was a bandwagoner... Obviously he was brain dead but he prolly never saw your posts!

Randall Graves*

EroCaps said:
The media is making a bush mistake ignoring Ovechkin and comparing Crosby to Lemieux and Gretzky.

It'll probably be a blessing in disguise for Ovechkin, bc in the end I can't find anything about Crosby's game outside of his dialect that makes him that much more valuable to the NHL.
Crosby has better offensive ability, but I think ovechkin could be the better all around guy.

KariyaIsGod*

Slick Nick said:
I don't know why you people keep on posting stuff like that, it's you that will look stupid when after 15 games it becomes clear that Ovechkin will be an elite NHLer for the next decade.

btw; didn't mean Ovechkin had the fastest release, and haven'tsaid anything negative about Crosby...

Sure. I might, expect for the stupid thread title is about how AO is clearly better than Crosby and showed it last night. I happen to disagree with the assessment that AO was better than Crosby.

I happen to disagree with the entire premise of the thread.

And by the way, what is it about my post that irks you?

The fact is, he has a quick release but is it the quickest in the NHL after one night? No...

THe fact is that both of his goals were more-so the result of great passes by his teammates than anything.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Slick Nick said:
you that will look stupid when after 15 games it becomes clear that Ovechkin will be an elite NHLer for the next decade.

Did anyone say that? I don't think any reasonable people are challenging that contention.

Personally, I now despise Ovechkin. Not because of anything he did, its because of posters like Eurocaps, Swoosh, CSKA etc.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lionel Hutz said:
Did anyone say that? I don't think any reasonable people are challenging that contention.

Personally, I now despise Ovechkin. Not because of anything he did, its because of posters like Eurocaps, Swoosh, CSKA etc.

Now that's plain silly. Neither he nor Crosby can help the idiocy that goes on around them. And even though he plays for the Caps I can appreciate anyone who has obvious talent and enjoy watching them - every game but when they play the Pens of course.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Jaded-Fan said:
Now that's plain silly. Neither he nor Crosby can help the idiocy that goes on around them. And even though he plays for the Caps I can appreciate anyone who has obvious talent and enjoy watching them - every game but when they play the Pens of course.

It was tounge in cheek. The constant pimping is tiresome and its been going on by the same group of posters in every thread on every topic for the past 2 years.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:

you officially take things here on HF way too seriously

dem

Mar 17, 2002
How come the Ovechkin isnt wearing his mirrored visor? Did the NHL ban it?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Lionel Hutz said:

:nopity:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
DrMoses said:

It's one game...

What does the one game have to do with it? If a guy runs under 10secs first time you see him, does it make it any less impressive? He had a fast release because he is able to execute fast releases. Crosby can play 15 games, but he won't have one, because (at the moment) his release is average.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
From the highlights I saw, both players looked impressive both offensively and away from the puck. Ovechkin should have the inside edge for the Calder over Crosby since he is almost 2 years older and has much more experience playing against men. I think it will take Crosby a little longer to establish himself and adjust his game.

There are arguments about who is in the better situation. Ovechkin will be out there at all key times and while his team isn't the greatest, most top lines in the NHL are pretty good. Crosby has better talent around him, but not nearly as much as has been hyped in the media. He could benefit if he gets in key situations or if the opposing team's top checking unit focuses on Lemieux's line.

There is way too much pressure on both of these rookies since they were both hyped up beyond belief. People say Ovechkin is the best Russian prospect ever and that Crosby is the next coming of Lemieux/Gretzky. If either or both of these guys get anywhere near that level, it would be impressive, but everybody needs to cut them some slack for a few seasons at least. They are only 18 and 20 respectively.

As for the Calder race, only 2 players in the last 20 seasons won it in their draft year ... Lemieux & Samsonov. Both these guys have a shot, but don't label them busts if they don't win it. Generally that award goes to someone a little older. Since it is extremely difficult for a draft year player to win this award, it will be that much harder for Crosby to win it considering that there is an entire draft class a year older then him breaking in and a bunch of guys drafted in the preceding years that are only getting in now because of the lockout.

My personal assessment is that Ovechkin is going to be up there with Kovalchuk, maybe better, but he is primarily a finisher and a fantastic one at that. Crosby is more of a playmaker and makes his teammates better with his vision. I also think Crosby will be a more complete player in the long run and will end up ahead of Ovechkin in total points over the span of their careers.

I could be wrong of course. I was always more sold on Spezza's overall game then Kovalchuk's. I knew Ilya was a scoring force, but he seemed to not be a team guy. He proved himself quickly in the NHL on a team starving for talent while Spezza lingered in the minors on a stacked team with an impatient coach. Seeing how much Spezza has improved his skating, maybe my earlier belief in him will come true. I think his playmaking abilities are near the top of the NHL.

SChan*

uh crosby is clearly playing on a team with more offensive talent than ovechkin. what is it, Lemiuex, Palffy, Leclair, Recchi and gonchar and tarnstrom from the blueline.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
Crosby has better offensive ability, but I think ovechkin could be the better all around guy.

No i think i disagree with that as well...

I truly belive that AO is much more special and TALENTED that Corsby who is also very talented.

Persoanlly i don't see Crosby being better than AO in the long run and if i had to choose one of the the two to build a franchise for the next twenty years it would be AO easily.

BTW did it annoy anyone else when TSN was like Oh crosby with a great scoring chance on his first shift. While AO levels a CBJ dman and has a better scoring oppturinity but they don't give him half as much credit.

But at the end of the day i think the differnce between the two would come down to an argument like who would you rather have: Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg?

neither answer is wrong but neither one is right.

jacketracket*

Ovechkin said:
`I feel my dreams come true,'' Ovechkin said. ``I play in the NHL. First game, we win.''
Nicely said, IMO.

Kid's got 6 goals and 3 assists in his last 3 games, and he looked every bit as good as advertised last night. Going to be fun watching this Calder trophy chase. Parise, Crosby, Vanek, Richards, Brule, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->