Ovechkin, Ovechkin, Ovechkin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Before the WJC I didn't give a thing about Ovechkin. Then I saw his visor and now I'm like :yo: :bow:

:lol:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Daigle is a fairly ordinary speedster who had overrated hockey sense and loses his composure faster than Paris Hilton loses her panties.
:lol :lol

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Alex Kovalev said:
Nicely said by a caps fan.

Actually Caps fans are the ones who are criticizing him the most. Go to washingtoncapitals.com and you'll see them running him through the meat grinder. The thread about Ovechkin being "a cocky showoff" is curently at 21 pages. They've been looking for any possible flaw since Draft Day. :shakehead

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
Actually Caps fans are the ones who are criticizing him the most. Go to washingtoncapitals.com and you'll see them running him through the meat grinder. The thread about Ovechkin being "a cocky showoff" is curently at 21 pages. They've been looking for any possible flaw since Draft Day. :shakehead
Foppa,I was wondering when you would show up?Are you also Wilka 91 now?
Because he post's the same crazy kinda stuff you do.So we finally have our
matchup.No doubt Ovechkin can play against men in the Russia Superleague
but we're all waiting to see how well he does against "batboy". :D

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Vlad The Impaler said:
I tried to stay away from most Ovechkin threads because by now, I know how things work around here.

As I've said countless time, Ovechkin is just following the path most phenoms take around here. They're hailed as the new "hawt thing", a legend is fabricated and then deconstructed. It's very typical of what takes place around here.

If try to keep the player in perspective, the good and the bad. So I don't worry when he's overly praised or criticized.

As far as I'm concerned he is a damn good player and that's the end of it but some fans will put these guys on pedestals and then microscopes. I've seen Ilya Kovalchuk labelled the next Klima so people can go ahead and mention Brendl and Daigle when talking about Ovechkin but it's not going to happen either.

Daigle is a fairly ordinary speedster who had overrated hockey sense and loses his composure faster than Paris Hilton loses her panties. Brendl for all his offense is not dynamic at all and one dimensional. They both needed a ton of work and are two examples of players who couldn't develop as well as they could have but carried enormous risks.

Ovechkin is the opposite. The guy was one of the brightest example of early blooming we have ever witnessed. Make no mistake, Ovechkin *will* play in the NHL and will be quite good. He doesn't have the one-trick pony risk factor the other two carry.

He's just coming down on the other side of the hype mountain right now. A dumb, typical HF reflex to go with the dumb, typical reflex of expecting the world out of these guys when they are 16 and 17 years old.

As far as his visor is concerned, it does give him a slight advantage and the NHL will probably rule one way or the other on this. It ain't nothing to worry about. It has less drawbacks on the ice than a synergy stick has and people whine all the time how we have too few goals in hockey. Besides, I doubt very much it would do a lot to his game. It may mean an ODD goal here and there in a season. The potential drawback is that if the NHL rules this legal, more players might use this. It might not be that great to see 20% of NHL forwards with that thing on. If the NHL makes it illegal, he won't play with it. I mean, is that really a big deal?

This is the way it's always been on HF and for some people who haven't learned the lesson, it's the way it will always be. In fact, it's actually getting worse as time goes by.

:bow:

I couldn't agree more. This needs to be pinned in the prospect forum.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Alex Kovalev said:
The obsession is getting out of hand I agree.

But there is no denying his talent.

Who would have figued the first two to contribute to this thread would be rabid Malkin fans? Not me.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
Guys, whats next? Are you going to start talking about what he eats for breakfast and how much time he takes in the bathroom? You guys have way too much time on your hands and its a shame. The guy is a teenager, he doesnt know much about life and u are obsessing about his every move. Leave the kid alone...he will mature with time and you will all laugh about this

You know, this paragraph could also be applied to another certain prospect.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I tried to stay away from most Ovechkin threads because by now, I know how things work around here.

As I've said countless time, Ovechkin is just following the path most phenoms take around here. They're hailed as the new "hawt thing", a legend is fabricated and then deconstructed. It's very typical of what takes place around here.

If try to keep the player in perspective, the good and the bad. So I don't worry when he's overly praised or criticized.

As far as I'm concerned he is a damn good player and that's the end of it but some fans will put these guys on pedestals and then microscopes. I've seen Ilya Kovalchuk labelled the next Klima so people can go ahead and mention Brendl and Daigle when talking about Ovechkin but it's not going to happen either.

Daigle is a fairly ordinary speedster who had overrated hockey sense and loses his composure faster than Paris Hilton loses her panties. Brendl for all his offense is not dynamic at all and one dimensional. They both needed a ton of work and are two examples of players who couldn't develop as well as they could have but carried enormous risks.

Ovechkin is the opposite. The guy was one of the brightest example of early blooming we have ever witnessed. Make no mistake, Ovechkin *will* play in the NHL and will be quite good. He doesn't have the one-trick pony risk factor the other two carry.

He's just coming down on the other side of the hype mountain right now. A dumb, typical HF reflex to go with the dumb, typical reflex of expecting the world out of these guys when they are 16 and 17 years old.

As far as his visor is concerned, it does give him a slight advantage and the NHL will probably rule one way or the other on this. It ain't nothing to worry about. It has less drawbacks on the ice than a synergy stick has and people whine all the time how we have too few goals in hockey. Besides, I doubt very much it would do a lot to his game. It may mean an ODD goal here and there in a season. The potential drawback is that if the NHL rules this legal, more players might use this. It might not be that great to see 20% of NHL forwards with that thing on. If the NHL makes it illegal, he won't play with it. I mean, is that really a big deal?

This is the way it's always been on HF and for some people who haven't learned the lesson, it's the way it will always be. In fact, it's actually getting worse as time goes by.

:handclap: :handclap:

It's so nice to see someone on this board with a mature sensibale post on him. As a caps fan I've got a big interest in him and can't completely trust myself to be objective all the time (though I do try) and reading the endless babble that's been posted over him for the last year or so has me totally confused. Thus I've gone from every feeling that this kids gonna be Lemiuex with blazing speed to thinking he's gonna be nothing more than average (that's partly my feeling that the Caps never would get such a great break as a legit Hart contender....the sum bich Volchkov has somethin to do with it, among many other things). Since I can't see him play and form my own opion I go by what people say....guess I need to remember who's posting the info (I should know who to listen to and who to ignore by now).

My one question is about, as you said, his early blooming. This reminds me an awful lot of a guy named Samsonov...a decent player, but I'm hoping for a bit more.

As for your point with guys gettin built up and torn down (which actually happens with all forms of celebrities) I wonder what it'll be like for Crosby. Being Canada's golden boy I doubt it'll be as severe as AO, but considering the mount everrest of a pedalstal he's been put on on this board he's got an awful long way to fall.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
people are obviously free to criticize him all they want, but it's still more likely that he's going to end up a perennial all star than a bust.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
JohnGalt said:
Greatness/potential greatness conjures up envy in the masses. They'll do whatever they can to cut Ovechkin down to size.

Ovechkin quit on this team tonight! :lol

Shoulder injury or not he should have sat on the bench and toughed it out! I mean he's got lots of practice after the intermission thing. Anyways, Ovechkin will be nothing more than another Bure, Jagr, Kovalev, Mogliny, etc. He is not someone you will want to build your team around!

For everything these Russians did against the USA they got their asses handed to them and they cried about it! :cry: :cry: :cry: It was funny to see from one night to the next! :yo:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
HabLover said:

Shoulder injury or not he should have sat on the bench and toughed it out! I mean he's got lots of practice after the intermission thing. Anyways, Ovechkin will be nothing more than another Bure, Jagr, Kovalev, Mogliny, etc. He is not someone you will want to build your team around!

For everything these Russians did against the USA they got their asses handed to them and they cried about it! :cry: :cry: :cry: It was funny to see from one night to the next! :yo:

Dumbest post of the night.

I haven't seen them all, though.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
1582Straka1897 said:
That is completly differant. Ovechkin and Malkin went over the line, but they never sucker punched and injure anyone. You can't even compare the two "incidents".
Edit: By the way, Bertuzzi is what, 27, 28 years old, an adult and he made it clear he was "out to get" Moore. Malkin and Ovechkin are 18 and 19 years old and did a stupid thing, most kids their age do. It was classless, but don't even compare them to Bertuzzi.
Ok, forget about my comparaison to Bertuzzi then. I wasn't comparing the acts, but was trying to point out that being talked about is not always a good thing.

Just a side note, I think the Bertuzzi thing was the most dispicable thing I've ever witness in hockey, nothing comes close. There may have been worse actions but I'm not aware of.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
HabLover said:

If Ovechkin would turn out another Mogilny, he'd be the most talented player in the world. You know, I'm biased too but this is really ridiculous. He in fact tried to return but it was clear that he couldn't help much with a bad shoulder. I thought that the Russians were bad winners and way too arrogant and Ovechkin gave me a really bad taste but you know what? He took this lost as a man. These Russians are good losers. I saw Ovechkin giving hard hand shakes to the Canadians, that takes a lot and he regain my respect. Hopefully he has learned a great deal on North American culture and will stop showboating when he'll be in the NHL. Other than that, he's an amazing player.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Actually I'm waiting for the Ovechkin is over-rated thread so we can try and bring this guy down to earth a bit. Reading through the drek on this forum he has built him up to be Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, and Gordie How all rolled into one.

Yeah, but according to the Crosby fan club here he's nowhere near as talented or good as Crosby and Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad