Ovechkin, Ovechkin, Ovechkin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Wow, i have never seen people obsess so much over one player!
"Ovechkin has a visor!"
"Why does ovechkin have a visor?"
"Does the visor have hidden meaning?"

"Ovechkin sits on the bench between periods!"
"Does that make him a leader or not"
"Is there hidden meaning behind him sitting on the bench"?

"Ovechkin said Russia is better, oh my God!"
"Ovechkin taunts people, how dare he?!"

Guys, whats next? Are you going to start talking about what he eats for breakfast and how much time he takes in the bathroom? You guys have way too much time on your hands and its a shame. The guy is a teenager, he doesnt know much about life and u are obsessing about his every move. Leave the kid alone...he will mature with time and you will all laugh about this

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I hear ya.

I think all this talk about anything and everything Ovechkin is his charisma or some sort of drawing power, be it negative or positive. It's kind of like celebrities. Everyone wants to know where he ate, what she bought, what clinic they're at. Whether people want to admit it or not, all this talk is based in some small way on the attraction to him. He's just charismatic! The world would be a boring place if not for people like him. Think about the visor thing. He could start a trend! Hey, someone (Gretzky) had to be the first to use the aluminum Eastons several years back. And now look....

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
today for breakfast he had scrambled eggs and toast. He later took a copy of The Ladies Home Journal and Euro Diver into the bathroom for 25 minutes.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Herbie Verstinks said:
today for breakfast he had scrambled eggs and toast. He later took a copy of The Ladies Home Journal and Euro Diver into the bathroom for 25 minutes.

:banghead:

Lanny MacDonald*

Actually I'm waiting for the Ovechkin is over-rated thread so we can try and bring this guy down to earth a bit. Reading through the drek on this forum he has built him up to be Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, and Gordie How all rolled into one. Good lord, you would think it was Russia that had run every team out of the building and that Ovechkin were leading the scoring derby by two converted touchdowns. This kid has talent, but he also has an ego that is writing checks he may never be able to cash. He should spend some time talking with Alexandre Daigle and Pavel Brendl. That much attitude can take you down the wrong road quickly.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Actually I'm waiting for the Ovechkin is over-rated thread so we can try and bring this guy down to earth a bit. Reading through the drek on this forum he has built him up to be Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, and Gordie How all rolled into one. Good lord, you would think it was Russia that had run every team out of the building and that Ovechkin were leading the scoring derby by two converted touchdowns. This kid has talent, but he also has an ego that is writing checks he may never be able to cash. He should spend some time talking with Alexandre Daigle and Pavel Brendl. That much attitude can take you down the wrong road quickly.

Very interesting post.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Alex Kovalev said:
Then he proceeded to head down to Lisa's beauty salon to get his nails and eyebrows done.

Until now, no one knew why he was wearing a reflective visor, but the truth he got drunk, passed out and woke up with 3 sheep in his hotel room and someone had shaved his eye brows off. Some say Ryan Suter is too blame.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Greatness/potential greatness conjures up envy in the masses. They'll do whatever they can to cut Ovechkin down to size.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
JohnGalt said:
Greatness/potential greatness conjures up envy in the masses. They'll do whatever they can to cut Ovechkin down to size.
Certainly seems like it.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
2forsbergaura1 said:
"Ovechkin has a visor!"
"Why does ovechkin have a visor?"
"Does the visor have hidden meaning?"

"Ovechkin sits on the bench between periods!"
"Does that make him a leader or not"
"Is there hidden meaning behind him sitting on the bench"?

"Ovechkin said Russia is better, oh my God!"
"Ovechkin taunts people, how dare he?!"

Guys, whats next? Are you going to start talking about what he eats for breakfast and how much time he takes in the bathroom? You guys have way too much time on your hands and its a shame. The guy is a teenager, he doesnt know much about life and u are obsessing about his every move. Leave the kid alone...he will mature with time and you will all laugh about this
It goes along with the hype. Didn't some also complained how the press would make news of every insignificant Sidney Crosby action? This is pretty much the same. I'm not obsessing over AO but from what I've seen of his behavior, I hate the kid. From memory, he's the most arrogant ***** I can remember. He has all the tools in the world except class and maturity. A few years ago, I was impressed of his maturity--everyone from both sides of the Atlantic were claiming how beyond his years AO was, skill-wise and mentally, but boy were we wrong on his mental state.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
People expect everybody to fit a certain mold and act a certain way, but that's unrealistic and it's not going to happen. People like Ovechkin make the game interesting and gives us something to talk about, especially with the lockout going on.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
1582Straka1897 said:
People expect everybody to fit a certain mold and act a certain way, but that's unrealistic and it's not going to happen. People like Ovechkin make the game interesting and gives us something to talk about, especially with the lockout going on.
Well Todd Bertuzzi made us talked a lot about him too. I don't think that giving people something to talk about is always a good thing.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Canuck21t said:
Well Todd Bertuzzi made us talked a lot about him too. I don't think that giving people something to talk about is always a good thing.
That is completly differant. Ovechkin and Malkin went over the line, but they never sucker punched and injure anyone. You can't even compare the two "incidents".
Edit: By the way, Bertuzzi is what, 27, 28 years old, an adult and he made it clear he was "out to get" Moore. Malkin and Ovechkin are 18 and 19 years old and did a stupid thing, most kids their age do. It was classless, but don't even compare them to Bertuzzi.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan_86

Nov 26, 2003
Contrary to many peoples beliefs, the Bertuzzi incident can't be compared to every incident that occurs in hockey! :mad:

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
1582Straka1897 said:
Edit: By the way, Bertuzzi is what, 27, 28 years old, an adult and he made it clear he was "out to get" Moore. Malkin and Ovechkin are 18 and 19 years old and did a stupid thing, most kids their age do. It was classless, but don't even compare them to Bertuzzi.

You can't call them kids. They're already worth more then I will ever make in my life, their financial situation is set for life.

They've probably been living on their own for at least a year, if not for 4 or 5. They play(and therefore) work with adults on a daily basis.

And, you have (real) men much younger that them going to war.

I just think he'll be suprised by the reception it gets him when he's not the star. He will have to be on the 3rd or 4th line untill he improves a bit to a top player, and when that happens, he won't have a bodyguard at all time on the ice. That'll make him realise how childish he is.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
2forsbergaura1 said:

I tried to stay away from most Ovechkin threads because by now, I know how things work around here.

As I've said countless time, Ovechkin is just following the path most phenoms take around here. They're hailed as the new "hawt thing", a legend is fabricated and then deconstructed. It's very typical of what takes place around here.

If try to keep the player in perspective, the good and the bad. So I don't worry when he's overly praised or criticized.

As far as I'm concerned he is a damn good player and that's the end of it but some fans will put these guys on pedestals and then microscopes. I've seen Ilya Kovalchuk labelled the next Klima so people can go ahead and mention Brendl and Daigle when talking about Ovechkin but it's not going to happen either.

Daigle is a fairly ordinary speedster who had overrated hockey sense and loses his composure faster than Paris Hilton loses her panties. Brendl for all his offense is not dynamic at all and one dimensional. They both needed a ton of work and are two examples of players who couldn't develop as well as they could have but carried enormous risks.

Ovechkin is the opposite. The guy was one of the brightest example of early blooming we have ever witnessed. Make no mistake, Ovechkin *will* play in the NHL and will be quite good. He doesn't have the one-trick pony risk factor the other two carry.

He's just coming down on the other side of the hype mountain right now. A dumb, typical HF reflex to go with the dumb, typical reflex of expecting the world out of these guys when they are 16 and 17 years old.

As far as his visor is concerned, it does give him a slight advantage and the NHL will probably rule one way or the other on this. It ain't nothing to worry about. It has less drawbacks on the ice than a synergy stick has and people whine all the time how we have too few goals in hockey. Besides, I doubt very much it would do a lot to his game. It may mean an ODD goal here and there in a season. The potential drawback is that if the NHL rules this legal, more players might use this. It might not be that great to see 20% of NHL forwards with that thing on. If the NHL makes it illegal, he won't play with it. I mean, is that really a big deal?

This is the way it's always been on HF and for some people who haven't learned the lesson, it's the way it will always be. In fact, it's actually getting worse as time goes by.

X0ssbar

Herbie Verstinks said:
Until now, no one knew why he was wearing a reflective visor, but the truth he got drunk, passed out and woke up with 3 sheep in his hotel room and someone had shaved his eye brows off. Some say Ryan Suter is too blame.

I don't care who you are, THAT post was funny :yo:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jocus said:
I just think he'll be suprised by the reception it gets him when he's not the star. He will have to be on the 3rd or 4th line untill he improves a bit to a top player,

Are you talking about Ovechkin? Who's going to bump him to the 3rd and 4th line in Washigton? Brian ****ing Willsie? Owen Fussey? It ain't going to happen. Ovechkin will be on a scoring line from the get go if he can outplay veterans, and chances are he will.

Even on a stronger team, this kid would have a shot at a top 2 line. He's already among what Russia has best to offer and he has performed admirably well against NHL veterans in the RSL and World Cup. Give your head a shake, it will be a big upset if he isn't one of the Caps' main players the minute he hits Washington.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
2forsbergaura1 said:
The guy is a teenager, he doesnt know much about life and u are obsessing about his every move.

Thats generalizing a bit. Many kids grow up without parents, siblings, family members because of tradegy. Your not giving Ovechkin any credit there, ha even tho you are sticking up for him in a way. Didnt his brother recently die in an accident or something else? I think that would influence him and give him a new outlook on life. I labsolutely love that he doesnt give a ****.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Thats generalizing a bit. Many kids grow up without parents, siblings, family members because of tradegy. Your not giving Ovechkin any credit there, ha even tho you are sticking up for him in a way. Didnt his brother recently die in an accident or something else? I think that would influence him and give him a new outlook on life. I labsolutely love that he doesnt give a ****.

Because he taunted American fans, he doesn't give a **** about his brother?? Does that seriously make sense to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad