Ovechkin now in the top 15 all time goal scorers

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Wouldn’t it be great if he scores 100 points this year? A tall order but he’s currently on pace for 101
As a guy that watches every Caps game I can tell you that he can do it, he's not even playing his best hockey right now nor has the team been healthy. The Caps powerplay isn't even scoring, they're 3 for their last 24, once Oshie and Wilson get back the league will be on notice.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
People keep predicting that Ovy will slow down every year, and every year he responds with a 50ish goal season. He only needs a couple more of these before the odds of Ovy beating the record moves from possible to highly likely.
The best part of this nonsense prediction is that he's actually doing the opposite. For 3 years he was a mid 30 goal scorer completely hampered by his coaches and he's now regained just below his peak goal scoring rate. I don't get how anyone can deny that he's the greatest goal scorer in league history, it's inevitable.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I hate playing the I told you so card... However, on this point, I feel vindicated. The thing that stood out to me early on in Ovechkin's career that folks didn't seem to fully grasp is that he is uniquely built to "not break" (much like his famous quote). People didn't seem to take that into account when projecting his career.

He just has this barrel chested, thick, build that isn't nearly as susceptible to injury. Of course, his world class shot is important, but people kept expecting his body to fail him (as typically happens to world-class athletes).

At some point it will, but he's got inordinate staying power on that point.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I hate playing the I told you so card... However, on this point, I feel vindicated. The thing that stood out to me early on in Ovechkin's career that folks didn't seem to fully grasp is that he is uniquely built to "not break" (much like his famous quote). People didn't seem to take that into account when projecting his career.

He just has this barrel chested, thick, build that isn't nearly as susceptible to injury. Of course, his world class shot is important, but people kept expecting his body to fail him (as typically happens to world-class athletes).

At some point it will, but he's got inordinate staying power on that point.
While I agree, any player can be chopped down at the knees of which Kadri tried to do to him a few years ago in the playoffs. I still don't get how he wasn't suspended for that low bridge hit btw. Ovechkin didn't complain despite the massive deep tissue bruise in his thigh that hampered from then on. He was criticized heavily for deteriorating minutes and diminished speed but didn't make a single excuse at all and was the only Cap close to scoring in the game 7 loss to the Pens that year.

Durability is such an overlooked attribute and Ovechkin does not break.

Last edited:

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
While I agree, any player can be chopped down at the knees of which Kadri tried to do to him a few years ago in the playoffs. I still don't get how he wasn't suspended for that low bridge hit btw. Ovechkin didn't complain despite the massive deep tissue bruise in his thigh that hampered from then on. He was criticized heavily for deteriorating minutes and diminished speed but didn't make a single excuse at all and was the only Cap close to scoring in the game 7 loss to the Pens that year.

Durability is such an overlooked attribute and Ovechkin does not break.

That's the way it's played. Some players get credit for what they would have done if they weren't missing time due to injuries while Ovy doesn't get credit for what he did do while playing.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
That's the way it's played. Some players get credit for what they would have done if they weren't missing time due to injuries while Ovy doesn't get credit for what he did do while playing.

100% agree... Yes, there is some luck involved, but he absorbs hits better than almost any player I've ever seen.

It looks like someone has him, but they end up bouncing off him in ways that sometimes seem to defy physics.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He's amazingly great scorer. And he's playing like one of the best players in the league right now.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
giphy-88.gif

perhaps the best goal scorer of all time

unreal stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->